Search This thread

CoNsPiRiSiZe

Jul 14, 2010
Roseville
Last edited:

CoNsPiRiSiZe

Jul 14, 2010
Roseville
Maybe this kernel isn't that good as we suppose...

Well.... What did u expect? we don't have an ICS ROM in our future that we have been made aware of, and it is truly great news as this is something that has made many a dev stray away from this device - now we might be able to get CM7 stable - and others to work off of CM7 such as blahblah :D

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Good news nevertheless

We need to get CM7 STABLE ASAP
We may be late in the running, but that doesn't mean we still can't get merged into the main tree

Last edited:

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Its worse than you thought... The source code was released a really long time ago. This is just an updated kernel, so the real reason for lack of development isn't because the source code wasn't available. :/

Updated source is awesome though. Tried to get it earlier and couldn't - can't on shift and will be working straight until Friday afternoon so won't have a chance to try again for a few days.

Any percieved lack of development is due to people not putting any effort into it - everyone who cries about a lack of development should do something about it instead of waiting for someone else to do so.

Why come here if you don't want to get into dev, worse, come here and complain about yourself not doing anything? Kinda silly.

Whenever I see people complain about a lack of development I wonder why they would basically make fun of themselves? It gives me a laugh at their expense...

Sent from a digital distance.

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
Yeah i just got the source downloaded because it matches the new ota I'm running now, I've never seen what a dual core source looks like, or if I'll even be able to compile a kernel for this device, I've only compiled a few for the EVO shift, which was straight forward with a little help from my boy drob...who knows o may get it to boot ha-ha.......nope I fudged something in my toolchain It's broke....again.....LOL
Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Yeah i just got the source downloaded because it matches the new ota I'm running now, I've never seen what a dual core source looks like, or if I'll even be able to compile a kernel for this device, I've only compiled a few for the EVO shift, which was straight forward with a little help from my boy drob...who knows o may get it to boot ha-ha

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62701184/arm-eabi-4.4.3.zip

That link is for the toolchain you need, i've been hosting it on dropbox for a while until I get it over to a more permanent host.

I can walk you through it later if you want.

I have it written up on how to set up your linux environment and make changes, including versioning instructions, just haven't found the time to polish off a part of it and add it to the dev reference yet.

Got a whole space reserved for the how to from start to finish on making kernels for the doubleshot, and i've already walked people through it with no kernel dev experience so if you've done it for another device it'll be a cakewalk.

I'm eating breakfast now and gotta run out to another job, and going straight from there to dodgeball practice, then work again tonight and from there right to the job i'm about to do again tomorrow this time, so tomorrow night i'm doubtless going to sleep - maybe as early as saturday evening I could go through it with you on IRC if you are interested.

Otherwise I hope to have that in the dev ref next week, work permitting.

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62701184/arm-eabi-4.4.3.zip

That link is for the toolchain you need, i've been hosting it on dropbox for a while until I get it over to a more permanent host.

I can walk you through it later if you want.

I have it written up on how to set up your linux environment and make changes, including versioning instructions, just haven't found the time to polish off a part of it and add it to the dev reference yet.

Got a whole space reserved for the how to from start to finish on making kernels for the doubleshot, and i've already walked people through it with no kernel dev experience so if you've done it for another device it'll be a cakewalk.

I'm eating breakfast now and gotta run out to another job, and going straight from there to dodgeball practice, then work again tonight and from there right to the job i'm about to do again tomorrow this time, so tomorrow night i'm doubtless going to sleep - maybe as early as saturday evening I could go through it with you on IRC if you are interested.

Otherwise I hope to have that in the dev ref next week, work permitting.

I might have my little one on Saturday night so that maybe a no go for then, the tool chain I currently have is 4.4.1, because anything newer for the speedy breaks a ton during the compile.....I changed some commands around for ****s and giggles and got a zimage in arch/arm/boot so I split it with the ota ramdisk and I'm just gonna try....if that goes south I'll setup your tool chain....thanks blue your like the DoubleShot dictionary....

Also I'm gonna grab one of your kernel zips for test flashes if that's ok

Last edited:

michaelmab88

Nov 9, 2010
Bentonville
Updated source is awesome though. Tried to get it earlier and couldn't - can't on shift and will be working straight until Friday afternoon so won't have a chance to try again for a few days.

Any percieved lack of development is due to people not putting any effort into it - everyone who cries about a lack of development should do something about it instead of waiting for someone else to do so.

Why come here if you don't want to get into dev, worse, come here and complain about yourself not doing anything? Kinda silly.

Whenever I see people complain about a lack of development I wonder why they would basically make fun of themselves? It gives me a laugh at their expense...

Hey I'm not complaining, and I am working on it! I just have to balance between school and work and learning how to build cm7/cm9 from source.

You can check out a little bit of what I've been working on github.com/mafischer

Reactions: gtmaster303

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Hey I'm not complaining, and I am working on it! I just have to balance between school and work and learning how to build cm7/cm9 from source.

You can check out a little bit of what I've been working on github.com/mafischer

Lol no worries my friend, was a general comment and not aimed at you in particular, just a perspective I wanted to put out there and you were the first opportunity to do so.

I still haven't found the time to get git set up and learn how to use it - that whole life getting in the way of living thing. Given you have git going that makes you a more responsible dev then I in my book - :)

@ strapped: all my work available is a contribution to the open source community at large, and the members of XDA in particular. If any of it can be useful, especially as a teaching tool, I wholeheartedly encourage it!

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Where did all of you come from?
Never knew there was this many people working on the Doubleshot in the background...

michaelmab88

Nov 9, 2010
Bentonville
Never knew there was this many people working on the Doubleshot in the background...

I've been here since i preordered my doubleshot... I just haven't had time to work on much of anything, so there's no point in advertising to the community that I'm gonna work on things that may or may not ever get finished. I don't want to spread false hope or anything.

I am however, graduating in may; I'm going to be working over at walmart isd for a summer internship, and I should have more time on my hands once school is over! :D

Reactions: gtmaster303

Kanerix

Jul 13, 2011
How integrated is the Sense stuff into the kernel? As I understand it, we've had trouble removing the Sense underpinnings from the operating system to get it working with things such as Sixaxis. I'm aware that this is entirely a lack of understanding on my part.

I would quite love to get involved in building a ROM myself, perhaps even setting up CM9 from scratch. I just have no idea how to get started. I've mucked around with custom kernels and embedded linux (not android) devices in the past, but I'm not sure how that knowledge would apply to this system. I also have no history of proper programming languages or anything like that. I'm vaguely familiar with how to compile things with the ARM toolchains.

I'm also a tad nervous about bricking the device by writing to a memory location that I really shouldn't be touching.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
How integrated is the Sense stuff into the kernel? As I understand it, we've had trouble removing the Sense underpinnings from the operating system to get it working with things such as Sixaxis. I'm aware that this is entirely a lack of understanding on my part.

I would quite love to get involved in building a ROM myself, perhaps even setting up CM9 from scratch. I just have no idea how to get started. I've mucked around with custom kernels and embedded linux (not android) devices in the past, but I'm not sure how that knowledge would apply to this system. I also have no history of proper programming languages or anything like that. I'm vaguely familiar with how to compile things with the ARM toolchains.

I'm also a tad nervous about bricking the device by writing to a memory location that I really shouldn't be touching.

Sorry for quoting the whole post just to address one thing, but in regards to sixaxis I'm sure it's a safe bet that if one were to simply replace the stock bluetooth stack with the one kornyone used for cm7 in my bulletproof rom it would work fine, and I doubt much other, if any modification would be necessary.

I haven't had time to try, and truthfully i'd rather build my own so am kinda intentionally not trying - I am more interested in the project then just jumping into a solution.

It really depends on what you are trying to do - some sense things can be replaced with relatively little effort, other things are so interwoven it would take considerable effort and time to unravel, reverse engineer and implement a new solution.

A lot of people have been working on different parts of unravelling sense since back in august, and around the middle of that month we got s-off and really started digging in.

There is a considerable knowledge base lurking here to address this kind of stuff if people make it known they are working on things - dig back through the history of the device here at XDA and you can catch a glimpse of it and get some direction on who you can approach when you hit a roadblock, depending on what kind of roadblock it is.

It's better for us as a community to have that kind of knowledge out on the public forum, but there's much more here then what face value suggests.

I've been trying to get that kind of stuff and a general 'start here' knowledge base built in the developers reference stickied here in dev, reading through that would be a good place to start getting oriented on devving for the dubleshot.

I just go through some crazy work cycles and sometimes can't be around much for a time here and ther, so my contributions come in groups and gaps.

Last edited:

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
I've been here since i preordered my doubleshot... I just haven't had time to work on much of anything, so there's no point in advertising to the community that I'm gonna work on things that may or may not ever get finished. I don't want to spread false hope or anything.

I am however, graduating in may; I'm going to be working over at walmart isd for a summer internship, and I should have more time on my hands once school is over! :D

It doesn't matter whether or not you finish. Status updates would be nice though. At least that way people can know what you're up to, and they may even be able to help you and vice versa.

No one here is demanding an ETA or even a completion at all. We're all in for the fun of it.
Either way I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say, we're excited to see what you got cooking :)

Kanerix

Jul 13, 2011
Sorry for quoting the whole post just to address one thing, but in regards to sixaxis I'm sure it's a safe bet that if one were to simply replace the stock bluetooth stack with the one kornyone used for cm7 in my bulletproof rom it would work fine, and I doubt much other, if any modification would be necessary.

I haven't had time to try, and truthfully i'd rather build my own so am kinda intentionally not trying - I am more interested in the project then just jumping into a solution.

It really depends on what you are trying to do - some sense things can be replaced with relatively little effort, other things are so interwoven it would take considerable effort and time to unravel, reverse engineer and implement a new solution.

A lot of people have been working on different parts of unravelling sense since back in august, and around the middle of that month we got s-off and really started digging in.

There is a considerable knowledge base lurking here to address this kind of stuff if people make it known they are working on things - dig back through the history of the device here at XDA and you can catch a glimpse of it and get some direction on who you can approach when you hit a roadblock, depending on what kind of roadblock it is.

It's better for us as a community to have that kind of knowledge out on the public forum, but there's much more here then what face value suggests.

I've been trying to get that kind of stuff and a general 'start here' knowledge base built in the developers reference stickied here in dev, reading through that would be a good place to start getting oriented on devving for the dubleshot.

I just go through some crazy work cycles and sometimes can't be around much for a time here and ther, so my contributions come in groups and gaps.

I've been trying to go through the dev reference that you posted and track down as much scattered information as I can, but I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing. Alas.

Regarding bluetooth: would the gingerbread stack be compatible with ICS?

michaelmab88

Nov 9, 2010
Bentonville
It doesn't matter whether or not you finish. Status updates would be nice though. At least that way people can know what you're up to, and they may even be able to help you and vice versa.

No one here is demanding an ETA or even a completion at all. We're all in for the fun of it.
Either way I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say, we're excited to see what you got cooking :)

Well what I'm currently up to is making a stable version of cm7 for the doubleshot. I have made lots of progress as far as learning all the tools necessary to compile android from source, which is a relatively simple task. The not so simple part is trying to put together like a puzzle, the source code from other devices. I've hit some roadblocks and I'm currently asking some devs for help, but while I'm at it I guess I can ask for help here on xda.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well what I'm currently up to is making a stable version of cm7 for the doubleshot. I have made lots of progress as far as learning all the tools necessary to compile android from source, which is a relatively simple task. The not so simple part is trying to put together like a puzzle, the source code from other devices. I've hit some roadblocks and I'm currently asking some devs for help, but while I'm at it I guess I can ask for help here on xda.