[**SOLVED**] 2.3.12 REenable ad hoc wifi networks under ICS - wpa_supplicant

Search This thread

dinagoshen

Feb 16, 2011
Has anyone tried this on SGS i9000 4.2 teamicssgs by any chance ?

there is no wpa_supplicant2 there, only wpa_supplicant...

ssciberras

Feb 29, 2012
Many thanks, saved from going back to hc.

using revolver ics rom by gnufabio, and sending this with your modification

codai0811

Jul 22, 2010
I did as your instruction,my device(TF201) could find ad-hoc wifi but it couldn't connect,please show me how to connect it by ad-hoc wifi from computer.(sorry for bad english) thanks.

Last edited:

wbucket

Mar 23, 2012
Has anyone tried this on SGS i9000 4.2 teamicssgs by any chance ?

there is no wpa_supplicant2 there, only wpa_supplicant...
Hi, I am using Acer iconia tab and I encounter similar problem.

The funny thing is I can rename or delate the wpa_supplicant file, but can't change permission. Then after renaming or deleting the file, I exit and re-enter system/bin, the wpa_supplicant file is back to its original state.

Jan 24, 2012
Zürich
Thanks for the good research. N9 is now my Hotspot.
I little issue though:
With the replaced file I can't reconnect to my router at home. So I keep renaming files all the time, well ...
Edit: just turning on and off my wifi-router has helped also. Thanks namebrandon
Thanks again

Last edited:

eroshka

Feb 12, 2008
Thank you a lot!

ICS on the Prime, for many, took a step back and now claims "ad hoc networks are not supported". So, many of us who have been tethering the last few weeks via a tethering app now cannot as ICS is seeing the network as ad hoc and is now reporting that is not supported. I personally used wireless tether under Honeycomb every single day on my Prime. Now, for me, and many, we cannot. I have a whole growing thread in the general area and it really seems this is the root of the issue for those of us that do not have built in wifi hot spots and use a tether app.

So, is this something a dev can sort out? How to get back ad hoc network support under ICS on the Prime? I have seen topics on it in google like this one, but this "fix" did not work.

(BTW - if a mod thinks this is not in the right place and wants to move it to the General thread, please just delete this as there is already a thread there, but a help request in the dev area seemed logical. If not, sorry.)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

IT HAS BEEN SOLVED 2.3.12

Based on a post I read the other day, and that I was asked to test today, I decided to try 1 more time and it worked!! But not how I expected. I tried 3 tests... the final one worked!!

So, here is the process:

1. root is required AND make sure you have your file system app (like Root Explorer) set to make files R/W so you can edit/rename/set permissions
2. turn off wifi
3. go into system/bin and rename wpa_supplicant2 to wpa_supplicant2.bak - that's right folks.. it is NOT wpa_supplicant but wpa_supplicant2 that is running the show
3. download the wpa_supplicant file found here post #24 in my other thread
4. unzip it
5. rename it wpa_supplicant2 NOT wpa_supplicant
6. move it to system/bin and paste it
7. set permissions to xxx, x, xxx (columns) - see more details below if confused
8. go back and start up wifi
9. turn on wifi analyzer and you will see (*)AndroidTether with no red Ad Hoc notation!!
10. click to connect
11. surf and tether away!!

No rebooting needed, it is instant

I am using the good old original Wireless tether 2.0.7 app I always used! None of those beta releases and picking settings and blah blah

Yes, I was able to connect right back to my local wifi with no issues as well!

PLEASE hit the thanks button, I worked long and hard on trying to get this to work

#7 details if you don't understand permissions settings

When you set permissions (long press the file) a pop-up opens and it shows 3 columns with 3 checkboxes in each. Each "x" is to be checked

Read...Write...Execute
x..........x..........x
x......................x
x......................x

Thanks for excellent research! Now it's working very well. Again thanks.

perrydoright

Apr 5, 2012
Not working for Xoom

On the Xoom there is no wga_supplicant2 only wga_supplicant. Adding a #2 is pointless. There has not been any solution to getting ad-hoc to work on my Xoom it worked fine on Honeycomb but now fails on ICS.:eek:

McLiarpants

Jan 13, 2012
So...I used this fix under .15 and it worked great.

I updated to .21 and couldn't get my Prime to connect to my ad hoc tether, so decided to try this again.

But...I forgot the step to rename the file to wpa...2 and over wrote my original wpa_sup file. Does anyone have this original file they can post or PM me?

I don't really want to factory reset. Any help available?

newdad28

Apr 29, 2011
Austin, TX
Any update to this?

I just got my Prime, haven't rooted (and would rather not, I'm not real techy)...hoping there's some super simple way to get the Prime to accept/use the Ad-hoc signal from my Rezound ...or if someone knows of a specific wifi tether app I can get that broadcasts something other than the ad-hoc signal..that'd be cool!

robertg9

Nov 29, 2007
Sterling, VA.
I just got my Prime, haven't rooted (and would rather not, I'm not real techy)...hoping there's some super simple way to get the Prime to accept/use the Ad-hoc signal from my Rezound ...or if someone knows of a specific wifi tether app I can get that broadcasts something other than the ad-hoc signal..that'd be cool!

If you have installed update .21, then you don't need this mod.

newdad28

Apr 29, 2011
Austin, TX
If you have installed update .21, then you don't need this mod.

My build number is: IML74K.US_epad-9.4.2.21-20120323

My Wi-fi version is: v6.1.1.22

I'm sooo not techy..does that look like I've got update .21? If not, I see tons of mentions about that update but after reading for 30 minutes can't tell if it's something I have to go manually update myself or what... more help please? Thanks in advance!!

JEVARI

Jul 26, 2011
Desoto
My build number is: IML74K.US_epad-9.4.2.21-20120323

My Wi-fi version is: v6.1.1.22

I'm sooo not techy..does that look like I've got update .21? If not, I see tons of mentions about that update but after reading for 30 minutes can't tell if it's something I have to go manually update myself or what... more help please? Thanks in advance!!

yes you are running .21

newdad28

Apr 29, 2011
Austin, TX
Aggghhh...my wifi is on, picking up a signal from my phone...and all it lets me do is save it. I hit "connect" and it doesn't do anything.

Are there reports of people running .21 who still can't connect to wifi from their phones? (other than me)

robertg9

Nov 29, 2007
Sterling, VA.
Aggghhh...my wifi is on, picking up a signal from my phone...and all it lets me do is save it. I hit "connect" and it doesn't do anything.

Are there reports of people running .21 who still can't connect to wifi from their phones? (other than me)

I'm thinking that your problem is Phone related (because of Verizon)
What kind of phone is Rezound? Win, or Android?
Are you running a stock ROM, or a custom ROM?
If you are running stock, the problem may be Verizon....They frown on tethering, without buying their Wifi Hotspot and an individual data plan.

I'm running Win6.5 Custom ROM, and get around the Verizon limitations. My tether of choice is WNWiFiRouter....not free, but works good.

I don't know what their position is on Android phones.

Unless someone else chimes in, I'd start out reading stuff in the Rezound forum (if there is one), looking especially for people on Verizon.

Good luck,
Bob

PS. Since you're on .21, this thread doesn't really apply to your situation. This would be primarily for people on .15. I'd either find a different thread, or start a new one....but first, check out the phone...

Will your phone tether to a laptop?

newdad28

Apr 29, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm thinking that your problem is Phone related (because of Verizon)
What kind of phone is Rezound? Win, or Android?

Are you running a stock ROM, or a custom ROM?
If you are running stock, the problem may be Verizon....They frown on tethering, without buying their Wifi Hotspot and an individual data plan.

I'm running Win6.5 Custom ROM, and get around the Verizon limitations. My tether of choice is WNWiFiRouter....not free, but works good.

I don't know what their position is on Android phones.

Unless someone else chimes in, I'd start out reading stuff in the Rezound forum (if there is one), looking especially for people on Verizon.

Good luck,
Bob

PS. Since you're on .21, this thread doesn't really apply to your situation. This would be primarily for people on .15. I'd either find a different thread, or start a new one....but first, check out the phone...

Will your phone tether to a laptop?

HTC Rezound, rooted android, stock ROM

I have been using my phone as a wifi hotspot for several months and have never had trouble connecting to it from any other device (I have an old Transformer, 4 different laptops, etc)

I'll look into this, thanks!!

---Thanks!

acjohnson

Nov 22, 2007
Thank you so much! Ad-hock working perfectly now on my Acer Iconia A500 after the ICS update that just came in.

Bastaerd

Aug 20, 2011
Amsterdam

One here, my TFP doen't want to connect to my Nokia E71.
Replacing wpa_supplicant2 solves it though :)

ricorico94

Jul 25, 2012
Frederic carrss

Hi,
I've tried to replace the supplicant file as explained in first post on my TF700T (9.4.5.22), but it still does not work. I try to connect it on a Nokia E7-00 with Belle, which can only share in ad hoc mode.
I read on the forum where the supplicant file was hosted that it was only working with ICS alpha: is it true ?
Do you still have this trick working, or there's no way anymore ?

@Basteard:
One here, my TFP doen't want to connect to my Nokia E71.
Replacing wpa_supplicant2 solves it though
Is it this supplicant file you used ?
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=884937&d=1328225584
(the link in the link of first post of this thread )
What is the FW of your transformer prime ?

ricorico94

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ICS on the Prime, for many, took a step back and now claims "ad hoc networks are not supported". So, many of us who have been tethering the last few weeks via a tethering app now cannot as ICS is seeing the network as ad hoc and is now reporting that is not supported. I personally used wireless tether under Honeycomb every single day on my Prime. Now, for me, and many, we cannot. I have a whole growing thread in the general area and it really seems this is the root of the issue for those of us that do not have built in wifi hot spots and use a tether app.

So, is this something a dev can sort out? How to get back ad hoc network support under ICS on the Prime? I have seen topics on it in google like this one, but this "fix" did not work.

(BTW - if a mod thinks this is not in the right place and wants to move it to the General thread, please just delete this as there is already a thread there, but a help request in the dev area seemed logical. If not, sorry.)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

IT HAS BEEN SOLVED 2.3.12

Based on a post I read the other day, and that I was asked to test today, I decided to try 1 more time and it worked!! But not how I expected. I tried 3 tests... the final one worked!!

So, here is the process:

1. root is required AND make sure you have your file system app (like Root Explorer) set to make files R/W so you can edit/rename/set permissions
    2. turn off wifi
    3. go into system/bin and rename wpa_supplicant2 to wpa_supplicant2.bak - that's right folks.. it is NOT wpa_supplicant but wpa_supplicant2 that is running the show
    3. download the wpa_supplicant file found here post #24 in my other thread
    4. unzip it
    5. rename it wpa_supplicant2 NOT wpa_supplicant
    6. move it to system/bin and paste it
    7. set permissions to xxx, x, xxx (columns) - see more details below if confused
    8. go back and start up wifi
    9. turn on wifi analyzer and you will see (*)AndroidTether with no red Ad Hoc notation!!
    10. click to connect
    11. surf and tether away!!

No rebooting needed, it is instant

I am using the good old original Wireless tether 2.0.7 app I always used! None of those beta releases and picking settings and blah blah

Yes, I was able to connect right back to my local wifi with no issues as well!

PLEASE hit the thanks button, I worked long and hard on trying to get this to work

#7 details if you don't understand permissions settings

When you set permissions (long press the file) a pop-up opens and it shows 3 columns with 3 checkboxes in each. Each "x" is to be checked

Read...Write...Execute
    x..........x..........x
    x......................x
    x......................x
    hxxp://tabletroms.com/forums/ice-cream-sandwich-adam/4262-working-ni-adam-ics-adhoc.html

tested and works fine on my 10.1 tab running ICS
    YMMV

-edit- tried to add as attachment
    While I understand that it's easier to just talk to a dev over IRC, I really hope a working solution can be released here soon.
    I seriously wish people would research the true issue before just posting up that "it works"... there is a whole HUGE thread that explains why it does not AND IF IT DOES why it does work for you and not others.

Not only that... there are whole trial and error tests with ALL versions of Wireless tether - including all beta versions.
    check post 1.. directions and screenshot are in place!!

(please hit the thanks button :) )