[Q] i9506 bootloops after sometime on 2 custom roms

Search This thread

babyplex

Oct 15, 2012
I switched from a i9505 to a i9506 recently and first started with Rooting the device and installing CWM on it according to the instructions on this page:

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9506-develop/download-4-4-2-kitkat-i9506xxucng3-t2827630

Thereafter, i successfully installed solk2's CynogenMod 11.0 rom and was enjoying for about 2 days until i switched off the device to charge. Prior to this I had swtiched it off many times and it restarted ok. Upon restarting, the phone would boot loop at the part where it showed the CynogenMod logo.

Thinking it was a rom issue, I next tried Buda's SPL rom and the same issue happened. I enjoyed the rom for about 2 days after which it would boot loop always after shutting down and restarting the device.

I managed to enter recovery and reboot to bootloader and this was what I got from the screen:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9506
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0X1
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
RP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
UDC START

What could be the problem? Could KNOX be behind all these? But how could KNOX still exist on a custom rom? :confused:

Tkkg1994

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jun 10, 2014
Coding City
I switched from a i9505 to a i9506 recently and first started with Rooting the device and installing CWM on it according to the instructions on this page:

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s4/i9506-develop/download-4-4-2-kitkat-i9506xxucng3-t2827630

Thereafter, i successfully installed solk2's CynogenMod 11.0 rom and was enjoying for about 2 days until i switched off the device to charge. Prior to this I had swtiched it off many times and it restarted ok. Upon restarting, the phone would boot loop at the part where it showed the CynogenMod logo.

Thinking it was a rom issue, I next tried Buda's SPL rom and the same issue happened. I enjoyed the rom for about 2 days after which it would boot loop always after shutting down and restarting the device.

I managed to enter recovery and reboot to bootloader and this was what I got from the screen:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: GT-I9506
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0X1
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
RP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
UDC START

What could be the problem? Could KNOX be behind all these? But how could KNOX still exist on a custom rom? :confused:

Knox can't be the problem. This is just the bootloader that shows you that't your warranty is void now. Not more. My advice will be: make a clean install with Philz Touch recovery, means clean to install a new rom, wo it will delete everything who's important to flash a new rom. Than select CM11 install new rom and finish

babyplex

Oct 15, 2012
Knox can't be the problem. This is just the bootloader that shows you that't your warranty is void now. Not more. My advice will be: make a clean install with Philz Touch recovery, means clean to install a new rom, wo it will delete everything who's important to flash a new rom. Than select CM11 install new rom and finish

The previous few roms were also installed with a clean slate, using CWM to:

1) Clear Davik Cache
2) Wipe Cache Partition
3) Wipe Factory Data

I did however install Xpose Framwork and Gravitybox later on both roms but I really don't think those would screw up the bootloader. :(

babyplex

Oct 15, 2012
The previous few roms were also installed with a clean slate, using CWM to:

1) Clear Davik Cache
2) Wipe Cache Partition
3) Wipe Factory Data

I did however install Xpose Framwork and Gravitybox later on both roms but I really don't think those would screw up the bootloader. :(

Ok... so the same thing happened again for the 3rd time.

22nd August - Flashed solk2's CynogenMod 11.0 rom and got boot loops on 24th August (with Xposed Framework and Gravity Box)
24th August - Flashed Buda's SPL rom and got boot loop on 26th August (with Xposed Framework and Gravity Box)
26th August - Flashed Buda's SPL rom and got boot loop on 28th August (without Xposed Framework and Gravity Box)

It would seem that it isn't the ROM and the Xposed Framework causing the issue. I'm pretty disappointed with how things are turning out for the phone so far in terms of custom roms and will be flashing to OEM Samsung until this issue can be resolved.

On the same note, I do get a notice on both CynogenMod 11.0 and SPL at the startup screen which states on the top left:

KERNEL IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING
Set Warranty Bit: Kernel
994480_10152504429618387_5782113698351564845_n.jpg

Is this normal for custom ROMs on 9506? This has never happened, except maybe during the very early days of 9505's existence.

Last edited:

Lennyz1988

May 15, 2009
Amsterdam
SPL is based on CM so it can be that they both have the same issues. Both roms are work in progress so it's normal that they have bugs/random reboots.

According to the information you gave, you never tried the roms without Xposed mods. It's also possible that a Xposed mod is causing it.

babyplex

Oct 15, 2012
SPL is based on CM so it can be that they both have the same issues. Both roms are work in progress so it's normal that they have bugs/random reboots.

According to the information you gave, you never tried the roms without Xposed mods. It's also possible that a Xposed mod is causing it.

My most recent try on the 26th was done without Xposed mod and the same issue occured.

I've since reflashed back to OEM ROM and will be monitoring for similar occurances.

babyplex

Oct 15, 2012
My most recent try on the 26th was done without Xposed mod and the same issue occured.

I've since reflashed back to OEM ROM and will be monitoring for similar occurances.

Just an update for all interested. I flashed back to the latest rooted and deknoxed OEM Samsung ROM and have been rebooting and switching off the phone for consecutively 5 days in a row.

None of the issues with the phone not booting up has since happened.

It would be fair to conclude that the knox bootloader protection had really stopped CM11 and SPL roms from booting up. It would be fair to assume due to the functionality of the bootloader protection that it applies to other custom roms as well.

Just a headsup for people wanting to try custom roms on the i9506. :D

jefferzombie

Jun 10, 2013
OnePlus 5
Xiaomi Poco F3
I had the same issues with SPL rom, until the last week release. I don't try turn off light sensor yet (it was an issue on the other releases). I simply do a new flash e reinstall everything without backup restore (mybackup app) last night and until now everything is pretty good. Wait and see.

babyplex

Oct 15, 2012
No connection on gravity box jeff. I tried not using it and it locks me out the same after 2 days.

Update: It's been almost 3 weeks of NOT being locked out after rebooting on the OEM rooted ROM. :)

jefferzombie

Jun 10, 2013
OnePlus 5
Xiaomi Poco F3
I'm using SPL yet, but de last release is buggy, I'm with the release before 06/12/14 with arter97 kernel 3.6, and running sweet, sometimes a bootloop or get randomly hot (say, very very hot. Summer, Brazil@30-40°c), but overall usability is fine, fast rom and average battery life. Still using gravity box and other bunch of xposed modules. Praying for the (hard) xposed port for lollipop.

Edit: I'm with 4.4 bootloader, and it seem to do some difference, before update I had issues with arter97's kernel for cm11, and impossible to boot up arter97's cm12 port. I suggest to backup you currently rom, flash an 4.4.2 stock and try one more time.

Last edited: