[Challenge] BEST headset / earphone / headphone up to €50 MAX.

Search This thread

theblackpig

Mar 7, 2011
The table by the window
I'm not an expert or an audiophile, but I do use ear/head/phones/buds in my job. And what I've found, after years of trying this and trying that, is some products get passed on to other people, and some products stay in my little audio bag. It's all about the sound, not the money. But there's some cheap stuff in there that I think sounds great. And it's all durable stuff because there's nothing less than four years old.

What's in there now:

Earphones:
The best sound for the dollar, I've found, are Yuin PK3 earphones. Cheap. Buy 2 or 3 pairs and you'll never be stuck for reasonable sound. The sound is direct and detailed. They dont sound like cheap earphones. Earphones are easy to put in and take out - great for quickly checking sound, on location, when we're shooting video.

Portable headphones:
Sennheiser PX 200. I've had this pair for years. Good clean, spacious sound. Very comfortable, but not enough isolation for location work or for listening to music when out and about. I used to use them with my computer for editing, and reviewing video. The faux leather has rubbed off the pads and they now look pretty shaggy. They sound good though. I still trip myself out folding them to put them away in the stupidly elaborate case. MC Escher must have designed it.

Earbuds:
My music istening earbuds are Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro. Clear, spacious, natural, detailed sound, and good isolation. I'd use 'em for monitoring sound when we're shooting but they're bulky and fiddly to put in and take off, and the stiff cord has a life of its own and gets tangled on stuff. But when I'm just listening to music, these are the ones. I also use them with my computer all the time when rough mixing tracks and reviewing videos. These are the two-driver jobs. I was given them. The TripleFi 10's (three drivers) are supposed to be superior. And they're cheaper now than these SuperFi 5 Pros were five years ago. The TripleFi 10's are now down to $170. I'm seriously tempted.

Full Size Headphones:
whatever's in the studio. Though I'll listen to two or three pairs before picking the set that lets me listen INTO the music.

Phone:
The sound from my Galaxy S/Voodoo Sound pisses all over the sound from my Galaxy S2. But my S2 is now embedded in my life so I just have to live with the compromise.

I do like the Yuins, or anything else that is good, that you can afford to lose or break. You should be able to get 2 pairs for 50 quid. But you Britons seem to be seriously overcharged for electronics.

Headphonic's Australian website has good reviews of cheaper head/ear/buds/phones.

revydoIND

Mar 22, 2012
jakarta
Try beats tour, the best earphone i ever had. But the control talk probably won't work on our sgs and expensive too

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

AliReza711

Feb 13, 2011
Shiraz
Best Music Player!

The AKG K77 headset combine with AudioBoost 2.4(it works on every Stock Gingerbread Roms)and one of the Gingerbread Roms and stock Player has a perfect result,try it...
in stock player set the "effect" to "music clarity" & in equalizer do the same with attached Screen shot...
with this works you have 2x-3x have a louder sound in headsets...
and have big and clear bass...
I Konw You've Never Seen It Before...
Just Try It!

Attachments

• SC20120402-133811.jpg
    SC20120402-133811.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 95

MSeiz5

Apr 3, 2012
St. Gallen
I got the Plantronics GameCom 367 Closed-Ear Gaming Headset.

25 Bucks
It sounds really nice on SGS with Vodoo Control. +5db

General

Brand
PLANTRONICS

Model
GameCom 367

Headphone

Driver Unit
40mm

Headphone Frequency Response
20Hz–20KHz

Connector
3.5mm

Ear Coupling
Circumaural

Cord Length
6.5 ft.

Weight
1.13 lbs.

Microphone

Microphone Frequency Response
100Hz-8KHz

Feature

Features
Ear cushion material: Non-Allergenic
Microphone Boom: Concealed
Mute Control
Volume Mute
Closed ear design for complete gaming immersion

groksteady

Feb 6, 2012
Shanghai
I'm not an expert or an audiophile, but I do use ear/head/phones/buds in my job. And what I've found, after years of trying this and trying that, is some products get passed on to other people, and some products stay in my little audio bag. It's all about the sound, not the money.

same here, with video. The Senn HD25-1 stays with me. I tried some open headphones, but I just need closed cans or buds. I really like the Allessandro MS1, but it just never gets any time.

Earphones:
The best sound for the dollar, I've found, are Yuin PK3 earphones. Cheap. Buy 2 or 3 pairs and you'll never be stuck for reasonable sound. The sound is direct and detailed. They dont sound like cheap earphones. Earphones are easy to put in and take out - great for quickly checking sound, on location, when we're shooting video.

I do want to pick some of these up. After the MX500 dried up, I was at a lost for cheapie buds that don't matter if you lose them, or a friend blows out the drivers.

Sennheiser PX 200. I've had this pair for years. Good clean, spacious sound. Very comfortable, but not enough isolation for location work or for listening to music when out and about. I used to use them with my computer for editing, and reviewing video. The faux leather has rubbed off the pads and they now look pretty shaggy. They sound good though. I still trip myself out folding them to put them away in the stupidly elaborate case. MC Escher must have designed it.

I had a couple of these, and while I like them, they rank up there with the Sony E888 for fragility. At least with me. Something always breaks. It takes some fiddling to find the right seal, but once they're really on, they have good isolation and great sound.

Full Size Headphones:
whatever's in the studio. Though I'll listen to two or three pairs before picking the set that lets me listen INTO the music.

Hah. I bet it's true, although I'm a freelancer and only have my own, or whatever I run into when working with someone. That said, another plus to the HD25-1 is the durability. Chuck 'em in a bag, no worries. All this talk about great sound makes me want to revisit a plan to mod the cables for a copper-gold mix. Someone on head-fi was doing that ages ago. The only thing that holds me back is that I don't think I want the cable coming straight down in front of me.

Phone:
The sound from my Galaxy S/Voodoo Sound pisses all over the sound from my Galaxy S2. But my S2 is now embedded in my life so I just have to live with the compromise.

I'll be holding on to the Galaxy S. Best PMP I ever had.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

I really! really! like the sound of my PortaPros, but I would like to find some ear cushions that were more comfortable for long sessions.

could you bend out the metal headband a bit instead?

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

I havent tried but im using the grado stock pads right now, its quite big in KPP though :D

I didn't know about that mod, first time I saw it was in your pic. What does it do to the sound?

I actually just saw a pair of PortaPros in a store for €30. Almost picked them up, but was reminded of the time I went into a comic book store for the first time in a decade, and found myself on a five-year plummet back into a habit.

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
...could you bend out the metal headband a bit instead?

Just examined and tried a bit...they are a kind of "spring steel" that I don't think will take a new shape. You try to bend them out, and they just spring back.

Plus, with two pieces that slide over each other to adjust size, that makes it even dicier.

And absolutely with you on the Galaxy S sound. It is crazy why Samsung didn't just stay with that same chip in its later phones--completely stupid.

groksteady

Feb 6, 2012
Shanghai
Just examined and tried a bit...they are a kind of "spring steel" that I don't think will take a new shape. You try to bend them out, and they just spring back.

Plus, with two pieces that slide over each other to adjust size, that makes it even dicier.

Understandable. If I do plunk down to get some PortaPros, I know I'll want to try that donut pad mod that jmwreck did, but not without sourcing a set of original replacement pads first. Or a few. I'm not the best with an Exacto knife and foam.

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
Understandable. If I do plunk down to get some PortaPros, I know I'll want to try that donut pad mod that jmwreck did, but not without sourcing a set of original replacement pads first. Or a few. I'm not the best with an Exacto knife and foam.

Got a link to that mod???

I love the sound of these, but after 30 min, they begin to want to be taken off for a few minutes.

groksteady

Feb 6, 2012
Shanghai
Got a link to that mod???

I love the sound of these, but after 30 min, they begin to want to be taken off for a few minutes.

I've only seen this photo of it; could ask jmwreck (his mod/pic) what he used for a stencil -- looks like a clean cut:
301520_2463764635059_1280523376_2948081_1962494768_n.jpg

there's probably foam-cutting tips buried in the links here, too, from that Grado/vwap pad mod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/99063/how-do-you-make-a-vwap-pad

Does the uncomfortable factor change with the bass setting?

jmwreck

Jul 11, 2011
Singapore
www.facebook.com
I didn't know about that mod, first time I saw it was in your pic. What does it do to the sound?

I actually just saw a pair of PortaPros in a store for €30. Almost picked them up, but was reminded of the time I went into a comic book store for the first time in a decade, and found myself on a five-year plummet back into a habit.

I've only seen this photo of it; could ask jmwreck (his mod/pic) what he used for a stencil -- looks like a clean cut:

there's probably foam-cutting tips buried in the links here, too, from that Grado/vwap pad mod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/99063/how-do-you-make-a-vwap-pad

Does the uncomfortable factor change with the bass setting?

the mods on my portapro:

1. kramer mod
2. pad mod, which you can really try with any pads you want as long as it fits.
3. cable mod, using high end cables delivers good audio quality (that's what they said)
4. the pad "quarter mod" it can give a sparkle to the portapro, since its known for its bass but veiled on the treble, they did that to extend more highs to the headphones but still maintaining the lows. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: movrshakr

Javier.San1993

Jun 24, 2011
I believe the Sony MDR-EX510LP are good for their price! Putting the right settings on voodoo makes it amazing! Clear bass, hard hitting mids, highs with amazing brightness. Overall very clear on all levels, but still strong.

Using Tapatalk/SGH-1897

xlr8me

Apr 19, 2010
JVC HA-FX1 Extreme Explosive Bass
27640.JPG

Frequency Response 5-23,000Hz!:D
10mm large diaphragm neodymium driver units and Extreme Deep Basse Ports deliver ultimate bass sound
Rubber protectors for body durability
Superior sound isolation
Comfortable fit with ergonomic contoured form and three sizes of silicone ear-pieces
2.6mm-thick and robust 1.2m pure copper cable (Y-type)
Special hard carrying case included
S/M/L silicone ear-pieces included
Gold-plated 3.5mm stereo straight plug
iPod, iphone and iPad compatible

Just ordered...
Is da BomB!!!!
Read reviews on head-fi forums :)
Enjoy!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    JVC HA-FX1 Extreme Explosive Bass
    27640.JPG

Frequency Response 5-23,000Hz!:D
    10mm large diaphragm neodymium driver units and Extreme Deep Basse Ports deliver ultimate bass sound
    Rubber protectors for body durability
    Superior sound isolation
    Comfortable fit with ergonomic contoured form and three sizes of silicone ear-pieces
    2.6mm-thick and robust 1.2m pure copper cable (Y-type)
    Special hard carrying case included
    S/M/L silicone ear-pieces included
    Gold-plated 3.5mm stereo straight plug
    iPod, iphone and iPad compatible
    I guess that everything is about the role of every specification, for instance, i always searched for a headset with high sensitivity and in this field the AKG headsets/phones are the leader.

But what impendance means exactly? Cause the Koss Portapro you mentioned got the higher value of them all, but is that a good thing or bad? Specially for in-ear headsets......

If you want you can PM some good links and I will post them for you

Thanks

To be quite honest I really dont know what the majority of those terms mean in terms of headphones. I just assumed most of you knew what you were talking about so I decided to include those values :p my apologies

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but:

Frequency Response: Basically the range of a headset. To what extent it can produce frequencies on both high and low ends.(Bass and Treble)

Impedance: From my understanding, impedance is somewhat related to resistance. the higher the impedance, the lower the maximum volume possible and vice-versa. But high quality headphones boast high impedance values. I suppose this can mean less possible noise and clearer sound quality overall.

As for the Koss portapros, they are headphones. Not in-ear plugs.extremely comfortable, and sometimes I even forget I'm wearing them. Good sound overall
    Well, the essence of this thread , to find the best value earphone, which is a difficult task, specially on this budget, but not impossible....

Hard to say, but we can at least compare the specs:

So while the more expensive Denon got just a little wider frequency response, the AKG got higher sensitivity/Impedance, but once again, quite a good frequency response for a headphone with that price !

And the K430, also comes with a case. extra adapter and got a volume slider!

Just wanted to say that, at least in the case of headphones, the specs matters very very little . (Especially the freq response).

Best value ? Easy answer: SoundMagic PL30 !
    http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=294

Those are better than everything else I have tried under 60€.

If you don't like IEMs, Sennheiser PX100 are of great value also.

For 20 bucks, I agree that PL30, is really good , [ I own one] especially if you are not too fond of bass-heavy earphones. But, there will surely be quite a few phones better than it in sub-50 $ range, I believe. Brainwavz M2 trumps PL30 , IMO.
    for me, im quite satisfied with the sony mdr-ex50

Frequency Response 5-23,000Hz
    Impedance 16ohms at 1kHz
    Magnet Neodymium
    Sensitivity 100dB/mW
    Power Handling Capacity 100mW
    I'm using the klipsch s4 image
    And i just can recommend them
    The best headphones i've ever head
    You can get them in amazon for 50 up to 60€
    Why pay 60€?
    Because they can even compete with headphones that cost up to 200€

I think the klipsch s5 have the same drivers and i think they cost about 120-150€
    I think that says all

But it's pretty hard to recommend headphones for other people because everyone hears different(i know it sounds weird).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App