BackTrack 5 ARM (with GUI via TightVNCServer)

Search This thread

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
Mine's erroring out when I get to the sh bootbt command. Error is:

#sh bootbt
ioctl LOOP_SET_FD failed: Bad file number
mount: No such file or directory
bootbt: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: directory nonexistent
bootbt: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/hosts: directory nonexistent
chroot: can't execute '/bin/bash': No such file or directory
failed.
failed.
failed.
failed.

I've got the latest busybox installed, even tried adb remount, can't figure this out. Running rooted 3.1 with a custom 1.4ghz kernel.

dougvan

Jan 3, 2005
I had the same exact problem until I realized I didn't rtfm and follow the directions contained in the readme inside the archive for this.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

deadlineone

Mar 15, 2010
Why i cannot scan for wireless network? The Console give me Back, the Adapter doesn't support scanning? Has anyone this Problem also?

daijizai

Oct 27, 2005
This installation cannot hurt your phone any, so feel free to give it a shot and post your results!

I disagree. bootbt leaves /system mounted rw. If this thing then runs in a chroot, why does /system need to be rw?

At a bare minimum I feel that:
Code:
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

should be added to the end of the bootbt shell script to not leave your device vulnerable.

daijizai

Oct 27, 2005
I cannot help but to think that the perfect device for this would actually be the HardKernel ODROID-A, not the Xoom.

Also, I doubt that, without USB host support, we will ever get a wireless interface capable of monitor mode and packet injection. The wireless chip in your device I don't ever expect to be able to be exposed to BT5.

chris17922

Aug 21, 2010
hey man, i manage to get all the way to the part of android vnc, and put my password and change the port and everything as u said but when i click connect it always gives me an ip address kind of thing and connection refused... Did i forget to do something important?

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
hey man, i manage to get all the way to the part of android vnc, and put my password and change the port and everything as u said but when i click connect it always gives me an ip address kind of thing and connection refused... Did i forget to do something important?

Are you getting an error when running tightvncserver saying it's not running on screen 1 or whatever? There are lock files in /tmp/, the .X ones, type ls -a from /tmp/ and you'll see them. You have to remove the lock files and the .X11-whatever directory(which you have to delete all the files in it before you can rmdir it)...

Reactions: chris17922

blkr00t

Apr 17, 2008
Does anyone have a way to get the mouse to work better on the Xoom? I get connected fine and everything and can move the mouse around but cannot click anything.

bossjeeves

Nov 23, 2010
what do you mean for help? the mouse with not follow your finger but as you touch objects, it will click them.

Reactions: blkr00t

JungleJiujitsu

Sep 12, 2010
Westbury, NY
Mine's erroring out when I get to the sh bootbt command. Error is:

#sh bootbt
ioctl LOOP_SET_FD failed: Bad file number
bootbt: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: directory nonexistent
bootbt: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/hosts: directory nonexistent
chroot: can't execute '/bin/bash': No such file or directory
failed.
failed.
failed.
failed.

I've got the latest busybox installed, even tried adb remount, can't figure this out. Running rooted 3.1 with a custom 1.4ghz kernel.

Im familiar with BackTrack and aircrack-ng and penetration testing commands but I am also getting this error. Please forgive my ignorance but can you please post what you did to get passed this? TIA!

blkr00t

Apr 17, 2008
make sure you are in the /sdcard/BT5 dir

make sure you issue su command

then you should be good to go...This works perfectly for me. I was sooo amazed at how snappy Backtrack is running this way...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Backtrack (http://www.backtrack-linux.org)
    Backtrack-Linux.org, home of the highest rated and acclaimed Linux security distribution to date. BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. Regardless if you’re making BackTrack you Install BackTrack, boot it from a Live DVD or thumbdrive, the penetration distribution has been customized down to every package, kernel configuration, script and patch solely for the purpose of the penetration tester.

Here is a guide to getting ARM Backtrack Running on the Xoom (tested on Wifi Only Version, running 3.1)

After much frustration I have gotten the GUI part of the backtrack 5 arm release working with the Motorola Xoom.

This has only been tested to work on the Xoom. But it should work just fine with any other device that supports linux, and should work especially well on anything with a dual-core processor (G2X, Atrix, etc.)

Pre-requisites:
    - Rooted Motorola Xoom
    - androidVNC from the Android Market
    - Terminal Emulator from the Android Market (which you should already have)
    - Backtrack 5 for ARM with Gnome downloaded and setup (check the README file, and follow the instructions.)
    Link: Backtrack 5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/. This tutorial will assume you put Backtrack 5 in the folder /sdcard/BT5 like the README says.

Launch the terminal emulator and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    cd /sdcard/BT5
    su
    sh bootbt
    BackTrack will start up in shell. You will get a red line that says "root@localhost:". To verify if you type:
    Code:
    ls pentest
    It should echo back the folders in pentest, stuff like 'backdoors','database',etc.

At this point enter the following commands:
    Code:
    export USER=root
    vncpasswd

When you type in 'vncpasswd' this is to the the password for the tightvncserver. Since I only connect locally I just use 'qwerty' for my password, and then confirm the password. [Edit] Apparently you can skip this step, as the default password for vnc is simply, 'toortoor' (root backwards, twice).

When it asks if you want to create a view only password just type 'n' and hit enter. After you have your password setup for vnc start the server up.
    Code:
    tightvncserver -geometry 1280x800

When this happens you will get a message confirming that "New 'X' Desktop is localhost:1" and a bunch of other random stuff below it (it isn't important unless there are errors listed).

At this point, press the "HOME" button on the Xoom and then open the application "androidVNC".
    -In the "Nickname" box, you can name it whatever you like.
    -In the "password" entry, use your password (mine is 'qwerty').
    -In the "Address" box you can type in localhost (or leave it blank).

****Change the port from 5900 to 5901.
    [Edit] TightVNCServer uses 5901 by default, but if you are having connection errors it may have changed to something else. View the TightVNCServer logs (which I believe are under /root/.vnc/, do an 'ls -a' and a 'nano logfilename') to check to see what port was in use.

I also recommend setting the color-depth to 24-bit. After that press the "connect" button, and bam! You're rocking Backtrack 5 on your motorola xoom!!

You're welcome to repost this on other message boards of on your website, please just give me credit though. Thank you and enjoy!

5711241049_7a97aff4c3.jpg
    There is a slight error in your commands I believe. To change the VNC password it should be vncpasswd rather than vpnpasswd.
    Port for me was 5902 btw. I was stumped until I looked at the tightvnc log.

Monitor mode does not appear to work and maybe some things have changed since Backtrack 3 but I couldn't locate aircrack-ng.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Are you getting an error when running tightvncserver saying it's not running on screen 1 or whatever? There are lock files in /tmp/, the .X ones, type ls -a from /tmp/ and you'll see them. You have to remove the lock files and the .X11-whatever directory(which you have to delete all the files in it before you can rmdir it)...
    what do you mean for help? the mouse with not follow your finger but as you touch objects, it will click them.
    this is just a live CD that is booted from a VM runinng within HC.