[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Galaxy Tab - BETA

Search This thread

Coolsaber57

Jan 8, 2010
adb shell
# mount | grep ext4
/dev/block/stl9 on /system type ext4 (ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/block/stl10 on /dbdata type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/block/stl11 on /cache type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

Sweet, thank you! I'm ext4!

Last edited:

texasice

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2009
Austin
Confirming clockworkmod recovery works on the sprint tab using the verizon process. Make sure to factory reset before rebooting into recovery. data and cache backup will fail otherwise. I just installed verizon tab recovery from rom manager.

BuglessFan

Jul 22, 2010
Pullman, WA
I realize that, but he had to build it to work with the recovery. The open source kernel won't run on the VZW tab compiled straight from source. Still, it'll be a happy day for me once someone starts working on faster kernels. ULV and interactive don't matter as they do on my phone; battery life is great. I'd just love the extra juice to still be able to run plenty of widgets and Skype, Locale and other background hogs without worrying about things getting draggy. I just haven't heard even a peep or rumor of anyone starting up on it.

Frustu

Dec 10, 2010
Udine
Full working now on Euro tab? Mine is sim/carrier unlocket tab but in the list of the appropiate device the generic euro tab dosent show...what i have to do for a full working recovery/nandoid backup!

d3mone

May 3, 2009
FYI : You must have a micro SDCard on your tab because CWM try to make backup of all before convert to ext4. Without it nothing is done and if you restart your tab, you will be stuck to the Samsung logo.
Just add a micro SDCard and boot on recovery mode (backup + convert is auto during CWM launch).

Last edited:

AkiraX123

Jul 27, 2009
Fort Collins
I haven't used this utility before (I have to admit I'm pretty new to development on the Android platform, but I am fluent in Java / C++).

Just a few quick clarifications, do you need to be rooted in order to use ClockworkMod on a Sprint tab?

Am I correct in guessing that this package is designed to back up the stock ROM currently running on our tabs including TouchWiz and all of the other proprietary junk that Samsung didn't include in the open source ROM (kinda makes me wonder why they call it "open" source..)?

BuglessFan

Jul 22, 2010
Pullman, WA
Yes, you need to be rooted. I don't think there's a port to Sprint or ATT yet, just VZW, TMO, and EURO.

I'm not sure of your last question, but the process creates a backup before it writes the custom recovery. The custom recovery allows you to make nandroid backups and to apply updates that you would not be able to apply via the stock recovery (themes, kernels, ROMs, et cetera). There's not much in the way of any of these out there yet, though. Most importantly, for me, it does let you make a nandroid backup at any time, meaning if I try to change something in my framework-res.apk and screw it up, I can just boot into the custom recovery and restore (or just run the CWM app and choose restore and pick the restore I hopefully made right before tinkering and screwing up).

rmorrisonva

Dec 7, 2010
Will it blend?

So if I install CWM does it or can it wipe my exisiting apps and data? I use all internal stoarage, no SD.

JeffR714

Mar 25, 2010
Philadelphia Pa
Downloading T-Mobile Kernel

Can someone just please explain how to download the CM kernel This is a bit new for me I'm used to the usual flash ways Looks like jibberish just a simple explaination would do PLEASE

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE
    If you don't know what you are doing, don't use this.

Restoring to factory after using this process (you need using stock images):

heimdall flash --kernel stockzImage --recovery stockzImage --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs

TMobile Tab Users:
    How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from a modified STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork. However, ROM Manager handles this all pretty seamlessly for you.

Installation instructions for TMOBILE TAB:
    Download the kernel:
    TMobile - http://koush.tandtgaming.com//samsung/tab/tmobile_zImage

Installation instructions:
    Flash the kernel using flash_image: http://koush.tandtgaming.com//test/flash_image (This will flash both boot and recovery)
    1. adb push flash_image /data/local/bin/flash_image
    2. adb push tmobile_zImage /sdcard/
    3. adb shell
    4. su
    5. chmod 755 /data/local/bin/flash_image
    6. /data/local/bin/flash_image boot /sdcard/tmobile_zImage
    7. sync
    8. exit # This should take you back to your computer's console

Download ROM Manager from the Market.
    Flash Recovery.
    Choose the appropriate Galaxy Tab version.
    Accept the Superuser prompt.
    Use ROM Manager to create a Backup.

Verizon Tab Users:
    Want to save your self some command line headaches and risk and donate to a developer? Then go download the Verizon Tab Recovery Bootstrap off the Market and use that instead of this guide. :)

Download the kernel:
    Verizon - http://koush.tandtgaming.com//samsung/tab/verizon_zImage

Installation instructions for VERIZON TAB:
    You do NOT need to do this if you used the Bootstrap application
    Flash the kernel using flash_image: http://koush.tandtgaming.com//test/flash_image (This will flash both boot and recovery)
    2. adb push verizon_zImage /sdcard/
    3. adb shell
    4. su
    6. /data/local/bin/flash_image boot /sdcard/verizon_zImage
    7. sync
    9. adb reboot recovery # Boot into recovery

It will now convert your rfs partitions to ext4.
    Flash Recovery.

Euro Tab Users:
    Want to save your self some command line headaches and risk and donate to a developer? Then go download the Euro Tab Recovery Bootstrap off the Market and use that instead of this guide. :)

Download the kernel:
    Euro - http://koush.tandtgaming.com//samsung/tab/international_zImage

Installation instructions for EURO TAB:
    You do NOT need to do this if you used the Bootstrap application
    2. adb push international_zImage /sdcard/
    3. adb shell
    4. su
    6. /data/local/bin/flash_image boot /sdcard/international_zImage
    7. sync
    9. adb reboot recovery # Boot into recovery

It will now convert your rfs partitions to ext4.
    Flash Recovery.

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!
    Stuck on samsung screen after using koush bootstrapper?

Download heimdall and then read the "README" file for setting up the drivers. The drivers worked fine for me in win7 x64.

Once the usb drivers are setup for heimdall, boot your galaxy tab into download mode by holding Vol-down + power button.

Make sure your tab is connected and run the following command using koush's clockwork kernal/recovery image found here: (sorry can't post links)
    h**p://koush.droid.co//samsung/tab/verizon_zImage

c:\galaxytab\heimdall\heimdall flash --kernel verizon_zImage --recovery verizon_zImage

You should now be able to get into clockworkmod recovery by holding Vol-up + power button.

Once in recovery, restore your before-ext4 backup. You should be back to where you were before the bootstrapper but you now have clockworkmod.

Good luck
    I believe I may have found the cause of several bugs; I am using the busybox sh link rather than the normal Android sh. This may be causing a lot of problems with scripts executing, and thus possibly various initializations of the hardware. I'll put new releases out for Vzw and Euro tonight.

not sure whether the OP answers what the poster is asking. He's asking whether he can flash the Tmob firmware (= making his device a Tmob device), then apply CM recovery, since Tmob is supported. He's not asking whether EU tab is supported (which we all know by now, it is not).

anyway, i do not like the aggressiveness in this thread. if someone would add koush/clockworkmod in twitter we all would know that he didn't even have a tab, volunteered to create a cm recovery for us anyway, and slowly the ball starts rolling.

we on the other hand are *****ing and biting like little girls that didn't get the right Barbie doll - surely a great incentive for developers joining this forum and starting developing recovery/ROMs at the risk of being attacked or users *****ing with and against each other

i have no say here, but let me just say this: CHILL!