[Q]Samsung Galaxy S3 screen problems

Search This thread

totally_clueless

May 19, 2014
TL: DR: Screen sometimes is totally black, but otherwise the screen seems to work fine. Sometimes the phone acts completely normal. Sometimes the phone acts completely normal, but the screen is tinted green, but only after it's booted up. I can access download screen with no issue, most of the time I can get into recovery with out a problem, but not always.

I'm brand new to the GS3, but I purchased it last week on ebay (described as fully functional) since my other phone has been giving me troubles. I received it last Thursday (5/15/14), and it seemed to work fine. I have not been able to activate it yet since I did not have 4G sim card, so I've just been playing with it around the house to make sure it works until I get my 4G card from Verizon in the mail.

So Saturday comes along, and I notice that the screen is all black, but makes the usual sounds when you touch the screen. I pull the battery, and boot it back up. The Samsung logo would come up, but none of the boot animation. Nothing after the Samsung logo. It seems that if I push the power button, the phone seems to be functional, but nothing comes up on the screen. Sometimes if I push the power button a bunch of times, I can get the screen to come on. The screen looked normal, and everything worked fine, until I hit the power button. Back to the black screen. I booted into recovery, cleared the cache and did a factory wipe, and it seemed to be completely normal for a while.

I've noticed that sometimes phone acts completely normal (proper colors, screen turns off and on as it should), sometimes it works normally but the screen is tinted green (power button turns off and on the screen as it should), and sometimes, the screen is totally black, but the touch functions work normally.

Since the screen always works at boot (I can see the Samsung logo clearly and with no color distortion, but sometimes the rest of the boot animation is gone, even though I hear the boot music), and there is also no color distortion in recovery or download mode, am I likely looking at a software issue?

It is not rooted, and completely stock on 4.1.2. EDIT:Baseband is VRBMF1.

I have tried to make my problem as clear as possible, but I will clarify anything if necessary.

Thanks.

Last edited:

totally_clueless

May 19, 2014
I downgraded to VRBMB1 with ODIN, and I still seem to be having the same issue (screen goes black, won't come back on), although the green tint problem hasn't happened yet. As long as I leave the screen on, it works fine. I'm thinking that this might be a problem with the power button, although I don't understand why it would allow me into download mode with no issues, but trouble doing much of anything else. I'm probably going to be sending it back for a refund, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm more than willing to listen. Thanks.