[FIX] Fixing your bricked/black screen DSOD/broken nvflash Tab

Search This thread

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
This may or may not work for most but this worked heavily for my 2 units that had the same issue. One with a broken nvflash, the other that faced a bootloop and never booted up again. Took almost a week and I felt almost all hope was gone because the bloody service centre's refused to accept the unit's as they were not purchased from the region, rather online. Scumbag Samsung :mad:.

[!] This is usually a 90% fix for both broken nvflashes/deep sleep of death, considering you haven't drowned your Tab by now with no hope :D. I ask that you kindly attempt this once if you haven't before you QQ to the nearest Samsung center like I did.

- Drain your tablet

And by all mean's do so, The quickest way to get this done in less than 2 days or so (Depending on the battery percent charged) is to get a clear tape and tape around the power button pressed.

- Testing if you have drained it completely/Taped it right.

Connect the tablet via USB to your PC, make sure you have the NV Driver files [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1130574]

Just install the driver and proceed to the step where it asks about holding down the [Power button] +[ Volume+] and wait for the constant USB connect/disconnect sounds. It also helps to look at Device Manager to see if it still pops up.

When the battery is completely drained it will stop popping up in the device manager, and your ready to go.

MOST IMPORTANT STEP

You have only 1 and only 1 chance per drain to get this done right. Plug it into the socket charger and see if the charging icon should come up, after being fully drained you should see the charge icon should pop up [100% tested and works, this step is annoying but it's the tablet version of taking out the battery and popping it back in] and what ever you do, DON'T BOOT IT UP NORMALLY, instead press [Power Button] + [Volume -] keys and let go when you see the logo to get into fastboot mode.

Select the android buddy with the [Volume +] key and it will boot into Download Mode.

From here on out everything is easy sailing. Get the right firmware and Odin and flash the firmware you require. It doesn't matter what region you are from, the tablet is made to accept any regional firmware BUT the model number should be the same. Which mean's 7500 for 7500 ONLY.

Edit: Since you have only one chance per drain, I suggest you flash a stock firmware rather than flashing CWM to save it, Because CWM would only fix the recovery, It wouldn't fix the damaged bln. The fastest way to get a stock firmware is grabbing the stock firmware from the Overcome thread :D

Last edited:

zBarry

Jan 30, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Will taking the battery out work ? or do i have to drain the battery then turn it on ?

and for the duct tape, only power button ? because my computer won't recognise my tablet unless i use the APX mode which is (Power + Volume up), in that case i guess i have to table both power and vol down ??

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
There's no way to remove the battery since it's like hardbound inside. Drain it to turn it on sir.

Yeah you should get it plugged via APX mode. Press it for 15 secs both then connect it via USB, After that you can hold it down via tape, the power button only.

Reactions: arch.fadi

pinpin890

Jul 28, 2010
Maraming salamat po!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D:D:D:D
(Thank you very much)

I have tried so many ways....but this may actually works..

zBarry

Jan 30, 2012
Sydney, NSW
tried it for the first time, didn't work and i'm giving it another try. I taped the power button to drain the battery completely, i'm gonna leave it for another day. Then tape both (power and vol +) and plug into the computer until it stops popping up ? then plug it into the socket to see if the charging icon show up ?

am i doing it right ?

my tablet is a galaxy 10.1V

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
Nono, Just the power button to clear the power cycle, No need to tape the volume button, Once it's in the APX mode, you just need to hold down power button and it will keep looping. when it stops appearing in device manager, It's completely drained. Actually, once it's completely drained, you need to plug it via socket charger to see if the charge icon shows up :] Then you're ready for Odin :]

SnoWake4Me

Feb 5, 2012
Thanks so much for the helpful post, and detailed instructions.

I've drained my battery, 100% - confirmed by connecting to PC, not detected. Plugged it into wall charger, got the 'battery charging' indicator.

From there, I boot into Download mode, and fire up Odin. The device is detected on an appropriate COM port, and I can push a CWM or stock recovery image, and get a big green PASS. (usually - I've performed these steps several times, and occasionally it Odin will hang)

And yet - the device will never boot to completion, nor can I get into recovery mode.

I'm confident an underlying problem is that the device was (IS) encrypted - which is confirmed when rebooting normally: I get the pre-boot authentication page prompting for (and confirming) the passphrase - and then the android / gear outline, then... black screen. Nothing.

When attempting to select recovery mode - same thing: screen goes black, and nothing (same results whether stock or CWM recovery flashed).

Thanks again for the information - I'll keep reading, and testing - and appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
Thanks so much for the helpful post, and detailed instructions.

I've drained my battery, 100% - confirmed by connecting to PC, not detected. Plugged it into wall charger, got the 'battery charging' indicator.

From there, I boot into Download mode, and fire up Odin. The device is detected on an appropriate COM port, and I can push a CWM or stock recovery image, and get a big green PASS. (usually - I've performed these steps several times, and occasionally it Odin will hang)

And yet - the device will never boot to completion, nor can I get into recovery mode.

I'm confident an underlying problem is that the device was (IS) encrypted - which is confirmed when rebooting normally: I get the pre-boot authentication page prompting for (and confirming) the passphrase - and then the android / gear outline, then... black screen. Nothing.

When attempting to select recovery mode - same thing: screen goes black, and nothing (same results whether stock or CWM recovery flashed).

Thanks again for the information - I'll keep reading, and testing - and appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Actually this is what I mentioned earlier, The problem is you have one chance per drain and you used that to flash CWM :p If I were you, I would suggest flashing a firmware, Probably 3.2 HC EU/US firmware of your choice. Then when you get it to boot (You should feel that slight vibration when you boot it up) after it works, you need to shut it down properly and flash the CWM.

I made the same mistake :p Cost me again another 8 hrs, Just for 5mins charging. FML. :(

However i have updated the OP with a slight "Edit" note :p

Last edited:
Reactions: zurrunbilo

zBarry

Jan 30, 2012
Sydney, NSW
i have tried 3 times already, didn't work ... what kind of tablet you tested the on ? mine in galaxy 10.1v.

what i did is .. i taped the power button for about 2 days, then when i plug it into the computer i can see it popping repeatedly and it won't stop because as far as i know its actually charging from my computer ..:confused:

i have actullly disassembled it and took the battery out .. but i just turned it on normally and same thing (black screen) , according to you i should not turn it on just like that .. however i should power it into recovery mod.

my question are: is taking the battery out as same as draining the battery ?

because i still couldn't figure out how to drain the battery and test that at the same time

thanks in advance, and i'm just trying to give it coupe of tries before i lose hope :(

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
i have tried 3 times already, didn't work ... what kind of tablet you tested the on ? mine in galaxy 10.1v.

what i did is .. i taped the power button for about 2 days, then when i plug it into the computer i can see it popping repeatedly and it won't stop because as far as i know its actually charging from my computer ..:confused:

i have actullly disassembled it and took the battery out .. but i just turned it on normally and same thing (black screen) , according to you i should not turn it on just like that .. however i should power it into recovery mod.

my question are: is taking the battery out as same as draining the battery ?

because i still couldn't figure out how to drain the battery and test that at the same time

thanks in advance, and i'm just trying to give it coupe of tries before i lose hope :(

Actually yes taking the battery out is the same as draining it because in truth the tablet isn't like a phone where you can pop out the battery, You can however remove it since you have disassembled it already. Instead of draining it, Try Power and Vol Down directly after popping the battery back in. Once you get into fastboot mode you need to flash the firmware via Odin. I wouldn't lose hope if I were you :] I had the same issue, Then I fixed mine.

Yeah one was the 10.1v and the 10.1 both were fixed the same method.

This however shall give you hope :] Once bricked for a week, Now alive.

SC20120209-1820361.jpg

atif.sami

Feb 20, 2012
my Galaxy Tab 10.1 was bricked second time in one month, this really is a annoying issue, unfortunately samsung doesn't provide warranty in my country, not uptill now. First time I had to give it to the market for repair, the person charged me around $50 for the repair and did that in one week. The symptom were the same, I turned it off and it never came back online.

Second time, i had no choice but to dive into the issue and solve it myself, as it was totally insane to pay this much for every time my tab throws tantrum at me.

This time I discharged it fully, as you told, and tried to check it by plugging it into the system, but every time it appeared as APX device, so out of frustration I just plugged it in to the socket, and voila the battery icon appeard, i let it charge for sometime, pull out the charger and boot it normally by pressing the power button, and guess what it was back online, with all the data and everything. I had a hunch that it would turn on as, the first time, when sent to market, sharing my lattitude with my dad i was appearing at the shop location, meaning it worked there, that stupid opportunist simply wiped it and charged me $50. But now i know how to save that money :)

PS: I was able to identify the cause of the issue, atleast what happened with me was that i powered off the tab while plugged into socket both of the time, it never came back. Something you might avoid for this problem to occur.

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
my Galaxy Tab 10.1 was bricked second time in one month, this really is a annoying issue, unfortunately samsung doesn't provide warranty in my country, not uptill now. First time I had to give it to the market for repair, the person charged me around $50 for the repair and did that in one week. The symptom were the same, I turned it off and it never came back online.

Second time, i had no choice but to dive into the issue and solve it myself, as it was totally insane to pay this much for every time my tab throws tantrum at me.

This time I discharged it fully, as you told, and tried to check it by plugging it into the system, but every time it appeared as APX device, so out of frustration I just plugged it in to the socket, and voila the battery icon appeard, i let it charge for sometime, pull out the charger and boot it normally by pressing the power button, and guess what it was back online, with all the data and everything. I had a hunch that it would turn on as, the first time, when sent to market, sharing my lattitude with my dad i was appearing at the shop location, meaning it worked there, that stupid opportunist simply wiped it and charged me $50. But now i know how to save that money :)

PS: I was able to identify the cause of the issue, atleast what happened with me was that i powered off the tab while plugged into socket both of the time, it never came back. Something you might avoid for this problem to occur.

For some odd reason it happens different for most tabs, I don't know if this is Samsung's first dedicated tablet apart from the 7" that was a huge wafer or a loaf of bread :p But as far as I know that was just an oversized phone without much tablet dedication compared to this. In my case dad had turned off the tablet while it was on a bootloop and it never turned on again, that is until I tried out the above method and it worked, So far so good I'm on the CM9 Kang and no issues so far. Thank tablet God.

Eiranova

Feb 21, 2012
i've used a terminal app to force my 10.1 p7510 to charge when plugged in into the usb.. now i'm also thinking that it might be charging even while it's on DSOD or bricked.. : /

i guess to avoid getting bricked is to never turn it off.. sigh.. just keep on killing apps, clearing memory, etc..

i'm still hoping and waiting for it to be drained.. tried plugging it in for about 3 seconds to check if the battery icon would pop-up nothing.. so back to plugging it into my pc and taping the power button in..

Quick Update:
the tape keeps on loosening (don't want to stick it too much over the screen since it might pull off the matte screen protector) so i took 2 rubber bands and affixed it to my tablet.. made sure it was tight enough to pull down/in the power button ^^

Last edited:

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
i've used a terminal app to force my 10.1 p7510 to charge when plugged in into the usb.. now i'm also thinking that it might be charging even while it's on DSOD or bricked.. : /

i guess to avoid getting bricked is to never turn it off.. sigh.. just keep on killing apps, clearing memory, etc..

i'm still hoping and waiting for it to be drained.. tried plugging it in for about 3 seconds to check if the battery icon would pop-up nothing.. so back to plugging it into my pc and taping the power button in..

Quick Update:
the tape keeps on loosening (don't want to stick it too much over the screen since it might pull off the matte screen protector) so i took 2 rubber bands and affixed it to my tablet.. made sure it was tight enough to pull down/in the power button ^^

I just happened to use one of those 3M Scotch tape I had lying around in the house, was pretty good and didn't leave any tape marks on the device. Yeah offline charging apparently is a bad thing for the tablet which is why I never chose to keep/enable it despite it was already there via Overcome ROM. Easiest way to drain it is by holding the power button down, best be unplugged and leave it to drain that's the only way you'll know it doesn't get charged, should take a max about a day or more depending on the % of charge it has.

One thing I found out was, You can never really brick the tablet completely, Unless ofcourse you flashed some other device's firmware on it. I do hope the ICS official release has some sort of fix to this, rather than the boring immense hours you would have to wait or pay just to get it fixed.

I do however wonder how many have gotten their tablets fixed via this method..

Last edited:
Reactions: marksde

Eiranova

Feb 21, 2012
well you know what? i've just arrived from work and i turn on the speaker of my pc and it's still doing the badump-badump sound.. so now i'm guessing it's looping the on and off thing as well as the usb charging feature.. so now i'm gonna leave it again for day UNPLUGGED from my pc and hopefully tomorrow night it'll be all ready for reflashing.. sigh..

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
well you know what? i've just arrived from work and i turn on the speaker of my pc and it's still doing the badump-badump sound.. so now i'm guessing it's looping the on and off thing as well as the usb charging feature.. so now i'm gonna leave it again for day UNPLUGGED from my pc and hopefully tomorrow night it'll be all ready for reflashing.. sigh..

Yeah don't worry so much about it, You'll know if you did it right when you plug it into the socket and you see the battery charge icon, That's a sign that's it's completely drained and recharging from scratch :) Remember to flash a stock firmware first as that fixes the broken bootloader. Recovery module won't do much.

Do keep me updated :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This may or may not work for most but this worked heavily for my 2 units that had the same issue. One with a broken nvflash, the other that faced a bootloop and never booted up again. Took almost a week and I felt almost all hope was gone because the bloody service centre's refused to accept the unit's as they were not purchased from the region, rather online. Scumbag Samsung :mad:.

[!] This is usually a 90% fix for both broken nvflashes/deep sleep of death, considering you haven't drowned your Tab by now with no hope :D. I ask that you kindly attempt this once if you haven't before you QQ to the nearest Samsung center like I did.

- Drain your tablet

And by all mean's do so, The quickest way to get this done in less than 2 days or so (Depending on the battery percent charged) is to get a clear tape and tape around the power button pressed.

- Testing if you have drained it completely/Taped it right.

Connect the tablet via USB to your PC, make sure you have the NV Driver files [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1130574]

Just install the driver and proceed to the step where it asks about holding down the [Power button] +[ Volume+] and wait for the constant USB connect/disconnect sounds. It also helps to look at Device Manager to see if it still pops up.

When the battery is completely drained it will stop popping up in the device manager, and your ready to go.

MOST IMPORTANT STEP

You have only 1 and only 1 chance per drain to get this done right. Plug it into the socket charger and see if the charging icon should come up, after being fully drained you should see the charge icon should pop up [100% tested and works, this step is annoying but it's the tablet version of taking out the battery and popping it back in] and what ever you do, DON'T BOOT IT UP NORMALLY, instead press [Power Button] + [Volume -] keys and let go when you see the logo to get into fastboot mode.

Select the android buddy with the [Volume +] key and it will boot into Download Mode.

From here on out everything is easy sailing. Get the right firmware and Odin and flash the firmware you require. It doesn't matter what region you are from, the tablet is made to accept any regional firmware BUT the model number should be the same. Which mean's 7500 for 7500 ONLY.

Edit: Since you have only one chance per drain, I suggest you flash a stock firmware rather than flashing CWM to save it, Because CWM would only fix the recovery, It wouldn't fix the damaged bln. The fastest way to get a stock firmware is grabbing the stock firmware from the Overcome thread :D
    The method described in the OP doesn't involve flashing using nvflash. It is an attempt to get the device to out of whatever low level mode it might be stuck in by draining the battery and hoping it will power up again and reset.

It's nearly impossible to tell what exactly the problem each person had. People haven't been posting much information about how they "bricked" it or what the events were that led to the tablet being stuck in this state. So it's hard to tell what exactly the conditions are that this method might work under.
    Hi, I had a quick question before I send my P7510 in for RMA:

The tablet froze during a TWRP flash of pershoot's 9/01 CM9 experimental build. I had to power it off and now it won't power back on. I've drained it a few times (as far as I can tell) by attaching various USB devices to the USB dongle add-on and tried to get it to show that it was charging by plugging it into the wall A/C charger but unfortunately I haven't had any luck. Just a blank screen and a tablet that won't turn on.

Any advice?

that TWRP recovery, if using samsung's release kernel 3.1, needs to have MMC_CAP_ERASE removed from it. please contact the person who built this to have it rebuilt without this functionality in it.
    On another note, Updated the OP
    There's no way to remove the battery since it's like hardbound inside. Drain it to turn it on sir.

Yeah you should get it plugged via APX mode. Press it for 15 secs both then connect it via USB, After that you can hold it down via tape, the power button only.