Right, that's it: I'm done with this piece of crap

Search This thread

ady_seray

Jul 19, 2012
Manchester
Oh my god the amount of whiners!!!!!! Just sell it and be GONE!
Where did you guys get your N10 anyway? I've had literally no problem with it (OK OK, before 4.2.2 I had loads of reboots). No creaking back, Wi-Fi is very good, a tiny tiny patch of light bleed on the bottom left corner(only visible at 100% brightness in dark room) and I never get to see it. And I even like the colours compared to my HOX. Got it in the UK.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Yea I know right. Mine was perfect too except for constant reboots, light bleed, a creaking back, dust under the screen, throttling during gaming and it gave me rabies.

Wait...so that means it wasn't perfect? But it says Google and Nexus on it...:what:

I exaggerate for effect. I only had the reboots but hopefully you get it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bee55

May 11, 2010
I'm starting to believe this wifi issue might actually be a hardware problem, as I've never had it, but some people clearly do, even on stock software. (I had a wifi issue, with the toggle freezing and signal dropping, requiring a reboot, but that only happened on a few custom ROMs.)

Fortunately I got lucky and my first N10 only has minor light bleed, an even screen, no back creak, no wifi drops and a pretty good chip (3rd lowest voltage table of the 12) so throttling wasn't as bad as the average either (I guess).
This said, I completely understand people here who tried even a 5th replacement in hopes that they get a N10 without any major problems. I know how it feels spending a lot of money on something, then waiting for it for weeks and just getting that massive disappointment when the product is defective. It's a shame, really, how overall bad quality control can ruin many people's experience with a device that should otherwise be an amazing one.

People calling the OP and others whiners are either too rich to care about a mere $400 or they're not spending their own money on the device, as otherwise I can't imagine how they could be satisfied with having a defective N10.

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
Doesn't matter where you get it, All N10's have a large varying degree of defects it seems.

I'm not discounting the reports here about problems, but I have to disagree with that statement. I've had my N10 since early December and it's been excellent. A few odd freezes in Chrome early on, but when I switched to Chrome beta they almost completely disappeared. Since installing 4.2.2 I've had over 100 hours uptime without a single hiccup. I've been using stock Chrome (not beta) since the update, and it's been great. Also: no light bleed, no creaking, no screen lift, etc.

I also have a number of associates and friends with N10's and oddly enough their experiences have been essentially the same as mine. I really have to emphasize that I mean no disrespect to those here reporting issues, and I sympathize, but I'm finding it really odd that my own experience, and that of others I know personally, suggests that aside from some bugs in earlier versions of Android, the tablet is generally superb when a fair number of folks here are reporting pretty bad issues. It's hard to make sense of such a discrepancy between the complaints I read here and my own experience, that of my known associates, and the various reviews I've read online. Not sure what to make of this quite honestly, as those here reporting multiple bad devices would seem to suggest that most units are defective, which is totally at odds with my own experience and knowledge.

I'd love to know the real stats about this, as online problem forums tend to attract and focus problem reports, quite naturally, and may represent skewed stats. Having run online sites and communities in the past, I've also personally experienced the annoying phenomenon of online sock puppets as well.

I feel bad for those here with bad experiences, but I'm having trouble generalizing that to the product in general, when it would seem to me to be superb. Again, no disrespect to those with problems, I just have trouble imagining that this represents the product in general.

... beamed from my Nexus 10 to your planet

Low_Key_13

Jul 11, 2010
Taking for granted that this isn't a troll, I couldn't have had much of a more opposite experience.
I ordered my n10 via eBay China, and really couldn't be happier. I haven't noticed any light bleed or creaks from hardware, did get a reset approx every day until 4.2.2 updated, and haven't had any resets since.
I can't comment on customer service as I haven't needed them, but I couldn't be happier with my device.
I must agree with other posters that getting a 5th unit seems unlikely, particularly as they've been out of stock since December.
The definition of insanity is repeating the same actions, and expecting different outcomes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
My experience:

• My Nexus 10 had no blacklight bleed, already tested with blacklight bleed app at 100% brightness. I probably lucky on this. I seen some user post photo was really bad blacklight bleed where I really can't believe the bleeding can be that bad, also 4 to 5 times switching still cannot getting a decent unit? I can only imaging the owner was too picky, pleasing with perfection which never appear in life, or just trolling here for nothing.
  • Yellowish - probably tiny 0.5% differences where you won't notice unless you purposely picky on it.
  • Random crash and hang when running stock 4.2 or 4.2.1, I never switch off what locale service as I find it not much big different even switching it off, but without using Chrome can reduce the hang / reboot. But it still hanging me few times a day.
  • Switching to CM 10.1 base on 4.2.1 had reduce a lot crashing especially when not using Chrome.
  • After upgrade to latest CM 10.1 base on 4.2.2, I never face any hanging issue already and now Chrome Beta was my default browser back.
  • WiFi signal is much weaker than my S III where my S III can anytime catching up weak WiFi coverage without dropping it. In 4.2.2, WiFi signal was much better but still not as great as my S III that never drop.
  • Build quality was top notch for me, I never heard any cracking sound at some user report. I don't get any back creak issue.

In Short, I no regret getting it, it do frustration at 1st due to crashing issue, but I know that was probably software issue and it can get fix anytime. Now 4.2.2 fixed it, I got nothing much to complain on it anymore.

Nexus 10 run smoothly and is one of the smooth Android tablet I can accept for the moment after Asus Padfone 2. (Don't talk on iPad, as I never like iOS which too many restriction and boring).

Last edited:

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
I'm not discounting the reports here about problems, but I have to disagree with that statement. I've had my N10 since early December and it's been excellent. A few odd freezes in Chrome early on, but when I switched to Chrome beta they almost completely disappeared. Since installing 4.2.2 I've had over 100 hours uptime without a single hiccup. I've been using stock Chrome (not beta) since the update, and it's been great. Also: no light bleed, no creaking, no screen lift, etc.

I also have a number of associates and friends with N10's and oddly enough their experiences have been essentially the same as mine. I really have to emphasize that I mean no disrespect to those here reporting issues, and I sympathize, but I'm finding it really odd that my own experience, and that of others I know personally, suggests that aside from some bugs in earlier versions of Android, the tablet is generally superb when a fair number of folks here are reporting pretty bad issues. It's hard to make sense of such a discrepancy between the complaints I read here and my own experience, that of my known associates, and the various reviews I've read online. Not sure what to make of this quite honestly, as those here reporting multiple bad devices would seem to suggest that most units are defective, which is totally at odds with my own experience and knowledge.

I'd love to know the real stats about this, as online problem forums tend to attract and focus problem reports, quite naturally, and may represent skewed stats. Having run online sites and communities in the past, I've also personally experienced the annoying phenomenon of online sock puppets as well.

I feel bad for those here with bad experiences, but I'm having trouble generalizing that to the product in general, when it would seem to me to be superb. Again, no disrespect to those with problems, I just have trouble imagining that this represents the product in general.

Very well said. My N10 is awesome, and the guy at work I know with one loves his too. I have minimal light bleed in the bottom right corner (when held in landscape), but certainly no yellow patches. I would most likely have never noticed it if I wasn't looking for it, having read the light bleed thread.

There are only two ways the repeat problems some of these guys are reporting could be real: One is if Google are sending back out RMA'ed devices as new. Two is that the people with repeated RMA's are extremely picky. Otherwise the math just doesn't add up. If we're saying that only 1 unit in 10 doesn't have any defects, that means a 1/20 chance that both me and the guy I know have a good unit. Combine this with other experiences (like the one I'm quoting) and you start to see why less patient forum members are accusing others of trolling.

It's bizzare quite frankly. :eek:

Jms122589

Jun 3, 2011
Elk river MN
I'm for the most part completely happy with my N10. I however have the WiFi problem . oddly enough WiFi was pretty stable with cm10 but after upgrading to stock 4.2.2 the WiFi issue is back with a vengeance so idk what to think but o well. I do feel horrible for the poor folks who had major issues but I do however known plenty of people who obsess over the most minor of defects with technology such as a small amount of light bleed or some reboots. I have a small amount of light bleed but nothing that inter fears with the display

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

oysteivi

Aug 25, 2010
Trondheim
I just RMA'd my first N10. Never really had time to notice if it had light bleed, as it would reboot within at most a few minutes of uptime, and often before I had time to unlock it and start an app. (tried a factory reset before sending it back, and I had trouble typing in the wifi password at the second screen, as the device would reboot while I was typing). Some people actually have valid complaints :p

Here's hoping I get a better one on the second try ;)

Poser

Mar 18, 2008
The Nether Regions of the Tropics
Before we attack peoples negative experiences as ancedotal...take a minute and read http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/11/the-gentlemans-guide-to-forum-disruption/ this.

I have had ZERO issues, outside of throttling while gaming in NSF. However, dismissing other users experiences as being "too picky" is ignorant at best and completely anathema to the sense of community support and dialogue that XDA was founded upon at worst.

Why not just list your experience and be done with it...there is no need to comment, speculate or admonish other members for their perceived predilections.

Sent from my SGH-T889

rsohne

Mar 4, 2007
I was ready to throw my Nexus 10 against the wall a month ago and then I got smart and installed ParanoidAndroid. All my stability problems have disappeared . If I have learned anything being on XDA for years is that even the biggest piece of crap can be made better by the devs here. Why it never leaves the factory that way who knows. Lets face it when you get a Nexus product it is considered to be used by those wanting to be on the bleeding edge. Want stability get an iPad or a Note 10.1.

Carter0108

Jun 12, 2012
Well I'm quite happy with my Nexus 10. I've never had any of the problems your 5 devices have apparently had. The wi-fi stays connected constantly, it's never rebooted and physically it has the most premium feel to a tablet I've seen yet.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
I was ready to throw my Nexus 10 against the wall a month ago and then I got smart and installed ParanoidAndroid. All my stability problems have disappeared . If I have learned anything being on XDA for years is that even the biggest piece of crap can be made better by the devs here. Why it never leaves the factory that way who knows. Lets face it when you get a Nexus product it is considered to be used by those wanting to be on the bleeding edge. Want stability get an iPad or a Note 10.1.

A tablet sold at walmart should be usable out of the box.

stiggy2012

Nov 15, 2012
Before we attack peoples negative experiences as ancedotal...take a minute and read http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/11/the-gentlemans-guide-to-forum-disruption/ this.

I have had ZERO issues, outside of throttling while gaming in NSF. However, dismissing other users experiences as being "too picky" is ignorant at best and completely anathema to the sense of community support and dialogue that XDA was founded upon at worst.

Why not just list your experience and be done with it...there is no need to comment, speculate or admonish other members for their perceived predilections.

Sent from my SGH-T889

Get off the soapbox dude: This is the internets not a support group. People troll. Everything should be questioned and absolutely nothing should be taken at face value unless the source is extremely well trusted.

Reactions: styckx

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
A tablet sold at walmart should be usable out of the box.

I watched the discussion thread about Play Store experiences, and decided that I'd prefer buying this product at a bricks and mortar location -- so I scouted out the Walmart's in my vicinity until I got lucky in early December and a couple showed up in the Walmart closest to me. I brought it home, fired it up, and in fact it was perfectly usable right out of the box. The only changes I've made so far were to promote my ability to customize later on should I so choose:
- unlocked and rooted the N10
- installed TWRP recovery

I also installed Apex Pro launcher and about 100 apps. Aside from that - this is stock, and also my first and only N10 purchase and it's been fantastic -- right out of the box from Walmart.

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
experiences discussion thread about Play Store experiences, and ded that I'd prefer buying this product at a bricks and mortar location -- so I scouted out the Walmart's in my vicinity until I got lucky in early December and a couple showed up in the Walmart closest to me. I brought it home, fired it up, and in fact it was perfectly usable right out of the box.. he only changes I've made so far were to promote my ability to customize later on should I so choose:
- unlocked and rooted the N10
- installed TWRP recovery

I also installed Apex Pro launcher and about 100 apps. Aside ROM and it m that - this is stock, and also my first and only N10 purchase and it's been fantastic -- right out of the box from Walmart.

Completely opposite of my experiences. My nexus 10 was unusable until it was rooted and rommed. Completely stock it would crash and reboot multiple times a day. Using stock nexus 10 and dolphin it rebooted no less than 10 times while my girlfriend tried to do her homework. Most of these issues were fixed when i flashed CM10.1 but thats not usable. The thing even rebooted when not in use several times a day. And its widely accepted the stock browser chrome is useless at the moment. You shouldn't need to do tons of customizations to get the thing working. The only thing that helped was installing a custom rom and it still reboots here and there.

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com

Good point in general - although it's important to remember that this phenomenon works both ways. Online forums, as a key component of social media, are recognized as being potent tools to help shape public opinion and perception. This can work for a product, or against it. Having created and run an online gaming community several years ago, with about half a million members and 25,000 visitors a day, I recall all too well how "sock puppets" in our own chat rooms as well as those of other gaming sites attempted to trash us for non-existent issues, effectively attempting to steer users away from us and reduce our market share; quite an eye-opening experience!

As others have pointed out here, online "experience" posts can certainly be helpful, but both negative and positive posts on a topic should be viewed as you might evaluate any kind of anonymous information: as anecdotal data points that may, or may not, be accurate, and that may - or may not - help you make an informed decision. If nothing else, whether you find the pros or cons more credible, these discussions will help you identify topics of interest to you that are probably worth further independent research. Keep an open mind -- but read with a critical eye.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my two cents

When you got the second sample and were still unhappy then it was masochistic to keep trying. You should have given up and ended the pain way before getting to the fifth device. Clearly it is not designed to the quality you require and most, if not all, of the samples were probably typical of the quality of everyone else's.

Crap is in the eye of the beholder. Many others, including myself, are not sensitive to the defects you point out. I don't care about an occasional reboot (which only happened in the first day for me), the light bleed, case cracking sounds, etc. Different people have different needs.

You were asking the support people to make the product right for you, which is probably impossible given that particular design. How do you expect them to behave? They certainly aren't going to say the nexus 10 is **** and they also can't say that you are wrong. The nexus 10 is not **** for most people and you are not wrong for wanting a particular level of quality.

To make a long story short you should walk away and spend your energy finding something better instead of banging your head against a lost cause.
    You know, I can see your point, but I can't see how it merits a new thread here.

What do we gain from reading it? What do you gain from us having read it? (I can totally understand what you gained by writing it, but why not pin in on a wall, be it real or virtual?).
    He is sharing his bad experience. Anyone looking to buy a Nexus 10 should be aware of both the good side, and bad sides.
    First off: I am not anti-Google. I use all the main Google apps. I have had four Android phones, own 2 Nexus 7's and would take Android over iOS any day of the week.

But...

I am through with this piece of crap that passes for the Nexus 10.

Since buying this thing when it first came out I have had to put up with dodgy wifi connections, creaky flexing back panels, random freezes and reboots, and - worst of all - deal-breakingly poor quality control on the screens. I have been through several RMAs with Google Play (to the point where they are refusing to send me any more replacements - and at the moment they are not even replying to my emails) and am now on my 5th device. All of the devices have had unacceptable levels of light bleed, and - worse still - blotchy screens with uneven yellow or blue tints. I have been through nightmares with the Play store and TNT trying to get devices returned and shipped, and have a pile of email correspondence so long that it could be turned into a Peter Jackson trilogy. The Play store is staffed by some of the greatest morons that I have ever had the misfortune to have to deal with. I have constantly been given wrong or misleading information, and have had to harass and badger them at every stage to get anything done. I still have a device listed as 'pending' on my Google Wallet that has long since been returned, despite being told on numerous occasions that an 'expert' was going to remove it.

For anyone with a perfect device, or who is just happy with their's however it is: I am genuinely pleased for you. This could, and more importantly, should, have been an amazing piece of kit. But as it is, my time with the Nexus 10 has been, without any shadow of a doubt, the absolute worst customer experience I have had in my entire life, by a long country mile.

My blotchy, creaky, light bleedy slab of **** is going back. I'll be getting a full refund and returning to my long neglected iPad. Which actually works like it's supposed to.

YMMV
    Doesn't matter where you get it, All N10's have a large varying degree of defects it seems.

I genuinely can't believe that people see the need to RMA their N10 (or any device) due to the smallest things that they've found by specifically looking for them. Yes my N10 has light bleed and yes it did have problems with rebooting (before 4.2.2) but it doesn't bother me.

I would never use an LCD screen on full brightness in a dark room so will never notice the small amounts of light bleed it has. The reboots are a software issue that can be fixed by an update and are so infrequent that they are almost insignificant anyway. And a 'creaky back' definitely doesn't warrant getting the thing replaced; it's plastic so is bound to creak when you purposely flex it which you're not supposed to do.

Is anyone else shocked by the sheer number of people that will happily request multiple replacements because of the stupidest things and then wonder why the price increases or the customer service seems rushed? They've somehow got pay for all the testing, repackaging, restocking and reselling of these apparently 'defective' devices.