Last edited:
Reactions: xdagee

FdeKlerk

Oct 10, 2013
Johannesburg
Request.

Hi to the dev.

Thanks for this awesome app.
But I was hoping in a future update of this or something similar, the option to create shortcuts in the app itself to display in the noti bar.

Eg a tasker shortcuts.

Thanks in advance and hoping for a reply.

leijonasisu

Oct 2, 2011
Mate you're on f£$2"1! fire with development!

Now if you can just make an option to auto-blacklist every app that isn't skinned by an icon pack I would be so happy.

Reactions: blk_jack

frewys

Jan 12, 2005
Miami beach
Samsung Galaxy S21
Thanks for a great app! Bought it some time ago.

I have a request.
The icon size even on big it is a little too small for me. Any chance you might allow for bigger?
I am running 240dpi on my note 2.

Thanks.

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Thanks for a great app! Bought it some time ago.

I have a request.
The icon size even on big it is a little too small for me. Any chance you might allow for bigger?
I am running 240dpi on my note 2.

Thanks.

Glad you dig the app! Could you leave me a screenshot of what it looks like on your device w/ that DPI? Also correct me if I'm wrong but the Note 2 has a default DPI of 320 right? I have nothing against creating an even larger size, I'm just curious what it looks like for you.

Thanks

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Version 2.4 is out! Changes and download links can be found in the OP. F-Droid will update within ~24h to the new version.

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
T

tsunamical

:D

Congrats on being covered on the blog.

Anyway, I only have 1 gripe. It is a bit annoying to see the icon on the notification bar. Is there any workaround to get rid of it?

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Congrats on being covered on the blog.

Anyway, I only have 1 gripe. It is a bit annoying to see the icon on the notification bar. Is there any workaround to get rid of it?
Make sure to read the FAQ.

https://github.com/corcoran/Hangar/blob/master/README.md#faq

Long story short, it's possible by lowering the notification priority but that puts the icon bar at the bottom of the notification drawer. It's a limitation of Android and unfortunately can't be worked around (though I'm sure there are ways using xposed).

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Hangar 2.4.2 is out for beta testing!

Changes

* [Fix!] Notification disappearing bug
* [Fix!] Crashes with low memory devices
* [Fix!] Play store link not working on icon pack chooser

Download it here

Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Hangar 2.4.4 is out for beta testing!

Changes

* [Fix!] Apps tab optimized/faster loading
* Updated translations
* Added Hebrew translation
* Apps just a jump to the left.

Download it here

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Hangar 2.5 final is out!

Changes

* [New!] Launch apps in floating windows (supported ROMs only)
* [Fix!] Crash on start
* [Fix!] Notification, Apps widget freezes
* [Fix!] Icon pack sorting and bug
* [Fix!] Apps tab optimizations/fast load
* Added Chinese/Hebrew translations

Download it here

Last edited:

Rauch

Mar 13, 2010
Do you enjoy lollipop's?

No more status bar icon?! Oh MYYYYYYY!

TFk2XVg.jpg

EDTKWlZ.jpg

And all that material design goodness.

QP6WBHj.jpg

Sent from my AOSP on Shamu using Tapatalk

Reactions: blk_jack

tsch

Jan 18, 2008
The beta works in my N5, but sporadically the permission check pops up for both reason and the status bar widget cannot be turned off. It always comes back. Sometimes empty. The switch is and stays off, but the widget comes back...

Thanks for the beta...

Attachments

• 1417698194842.jpg
    1417698194842.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 1417698253127.jpg
    1417698253127.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 204

prich1948

Dec 6, 2014
App operation problem

Hi,

I have three Nexus devices each was running the latest release of Hangar and each is running Lollipop.
The devices are: Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 7 (2013)
The N4 and N7 are running the latest release version of Hangar without any known problems AND have not had the App usage access setting activated.
The N7(2013) does not detect app usage and will only show Hangar itself in the notification widget. The App usage access setting is NOT activated and I cannot find a way to activate it.

I removed the Play store version and downloaded the latest beta version (on the N7(2013)) - it does ask for the app usage access setting and allows it to be set. The only problem I find with the beta version is the notification icon is locked to all white and cannot be changed.

Hopefully this will help improve the app.

Thank you
Peter

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Hi,

I have three Nexus devices each was running the latest release of Hangar and each is running Lollipop.
The devices are: Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 7 (2013)
The N4 and N7 are running the latest release version of Hangar without any known problems AND have not had the App usage access setting activated.
The N7(2013) does not detect app usage and will only show Hangar itself in the notification widget. The App usage access setting is NOT activated and I cannot find a way to activate it.

I removed the Play store version and downloaded the latest beta version (on the N7(2013)) - it does ask for the app usage access setting and allows it to be set. The only problem I find with the beta version is the notification icon is locked to all white and cannot be changed.

Hopefully this will help improve the app.

Thank you
Peter
Sorry for the late response, but this has been addressed in a recent update on Google plus. The issue is that lollipop is applying a grey scale filter to the icon.

That said, with lollipop you can completely suppress the status bar icon AND keep hangar as a top priority. A helper for that has been added to the newest builds.

Cheers

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hangar_feature2.png

What is Hangar?
    Hangar is an Android app that provides easy, relevant shortcuts in your notification drawer to your most used and relied upon apps.

This lightweight notification bar gives you convenient access to these apps from anywhere in Android while intelligently updating the priority and order of the shortcuts based on your daily use.

With the new pinned apps feature, favorite apps can be pinned alongside the ones Hangar has set. Want a fresh look on those shortcuts? Hangar now supports custom icons, letting you set a stylized theme by installing one of the many gorgeous icon packs available on the Play Store.

Hangar also keeps track of app usage statistics and includes 2 highly customizable widgets.

Features include:

• Auto-updating notification drawer shortcuts containing your most used and important apps
    • Sort and display apps based on user specified weight factors
    • Pin apps to always display
    • Support for icon packs and custom icons
    • Optional second row of icons
    • Multiple page switching in notifications
    • Blacklist unwanted apps
    • Fully customizable! Change the number of shortcuts, icon color, icon size, background and more..
    • Additional re-sizeable widget to launch apps
    • Re-sizeable widget to view app use statistics with color coded bar graphs
    • Widgets intelligently scale according to size and device

FAQ:

Q: How do I pin apps or select specific apps to appear in Hangar?
    In Hangar go to Settings => Apps, select an app and "Pin app" from the menu.

Q: How do I customize the icons Hangar displays?
    You can apply an icon pack by selecting "Icon pack" in Settings => Appearance. You can also manually adjust each app's icon in Settings => Apps by selecting an app and choosing "Change icon".

Q: How do I remove the statusbar icon?
    You can change the position in the Settings => Behavior screen. If you select the bottom position, the icon goes away! One limitation of Android 4.4 and older is that on-going notifications require a notification icon in order to have TOP_PRIORITY as a notification. As a workaround, there are a number of icon choices (Settings => Appearance) which includes a Transparent icon. That icon creates a transparent gap, of course, but it's the best you can do without lowering the priority.

On Android L however you can have notifications set to display on the bottom and manually give them priority. This is done by longpressing the notification itself and manually toggling Priority in the settings page.

Q: I can't install Hangar in my country!
    This is caused by Google limiting in-app purchase apps (which Hangar uses for donations) to exclude certain countries. However, since Hangar is open source, you can always install it via F-Droid. F-Droid is an open source app store that will automatically notify you and let you automatically install new versions when they come out. Go grab F-droid here: https://f-droid.org

Q: Will Hangar drain my battery?
    No! It uses very little memory and very little CPU. It also only runs while your phone is awake and does not hold wakelock.

Q: Can I have the recency weight and in-app use stats last a week/month/6mos/etc?
    Right now time is added forever. This is one of the highest priority features and will be coming in the near future.

Screenshots:

Hangar_l_x400.png
    Lollipop​
    Hangar_notif_widgets_x400.png
    Notification bar + widgets​
    Hangar_settings_x400.png
    Settings​

Google+ community for beta testing and discussion:
    http://goo.gl/ZD7e6n

Milestones, planned features and issues:
    https://github.com/corcoran/Hangar/issues

Hangar is licensed under the GPLv3 from the Free Software Foundation.
    https://github.com/corcoran/Hangar

XDA:DevDB Information
    Hangar, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    blk_jack
    Source Code: https://github.com/corcoran/Hangar

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.7
    Stable Release Date: 2016-10-25

Created 2014-06-02
    Last Updated 2016-12-27
    Reserved

Change Log:
    Version 2.7 (Oct 25th)
    • [Fix!] Bring back position setting for MM/L users
    • [New!] Hangar Settings shortcut from Notification/App settings
    • Updated translations

Version 2.6 (Dec 17th)
    • [Fix!] Android L support!
    • [New!] Added background color option for L devices
    • Hangar restarts when killed by Android

Version 2.5 (Sept 14th)
    • [New!] Launch apps in floating windows (supported ROMs only)
    • [Fix!] Crash on start
    • [Fix!] Notification, Apps widget freezes
    • [Fix!] Icon pack sorting and bug
    • [Fix!] Apps tab optimizations/fast load
    • Added Chinese/Hebrew translations

Version 2.4 (August 14th)
    • [New!] Multiple pages in notification bar
    • [New!] Rounded corners option in widgets
    • [Fix!] Fixed settings bug on app pin

Version 2.3 (July 29th)
    • [New!] Pinned app feature
    • [New!] Icon pack support
    • [New!] Per-app manual icon selection
    • [New!] Second row feature
    • [New!] Sorting added to Apps section
    • [New!] Ultra efficient Smart notification sort
    • [New!] German/Danish translations
    • [Fix!] Revamped icon caching
    • [Fix!] Apps section now uses far less memory
    • [Fix!] Icon creation made more efficient
    • Updated app icon (Material design)
    • Updated Instructions

Version 2.2 (July 3rd)
    • Added all white icon
    • Added notification icon size options
    • Added Contribute section
    • Fixed DB sync exception
    • Min version of Android lowered to 4.1+
    • Added translations for Portuguese / Spanish / Italian / Polish / French / Russian

Version 2.1.1 (May 30th)
    • Fix rare crash when setting icon/priority.
    • Added multi-threading to some UI components in Settings.
    • Added Instructions.

Installation:
    • Install Hangar via Google Play [link]
    • Install Hangar via F-Droid [link]
    Reserved

Who cares?
    Hangar is somewhat of a niche tool and may not provide much use to people who extensively modify custom ROMs.

What makes Hangar unique is that the shortcut bar is not hardcoded. It is dynamic and based off the apps you use and rely on most. If this functionality, coupled with the fact that Hangar uses Android's native notification drawer in a lightweight and universal manner appeals or interests you then Hangar might be an app worth checking out.​

Free?? As in beer or freedom?
    Both! Hangar is GPLv3 licensed with the full source available on my github. Please feel free to send me pull requests with new features, bug fixes, etc, or visit the github page to look at planned features.​
    Nice app, love the concept, as I can't stand apps on my home screen. I'm currently using LMT Launcher (pie) and Swapps to access apps from my home screen. While I will probably never get rid of LMT until we get decent, voice-activated AI, Swapps has some (to me) minor irritations. The one request I have, if possible, is to give us an option to manually chose which apps are displayed because right now most of the apps apps that are (or would be) in Hangar are the apps that I access from LMT. Give us that and I'll be using this in a heartbeat. Theming would also be nice (see screenshot), but is not the deal-breaker that not being able to chose my apps is. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

PS if I'm an idiot who can't figure out how to manually add apps some simple instructions would be nice. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Right now, Hangar uses a combination of recency, in-app use time and total # of launches to determine the importance of an app. You can modify the "weight" to favor one of those metrics, but based on those things it shows you apps in your notification drawer.

As you use your apps, Hangar will "learn" and adjust accordingly, prioritizing your most used/needed apps and rearranging the notification drawer shortcut bar.

So to answer your question -- currently there's no way to manually "stick" an app. That said, you can blacklist, say, the apps you access from LMT, which would cause Hangar to display others, again based on the metrics I mentioned above.

While you can't modify the background (Android limitation), you can modify the color of the app icons in the notification drawer. There's a Colorize option in Hangar Settings -> Appearance.

Hope that helps!
    Very nice app, good work.

“Power brings a man many luxuries, but a clean pair of hands is seldom among them.”
    ― Robert Harris