[ROM][GSM][LATAM RAZR] ICS 4.0.4 upgrade guide - "not so permanent now"

Search This thread
I didn't needed to reboot mine since the update! ;)

I'm lost at what ics leak you're running at the moment tho and i bet I'm not the only one. ;)

That custom block - do i need to wipe/reflash or will the phone automatically wipe anything if I overwrite it via adb? Is there any change to the boot process if I overwrite it?

I'm thinking of interesting that block now and then following the whole process when the is is officially released for any market.

Thanks.

lucas.hohmann

Jan 7, 2010
I installed RazrICSBootstrap.apk with ADB just like step 12 says.

I opened the app and clicked on "Bootstrap ICS Recovery" and then "Reboot ICS Recovery". (Both times it requests SU Permissions, I allowed then both)

And then the phone reboots, but it gets stuck, it doesn't boot up.
I tried selecting BP tools, but it doesn't go in recovery mode

How can I successfully install the Bootstrap, so I can flash Gapps???

igorls1

Dec 26, 2008
I installed RazrICSBootstrap.apk with ADB just like step 12 says.

I opened the app and clicked on "Bootstrap ICS Recovery" and then "Reboot ICS Recovery". (Both times it requests SU Permissions, I allowed then both)

And then the phone reboots, but it gets stuck, it doesn't boot up.
I tried selecting BP tools, but it doesn't go in recovery mode

How can I successfully install the Bootstrap, so I can flash Gapps???

you need to select recovery and wait...

peter0206

Mar 14, 2009
Winnipeg
Thanks for sharing, but just want to confirm does it have chinese language in the system please? and can I do it with Rogers version xt910 plz?

zadops

Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for sharing, but just want to confirm does it have chinese language in the system please? and can I do it with Rogers version xt910 plz?

yes, it does have. its main language is Chinese. I'm not sure, you will never know 'till you try :D

successfully recover my Latam XT910 from ICS 4.0.4 to its stock rom 2.3.6 :rolleyes:

peter0206

Mar 14, 2009
Winnipeg
yes, it does have. its main language is Chinese. I'm not sure, you will never know 'till you try :D

successfully recover my Latam XT910 from ICS 4.0.4 to its stock rom 2.3.6 :rolleyes:

Thanks for your quick reply...

just have the work done. Everything is smoothly, only problem right now is each time to restart the phone, I have to use BP TOOLS. hopefully the problem could be solved some day.... Thanks a lot for your work

Last edited:

igorls1

Dec 26, 2008
If I get access to some developer razr block 18 file.. maybe this boot issue could be fixed!

Sent from my XT910 using XDA

Smilez

Nov 28, 2007
The only downside: usb mass storage don't work.

does this mean you cannot use the sd-ext on the phone? or does it mean you cannot connect to computer and see the sd card?

IOmega666

Apr 26, 2009
This method is only for China Retail ICS? Or can i install German T-Mobile ICS and come back to GB?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Block file updated!

I've successfully update my LATAM device, Claro BR RAZR XT910 to ICS 4.0.4 - 67.2.120 (China Retail).

UPDATE: Tested and working on USA GSM

Everything is working, including hardware acceleration (thanks to update 3.0.8 kernel)

New webtop version. Radio is better than 2.3.6/2.3.5 in Brazil. No FCs since installation! :D(3 days ago)

The only downside: usb mass storage don't work.

Attention!! This was supposed to be permanent, no way to go back to 2.3.6 after updating to this kernel. UPDATE: I managed to downgrade back to t-mobile 2.3.6 via RSD without any issues. I just modified the XML to prevent internal storage erasing. Important!

Original thread on http://www.grupoandroid.com/topic/44109-gsm-ics-404-china-retail/
    I just modified some things to make sure it works on LATAM devices.

Instructions:

1. Make sure you are on 2.3.6 (flash by RSD Lite, no fake nandroid "flashing")

2. Uncompress mmcblk1p18-go.rar to SD card.

3. Root with Motofail

4. Make a backup copy with ADB (you need root permissions, send "su" command first)
    (very important! will be used in the future to remove boot error or if you want to have a remote possibility of downgrade)
    Code:
    cat /dev/block/mmcblk1p18> /sdcard-ext/mmcblk1p18-back

5. Overwrite block 18 with ADB:

Code:
    cat /sdcard-ext/mmcblk1p18-go> /dev/block/mmcblk1p18

If you got any error up here don't proceed, make sure last step was successful!

6. Make sure your battery is charged and flash China Retail 4.0.4, you need to unpack and find default_flash.xml inside p2b_spyder-umts_spyder-user-4.0.4-6.7.2_GC-120-175-release-keys folder. Use this XML for flashing with RSD lite.

7. Let it reboot and finish the process, after 5 to 10 minutes, reset and Press VolUp+VolDown+Power to enter boot menu. Now you must do the first boot with BP tools.

8. Navigate to BP tools with VolDown and press VolUp to enter. Wait for some time (I don't know how long yet).

8.1 Reboot and enter recovery. Let it finish upgrading recovery.

9. Wipe the device in recovery mode.

10. Go to the boot menu again and choose BP Tools option. It should boot up to ICS now (expect 4 to 8 minutes for the first boot)

11. Now you need root: This process will need many reboots, remember you will always need to reboot via BP Tools now (I will try to fix this!)

11.1: Download ICS4.0.4ROOT-FIXED

11.2: Activate USB debugging and execute "Step 1 - Flash 403.bat"

11.3: Execute "Step 2 - Root.bat" Follow instructions. Note: after the second step the device will boot up with a black screen (even using BP tools), don't worry it's "normal"! Wait for windows to detect a MTP USB Device and proceed...

11.4: After the last reboot, run "Step 3 - Recover.bat"

12. Install RazrICSBootstrap.apk with ADB ("adb install ....")

13. Flash latest GoogleApps http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

13.2 Start (as always) with BP Tools

You're ready to go! It's highly recommended to remove all Chinese apps with TitaniumBackup before installing your stuff!

Instructions for flashing T-Mobile ICS coming soon...

14. Install OTA RootKeeper from Play Store

15. Open Voodoo OTA RootKeeper and click Protect root

16.. and next: T-mobile 2.3.6 (downgraded bootloader to 0.6), T-mobile OTA ICS installed and running smoothly (no sdcard mount yet), planning to perform the so called "impossible downgrade"

Good luck with RAZR!
    cat /sdcard-ext/mmcblk1p18-go> /dev/block/mmcblk1p18

this command overwrite the contents of the file... it must NOT have the -go in your filesystem
    I know I erase the part -go and copy paste it and click ok to replace. the thing is with the connectbot tried hundreds of time and always said not such file or directory

Can you try with ADB??
    is working haven't done anything differnt except instead of connect i download terminal emulator.

one question which one is better tmobile one or china

gracias

I'm testing with T-mobile now, the only difference is more language support (china only have english and chinese). People are reporting that after you upgrade with the T-mobile OTA it's impossible to downgrade, i didn't prove it wrong yet... With chinese version I know it's possible!
    I'd love to answer that

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2