[Q] Is there any way to keep media net unlimited (not smartphone plan)?

Search This thread

fincan

Dec 9, 2007
around VA
I have a 5-6 year old media net unlimited plan $20 from AT&T which I got when I was using a Motorola MPX220. After that phone I used unlocked smartphones (tilt - UK version and tilt2 - Australian version).

Is there any way to keep this plan after buying this phone? Can I be grandfathered in or is that only possible with the $30 data plans?

harolds

Aug 4, 2006
www.haroldspc.com
I have a 5-6 year old media net unlimited plan $20 from AT&T which I got when I was using a Motorola MPX220. After that phone I used unlocked smartphones (tilt - UK version and tilt2 - Australian version).

Is there any way to keep this plan after buying this phone? Can I be grandfathered in or is that only possible with the $30 data plans?

Buy the phone with no commitment and you can use it.

sl8125

Mar 30, 2006
No its possible. ATT will recognize your imei number and bump you to a data plan. You have to buy a phone that is not in ATT system such as bell version of atrix. Other wise no chance.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

jopherr

Oct 16, 2009
Bay Area, CA
okay so between James62370 and sl8125, one of you is spreading FUD.
it seems like for one person it works but according to another, it wouldnt. whats up with that? o_O
i have a $10 unlimited data plan for messaging phones that i am currently using with a no commitment TILT2 and the phone prior to that was an iphone 2g.
so James62370, it works? if you buy the phone no commitment?

edgeicator

Feb 19, 2011
You wil get switched to a smartphone data plan if you use a smartphone they recognise the imei number of.

hgn842001

Nov 13, 2007
Ok ... here is how you can see if you can keep your old plan:

Check the features you have on your line ... If you have a feature called "Smartphone Exclusion" then no matter what ... AT&T wont be able to put the required data plans on you line automatically (the $15 or $25 / month)

If you have unlimited texting for the family as well ... then by providing a non-smartphone IMEI for your line you can get unlimited internet for $10/month.

blognc

Aug 6, 2006
New York
Ok ... here is how you can see if you can keep your old plan:

Check the features you have on your line ... If you have a feature called "Smartphone Exclusion" then no matter what ... AT&T wont be able to put the required data plans on you line automatically (the $15 or $25 / month)

If you have unlimited texting for the family as well ... then by providing a non-smartphone IMEI for your line you can get unlimited internet for $10/month.

I can confirm this as well. I spoke to an AT&T rep last night and he explained to me that all of my phones have "Data Exclusion", and that even if I bought the Atrix at the 2-year contract price from AT&T's website, it would not be able to apply a smartphone data plan to my account. I have the Media Net plan on one number with the Tilt 2, and no data on line 2, and I bought the Aria for line 2 and they did not apply any data to it.

He did warn me that if I made any changes to the data features on any phone I MIGHT lose the data exclusion, and that if I bought a phone from an AT&T store the rep might screw up and add the data, since Data Exclusion is such a rare feature, but that if I bought online the system would just leave me alone.

Now I just need to know if "4G" data works on the old Media Net plans.

El_Six

Feb 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Since I have been on the phone with ATT for the last 3 days it has been one thing after another..first data issues coming from the iPhone they switched me over to a 2GB cap called them up they "fixed it" (basically added the smartphone pack. Yesterday got a few calls at work I let them go to VM...so i thought. Somehow my VM got messed up had to call about that. This morning I didn't get one text from anyone found a bit odd since me and the wife text a lot during work when we can. Checked online I had no text plan??? WTF!?? Called them up and guess what I had an older 1500 text plan they don't offer that so i cant get it...really?? come on ATT I just bought a phone no contract nothing should have changed.

So as of now everything seems ok, still working have a case open for my text plan and have gotten some credit back for the data stuff. But really i should have never gone through this whole mess when all I did was buy a phone out right and put my old sim in it.

James62370

Feb 22, 2007
No its possible. ATT will recognize your imei number and bump you to a data plan. You have to buy a phone that is not in ATT system such as bell version of atrix. Other wise no chance.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

AT&T recognizes the IMEI on all of their iphones. When I put my sim into my friends iphone, it asked me to update my data plan. Obviously, I did not...

It works on the Atrix, though I don't doubt if AT&T knew which phone I had, they would probably want me to upgrade. I asked a rep many years ago, they said I have some sort of legacy feature grandfathered in, but if I make any type of changes to my plan, I would lose it. I cannot remember what they call it. Thus I cannot purchase a phone with an AT&T contract. Pretty lame, but that has been my experience and what I have been told. Not all reps know what they are talking about.

I'm not here to argue with anyone. I know which plan I have, and I know I have an Atrix. All I did was take my sim from my old phone out and put it into my new Atrix and it works without complaining for me to upgrade my data plan.

However, I am not impress with the HSUPA speeds, and it seems everyone has the same issue whether they are on a $30 unlimited plan, or $20 medianet bundle.

I hope this helps, good luck guys!

fincan

Dec 9, 2007
around VA
Well, I don't see anything called "Smartphone Exclusion" in either of my lines (this is a 2 line family plan, only my phone has the medianet unlimited).

I guess I'll need to wait and buy a Bell Canada version of the phone?

hgn842001

Nov 13, 2007
If you are checking it online, it doesn't show as a regular feature. There is a link that shows "other features" ... or just call them up and ask if you have it.
I did upgrade one of my lines, they added $15 in the store. I just called them and got that off of the line, luckily the smart phone exclusion did not go away!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Torrast

Nov 16, 2008
The smartphone exclusion feature only covers you for your current device. If you put your SIM into a phone that Att recognizes as a valid smartphone that is different than the one you currently have on file, your grandfather status is gone and you get a smartphone data plan. Happened to a few people I know. No commitment pricing has nothing to do with it, since its in the Att terms of service, I think. If you are getting grandfather status back, the sales people are likely making exceptions.

Last edited: