[GUIDE] Windshield mount for CDMA Hero (lots of pics)

Search This thread

thematrixkid17

Aug 28, 2009
Jealous of the Droid users with their custom windshield mounts? Currently, I have not seen any aftermarket windshield mounts that are specifically for the CDMA Hero. Want to make one for around $8.50? It's not that hard, and only takes about 20 minutes of your time. Here's how:

Custom belt clip holder for CDMA Hero + Some sort of windshield mount.

I picked a windshield mount for a Garmin 200, which worked out well for me. This cost me $4.39 including shipping from HK, from eBay seller 'metapark'. Then I purchased the belt clip from eBay seller 'mobilesandpdas' for $3.89 including shipping from Ohio.

1. First thing you're going to want to do is pop the pin out of the belt clip to take it apart.

2. Then remove the rest of the clip using a drill and a 3/16" drill bit. Go slow! It should only take a few turns and the rest should come right off. Then you can take the rest of the mechanism and toss it.

3. Now we want to remove the round part where that mechanism was previously connected, in order to make the back of the clip flat. At first I tried a hacksaw, but it looked like it was going to tear up the back of the holder, so instead I used some wire cutters. Clip the semi-circle of plastic and the center pin.

4. Now to get it perfectly flush, you're also going to need to sand or grind it down a bit too. It should look like this when you're done.

5. Next take the mount for the Garmin 200, and remove the portions that extend forward to grab the Garmin. Use a hacksaw for this, and then sand it a little to smooth it up and make it look nice. You'll end up with a flat piece.

6. Use some sand paper to scuff up where the two pieces will be glued together, to make sure they get secured well by the glue. Spread some epoxy (I used some 5-minute stuff) thinly on the areas where they will contact. Make sure not to get any into the socket where the ball of the rest of the mount sits. I also filled the little valley with epoxy just to make it flush.

7. Let dry (I waited 15-25 minutes) and enjoy the new mount.

Finished product: [Front], [Rear]

Note: I know the final pics aren't that great, but it does really look great. No one is going to tell it isn't factory unless they're really looking closely. Some of the epoxy I slopped around where I didn't want it, I removed after about 5 minutes by scraping it lightly with a straight screwdriver. (wait for it to set up, or you're just going to spread it around)

By the way: This mount holds the phone very steadily, it doesn't shake or rattle in anyway at all. Another nice thing is that you can swivel the phone sideways for landscape GPS nav.

Check out how davide169 made his mount in this thread

Last edited:

poor_red_neck

Feb 16, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Nice job!
I'd be interested in a DIY solution that allowed the camera to be used while mounted for Layar, or other Augmented Reality apps.

Well..... I think driving is one of those things where you need to focus on REALITY not an augmented reality.

I'm using a air vent mount for my hero, as my car's windshield is too deep (Volvo S80)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arkon-SM329-SBH-Universal-Cell-Phone-Air-Vent-Mount/13045680

0004740752329_215X215.jpg

Works fantasticly, and what I love is that it rotates 90 degrees so when using google maps/nav I can have it widescreen.

The version i purchased in the store looks a bit different, but it is very adjustable so that the USB power cord can still be plugged in, and its the first universal mount I've ever used that holds the phone securely that doesn't mess with the volume buttons.

Last edited:

thematrixkid17

Aug 28, 2009
@poor_red_neck

Yeah, I've been using a similar version solution until now. Unfortunately, I've owned a half dozen of the universal mounts, and they all have a few issues. The main one recently being that I can't see my google navigation when it's way down on my air vents. :D

It also worried me when exposing my phone to temperature extremes. My vents go pretty much closed, but the heater still would heat my phone up, so I completely stopped using my dash vents and switched to floor vents until I built this one.

@Everyone else: thanks for the compliments, I hope this will help someone in need!

Last edited:

rufflez2010

Mar 13, 2010
I've been looking for this for months! I paid more for a insufficient product. I may give this a go.
Only downside is my Seidio 3500mAh won't work with this... but that doesn't stop me from using the original battery for this purpose :)

Last edited:

halcyon_22

Feb 2, 2010
good walkthru, i just ordered myself the beltclip, car charger and mount. all said and done, $9.00.<--you cant beat that with stick!!

thanks!

scirio

Nov 8, 2007
I have something like that. One thats a pre made one of those, solid, no rattles and has an optional elbow.
And my current setup that's power/audio wired inside the dash and pro clip mounted on the right of the HVAC using right-angle extUSB

No pics