[Guide][Noobs]How to convert bootanimation.zip to bootsamsung.qmg ?

Search This thread

Naddict

Nov 23, 2011
28.2S, 92.1W
Thread lightly cleaned of off topic and unnecessary comments.

Take the requests or claims of credit needs to PM, which should be between the two primary members, not observers. The rules for resolving said issues can be found by clicking the link in my signature.

Be nice to each other, give credit when credit is due, or get out.

Edit... Apologies for thread lock... It is now opened so that members can respectfully resolve things... Cheers!

Last edited:

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force

Take the requests or claims of credit needs to PM, which should be between the two primary members, not observers. The rules for resolving said issues can be found by clicking the link in my signature.

Edit... Apologies for thread lock... It is now opened so that members can respectfully resolve things... Cheers!
Hope you won't close it again :)
Tbh, I didn't know the bootanimation's author didn't want it to be used on Samsung Devices (only Nexus).
I deleted the attachment now....

Regards,
Nonta

swifter78neo

Jun 17, 2014
Hi, I followed your steps to the dot for the Android 5.0 L preview boot animation, here. I got the 480, 30fps one. The non looping part, part 1 has 146 pictures and the second part, which loops, has 35. The thing is, it takes 11 seconds for my Note II (GT-N7105) to finish the first part and an extra 2s to finish the second part. I tried a value of 0, 2, and then 4 for the both parts, but it still takes the same amount of time. Do you know why?

It's supposed to be over in 1.5s :p
LpoeUzP.gif

Thanks in advance :D

Also, the pictures are 480x291, but the animation is stretched fullscreen on my phone. I'll try to solve it later though, the fps thing seems worse :p

If it helps, I'm on stock 4.4.2 rom with a custom recovery and kernel, rooted.

Last edited:

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force
Hi, I followed your steps to the dot for the Android 5.0 L preview boot animation, here. I got the 480, 30fps one. The non looping part, part 1 has 146 pictures and the second part, which loops, has 35. The thing is, it takes 11 seconds for my Note II (GT-N7105) to finish the first part and an extra 2s to finish the second part. I tried a value of 0, 2, and then 4 for the both parts, but it still takes the same amount of time. Do you know why?

LpoeUzP.gif

Also, the pictures are 480x291, but the animation is stretched fullscreen on my phone. I'll try to solve it later though, the fps thing seems worse :p

I will TRY to convert it myself maybe I can discover what's happening :).
BEFORE I DO SO, PLEASE ASK THE OWNER FOR USING HIS FILES !

swifter78neo

Jun 17, 2014

LpoeUzP.gif

Hi, I flashed this, it failed. Then I flashed this, and the boot animation worked perfectly.

At least now I know how to create my own boot animation if I feel up to it, from your guide. :good:

Thanks! :laugh:

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
I seem to be caught in a problem with image sizes and aspect ratios. Specifically, I want to convert CountdownDroid into a .qmg. The how-to rocks! But... the .zip images are 610x816. When I check the background with the ST emulator, only the upper left corner of the image shows up. Now what?

FWIW, this animation will be used with an S5.

Added: The zip of the RAZR "reactor" animation is 540x960, and the horizontal HTC ICS "ANDY TRON" animation is 960x540 (landscape).

Last edited:

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force
I seem to be caught in a problem with image sizes and aspect ratios. Specifically, I want to convert CountdownDroid into a .qmg. The how-to rocks! But... the .zip images are 610x816. When I check the background with the ST emulator, only the upper left corner of the image shows up. Now what?

Added: The zip of the RAZR "reactor" animation is 540x960, and the horizontal HTC ICS "ANDY TRON" animation is 960x540 (landscape).
Give me links to Bootanimations and then I will convert them for you !

DON'T FORGET TO ASK THE OWNER FOR PERMISSIONS !

Reactions: pas2001

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
Um, I embedded the links to bootanimations in my post. But I really want to know how to make different resolutions work with the Samsung tool. Or is the preview tool, with its small screen, just misleading me?

nunclud

Mar 31, 2010
How to convert bootanimation.zip into a bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg :
Hello xda forum members/users/visitors !
Today I am sharing with you how to convert a bootanimation.zip into a bootsamsung.qmg or bootsamsungloop.qmg :highfive:
Pretty simple steps !
I did my best to make the tutorial simplier for NOOBS (like me) :D
What you need:
- Samsung Theme Designer
- 7zip
- bootanimation.zip you want to convert
- And the most important thing: A working brain
Step 1: Converting to bootsamsung.qmg

1) Download and install above programs

2) Open up Samsung Theme Designer

3) Click on the "ST" icon

3) Chose "Create New Theme"

4) Let it on "Non-touchscreen phone" and click "Ok"

5) In phones list click "GT-5520(Spring)", on the right side, click "Default", then give a name to your project and then "Ok"

6) Now, on the left side, click "Idle background", go to the right side, click "Background Type" and set it to "Animated"

7) Go to the downloaded bootanimation.zip, extract it somewhere, open up the extracted folder, go to part0 or part1 and look at the number items in the folder (lower left side)

Tuto4_zps765f5b84.png

8) Go back to Samsung Theme Designer, click "Frame", write the number of your bootanimation picture and hit "Enter" (on your Keyboard :p )

9) Now for "Durattion", you need a working "Brain" ! Open desc.txt of your bootanimation, look for "XXp" (XX stand for a number) Exemple:
480 800 14p 0 0 part1 (here we need 14p)

Try to convert by refering to this:

1000 / 20 FPS = 50 ms

1000 / 25 FPS = 40 ms

Note: You may simply put "30" or "50" if you don't know how to do the conversion :silly:

10) Go to part0/part1 folder of your bootanimation (extracted), select all pictures, Drag and Drop them into "Animation Object Window" in Samsung Theme Designer

11) Now save the theme (just in case you need it again)

12) Click "Export Theme" then "Export", Accept agreement, and click "Confirm". Now the program will compress the bootanimation. It may

take long time if you've many pictures !

13) When finished, click "Ok" and a poup-up will come out, click "Yes"

14) Now right click on "yourprojectname.smt" and open in "7zip"

15) Click on "IdleBgAnimObj.qmg" and extract it to somewhere.

16) Go to the Extracted file and rename it from IdleBgAnimObj.qmg to bootsamsung.qmg and transfer it to your phone. Now push into system/media and give a rw-r-r permission

Step 2: Converting into bootsamsungloop.qmg:

1) Repeat sub-step 1 to 6 of step 1.

2) After step 6, click "Repeat" (under "Duration") and set it to "True"

3) Now Continue with the rest of step 1

4) For renaming, rename it to "bootsamsungloop.qmg" instead.

Note:

1) You should use files in part1 folder for step 1 and the ones in part0 folder for step 2

2) Use the same files if you don't have part0 and part1

3) Basically type "50" in sub-step 9 of step 1 if you canNOT find the right number :cowboy:

Warning:

Without bootsamsungloop.qmg your device will go boot loop !

Always make a nandroid backup or a backup of bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg (only if you've TWRP or PhilzTouch w/ AromeFM) just in case anything goes wrong.

That's all,

Hope you like it. :angel:

Nice work. I want to make boot animation for N7100 from the android L boot animation but the file have 5 parts, which of them do i use or do i merge the content of the whole 5 parts. again do i select non touch device or otherwise.

Thanks

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force
Um, I embedded the links to bootanimations in my post. But I really want to know how to make different resolutions work with the Samsung tool. Or is the preview tool, with its small screen, just misleading me?
I still don't get your question sir :mad:

Nice work. I want to make boot animation for N7100 from the android L boot animation but the file have 5 parts, which of them do i use or do i merge the content of the whole 5 parts. again do i select non touch device or otherwise.

Thanks
Post link to the boot animation and I will convert it for you.
ASK THE OWNER FOR PERMISSIONS 1ST.

Reactions: tbird83ii

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
My question is about screen dimensions. All three of the ZIP's I want to convert have higher screen dimensions than the screen in the Samsung Theme Editor (280 x 400). The countdown zip uses 610 x 816, for example. I went through the conversion process, but when I played it back in the Theme Editor, I only saw the upper left corner. The question is whether the resulting qmg is usable or not, and what will show up the S5's 1080 x 1920 screen.

tbird83ii

Oct 17, 2009
Minneapolis
Not so complicated, but a bit tricky to explain :silly:
I am just happy it's working :D

@Nonta72 - since the author would not want his work being used, I am in the process of creating my own Watch_Dogs themed boot anim using my own resources. My question is: in a .zip boot anim, there is a desc.txt which lets the device know how many times to play/loop each partx folder. How were you able to get similar functionality out of a qmg?

I will keep trying to hack it myself, but just thought I would ask.

-TBird

Nonta72

Mar 27, 2013
Speed Force
@Nonta72 - since the author would not want his work being used, I am in the process of creating my own Watch_Dogs themed boot anim using my own resources. My question is: in a .zip boot anim, there is a desc.txt which lets the device know how many times to play/loop each partx folder. How were you able to get similar functionality out of a qmg?

I will keep trying to hack it myself, but just thought I would ask.

-TBird
I'm not still sure to understand your question :mad:
But one thing is sure, the QMG file doesn't contain any desc.txt file :)

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA

Bump

I have some ZIP animations at a higher resolution than the Samsung Theme Developer (it uses 240 x 400). See the samples cited above for their resolutions, which are all higher than 240 x 400.

How do I handle these higher resolutions when the Samsung Theme Developer uses 240 x 400 (lower resolution)?

tbird83ii

Oct 17, 2009
Minneapolis
Bump

I have some ZIP animations at a higher resolution than the Samsung Theme Developer (it uses 240 x 400). See the samples cited above for their resolutions, which are all higher than 240 x 400.

How do I handle these higher resolutions when the Samsung Theme Developer uses 240 x 400 (lower resolution)?

So far (after playing around for a while) I have noticed two things:

1. If the total file size is too large, it will not compile correctly, and ends up with just a black screen (and on the GS4, it can cause your to lose "screen rotation" for some reason).
2. 1280x720 seems to work better than other resolutions for my phone (Samsung GS4).

The file I am currently (still) working on uses screen caps from the game itself on PC. I recorded a video and pulled screenshots off Steam. Also, using After effects, I am adding in a seconds worth of modified Arch linux bootsplash, just to give it flavor.

So to answer your question - even if its bigger than 200x400, it still compiles it, but only up to a certain point - I don't know what the cutoff IS, but 1280x720 works for me, and 1920x1080 does not.

-Tbird

Last edited:
Reactions: RBEmerson

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to convert bootanimation.zip into a bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg :
    Today I am sharing with you how to convert a bootanimation.zip into a bootsamsung.qmg or bootsamsungloop.qmg :highfive:
    Pretty simple steps !
    What you need:
    - Samsung Theme Designer
    - 7zip

5) In phones list click "GT-5520(Spring)", on the right side, click "Default", then give a name to your project and then "Ok"

6) Now, on the left side, click "Idle background", go to the right side, click "Background Type" and set it to "Animated"

7) Go to the downloaded bootanimation.zip, extract it somewhere, open up the extracted folder, go to part0 or part1 and look at the number items in the folder (lower left side)

Tuto4_zps765f5b84.png

8) Go back to Samsung Theme Designer, click "Frame", write the number of your bootanimation picture and hit "Enter" (on your Keyboard :p )

9) Now for "Durattion", you need a working "Brain" ! Open desc.txt of your bootanimation, look for "XXp" (XX stand for a number) Exemple:
    480 800 14p 0 0 part1 (here we need 14p)

1000 / 20 FPS = 50 ms

1000 / 25 FPS = 40 ms

Note: You may simply put "30" or "50" if you don't know how to do the conversion :silly:

10) Go to part0/part1 folder of your bootanimation (extracted), select all pictures, Drag and Drop them into "Animation Object Window" in Samsung Theme Designer

12) Click "Export Theme" then "Export", Accept agreement, and click "Confirm". Now the program will compress the bootanimation. It may

16) Go to the Extracted file and rename it from IdleBgAnimObj.qmg to bootsamsung.qmg and transfer it to your phone. Now push into system/media and give a rw-r-r permission

Note:

1) You should use files in part1 folder for step 1 and the ones in part0 folder for step 2

2) Use the same files if you don't have part0 and part1

3) Basically type "50" in sub-step 9 of step 1 if you canNOT find the right number :cowboy:

Warning:

Always make a nandroid backup or a backup of bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg (only if you've TWRP or PhilzTouch w/ AromeFM) just in case anything goes wrong.

That's all,

Hello , Nonta ,

I want to just ask you that in my part 0 folder there are 28 pics and in part 1 folder there are 15 pics . So , what I have to put in the frame ?
    28 or 15 or 43 ? Please reply me soon .

Don't forget to press thanks .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Hey,
    Here's how to convert to get the proper FPS !
    5 FPS = 80ms (Too damn SLOW !!! )
    10 FPS = 70ms
    15 FPS = 60ms
    20 FPS = 50ms
    25 FPS = 40ms
    30 FPS = 30ms
    35 FPS = 20ms
    40 FPS = 10ms
    45 FPS = 5ms
    50 FPS = 0ms (High-End devices only !!! Don't try this since NO released device can handle it !)

How to get the exact FPS of your bootanimation.zip ?

Simple :angel:

Open up desc.txt of your bootanimation.zip and look at the number after the bootanimation resolution :)
    It should look like this:

480 800 30
    p 0 0 part0

Here "30" is the FPS :D and the resolution is 480x800 (S2, Note 1 screen resolution aka WXGA)

Sent from my GT-P5210 powered by AmatROM HD
    Pretty simple steps !
    What you need:
    - Samsung Theme Designer
    - 7zip

Tuto4_zps765f5b84.png

9) Now for "Durattion", you need a working "Brain" ! Open desc.txt of your bootanimation, look for "XXp" (XX stand for a number) Exemple: 480

800 14p 0 0 part1 (here we need 14p)

1000 / 20 FPS = 50 ms

1000 / 25 FPS = 40 ms

Note:

2) Use the same file if you don't have part0 and part1

3) Basically type "50" in sub-step 9 of step 1 if you canNOT find the right number :cowby:

Warning:

Always make a nandroid backup or a backup of bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg (only if you've TWRP or PhilzTouch w/

AromeFM) just in case anything goes wrong.

That's all,

Hello , Nonta ,

I want to just ask you that in my part 0 folder there are 28 pics and in part 1 folder there are 15 pics . So , what I have to put in the frame ?
    28 or 15 or 43 ? Please reply me soon .

Don't forget to press thanks .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Hey,
    Here's how to convert to get the proper FPS !
    5 FPS = 80ms (Too damn SLOW !!! )
    10 FPS = 70ms
    15 FPS = 60ms
    20 FPS = 50ms
    25 FPS = 40ms
    30 FPS = 30ms
    35 FPS = 20ms
    40 FPS = 10ms
    45 FPS = 5ms
    50 FPS = 0ms (High-End devices only !!! Don't try this since NO released device can handle it !)

How to get the exact FPS of your bootanimation.zip ?

Simple :angel:

Open up desc.txt of your bootanimation.zip and look at the number after the bootanimation resolution :)
    It should look like this:

480 800 30
    p 0 0 part0

Here "30" is the FPS :D and the resolution is 480x800 (S2, Note 1 screen resolution aka WXGA)

Sent from my GT-P5210 powered by AmatROM HD

Thanks bro :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: