Guide/HowTo/Tips'nTricks - The perfect Nook Simple Touch Setup w/ battery optimizati

Search This thread

quiritius

Mar 19, 2012
Hi,
Any advice on why I might not be able to remove these files would be greatly appreciated.

You probably just have to use some app that works with root rights to do the job. There is a multidute of options but you can use Titanium Back, or Super manager, or SD Maid, or some other tool that can remove system applications. Titanium might be more useful since you can back up what you remove and restore later if you need. Be careful though, any of these apps can potentially brick you system.

You can use a more direct approach and delete manually the files from /system/app folder using either, for example, Total commander, or file manager in Super Manager or noogie SD card. You have to know what you are doing, though.

Since you even ask the question, probably it is best to make a full back-up, if have not done so yet (yes, using noogie) and then try Titanium Backup (freeze or remove). The free version should be more than enough for the task.

PS When using a file manager to delete/modify files in '/system', remount the partition to read/write mode.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 412180

I've used the script in NookManager and on fw 1.2.1. I left only the following stock apps:
AccountAndSyncSettings
AFfileDownloadService
DownloadAdmin
DownloadProvider
DrmProvider
MediaProvider
Oobe
ServiceOne
SysChecksum
ThumbnailService
The NST works fast and there are 140mb free on restart. I am using ReLaunch from NookManager and Cool Reader for reading, so the default launcher and reader are also disabled. The only problem I found is that the apps can be installed only by using Search Market in NST, not from play.google.com. The market app updated to the last version and it is workin correcly. If the app is installed from NST - it appears in My Apps in the web site, so there is at least one way synchronisation. I am wondering if there is app from the stock ones that should be also enabled to fix the problem, and also if there is app from the ones that I let running, that is useful...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dadbeh

Jun 28, 2012
Berea
I rooted my Nook simple touch with NookManager. it was on 1.2.1 version. it went very smoothly.
but i can not back up! how do you back up using NookManager?
I looked for ES File Explorer. it was supposed to be there but its not.

krasus5000

Dec 18, 2013

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Hi! I can not remove listed applications using root explorer. It tells me "...apk cannot be deleted becouse the file system is read-only". Can someone help me?
You need to enable "Mount R/W" in Root Explorer.

Also, instead of removing/deleting the targeted app, you can simply rename that app with a different file extension, e.g., "abc.apk" to "abc.apk.bak"; this way, you can revert the change if need-be down the road.

Reactions: krasus5000

Crispy3000

May 26, 2013
If you want to do this kind of stuff its really worth just setting up ADB on your PC.

Then just run "ADB Konnect" app on NST/NSTG hit on. Set screensaver to be longer (if it goes to sleep you break ADB connection)

On PC type
Code:
adb connect [IP Adddress/Hostname]

Then you can alter files and push or pull files to and from your computer. If something goes wrong stick nookmanager on a sdcard and you can enable wireless / ADB from there to fix whatever you just did.

If you don't need the space in your /system partition (which most won't need) you can simply disable any of these system apps to something not .apk so you can easily undo it. I usually do the following as example using copy and paste from my guide files.

Code:
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
cd /system/app
mv Music.apk Music.disable
mv Talk.apk Talk.disable
mv TalkProvider.apk TalkProvider.disable
mv TelephonyProvider.apk TelephonyProvider.disable
mv HTMLViewer.apk HTMLViewer.disable
mv Gallery.apk Gallery.disable
mv PicoTts.apk PicoTts.disable
mv TtsService.apk TtsService.disable
exit
adb disconnect

You don't need to make system read only again a reboot will fix that.

Reactions: cifa

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
Google Pixel C
I have set up adb for many devices, on manyndifferent machines, but I cannot get it to work on win 8 with the nst. How do you know the Hostname which should follow the IP address?

Go forth and work toward your salvation with diligence.

straygecko

Feb 20, 2009
I have set up adb for many devices, on manyndifferent machines, but I cannot get it to work on win 8 with the nst. How do you know the Hostname which should follow the IP address?

Go forth and work toward your salvation with diligence.
adb connect needs ip address OR hostname, not both. Use the ip address ADB Konnect tells you to use.

lycantrophic

Jan 5, 2014
BnCloudRequestSvc.apk
Shop.apk​
I found the without these two apps, the Nook reader had a couple of minor hiccups. Neither the More… menu entry nor double clicking on a book in Library gave book details, for my side-loaded books. I reinstalled the two apk files.

I deleted those two files with root explorer but i don't have a backup. How can I install those back? Please help.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
You can download the software update from B&N, strip the signature from the head (if your unzipper can't deal with it) and unzip everything.

Book details is in Shop.apk, I deleted that long ago.
I use my own Library.apk which replaces Library & Shop.
It also has the feature of knowing the expiration date of library books from ADE.

lycantrophic

Jan 5, 2014
You can download the software update from B&N, strip the signature from the head (if your unzipper can't deal with it) and unzip everything.

Book details is in Shop.apk, I deleted that long ago.
I use my own Library.apk which replaces Library & Shop.
It also has the feature of knowing the expiration date of library books from ADE.

That solved the problem. Thank you very much. :)

kurono93

Aug 27, 2014
Is there any apps to uninstall default apps in rooted Nook Simple Touch? I have tried Link2SD, but the system does not allow use it.

N

NOOK!E

Is there any apps to uninstall default apps in rooted Nook Simple Touch? I have tried Link2SD, but the system does not allow use it.

Try ES File Explorer. If you open the menu on the left side of the screen, there will be a slider for "Root Explorer". Turn that slider to the "On" position. Superuser should pop up and ask for permission, hit "OK" and keep the "Remember" box checked. Then, open up the side menu again, find the option "Root Explorer" again, and this time, tap on the words "Root Explorer". An options menu will come up. Hit "Mount R/W", and make sure that ALL of the options there have the "RW" circle filled in. Hit "OK", and you're good to go! You can now edit, delete and uninstall any system files/apps you want.

Last edited:

kurono93

Aug 27, 2014
Try ES File Explorer. If you open the menu on the left side of the screen, there will be a slider for "Root Explorer". Turn that slider to the "On" position. Superuser should pop up and ask for permission, hit "OK" and keep the "Remember" box checked. Then, open up the side menu again, find the option "Root Explorer" again, and this time, tap on the words "Root Explorer". An options menu will come up. Hit "Mount R/W", and make sure that ALL of the options there have the "RW" circle filled in. Hit "OK", and you're good to go! You can now edit, delete and uninstall any system files/apps you want! :D

Can I get a post thank if I helped? My fingers kinda hurt from typing that novel up there ^!

:laugh:

Thansk for your help. You are so kind. Blessings

N

NOOK!E

WARNING!

If you want to keep using Shop, Social and all the B&N syncing apps, DO NOT delete DeviceManager.apk! This app is essential to keep the B&N services hooked up to your Nook!

IlGordex

Sep 9, 2014
Hey guys, I deleted Shop.apk and DeviceManager.apk file,and now when I try to download an app fromthe nook (using the google playstore or looking for the app with SearchMarket) it starts downloading, but it doesn't download. More precisely, it says: "Starting download". But there it stays, trying to download with no results. I left them for an hour or so to complete the donwload, and there they are, "starting the download". It isn't the internet connection, because I can surf the web correctly with Opera Mini.Do you have any idea? I think it's because I deleted Shop.apk and DeviceManager.apk. Any idea on how can I fix this? ThankThank you for your time and sorry for my terrifying english.

Last edited:

nivieru

Nov 15, 2013
Hey guys, I deleted Shop.apk and DeviceManager.apk file,and now when I try to download an app fromthe nook (using the google playstore or looking for the app with SearchMarket) it starts downloading, but it doesn't download. More precisely, it says: "Starting download". But there it stays, trying to download with no results. I left them for an hour or so to complete the donwload, and there they are, "starting the download". It isn't the internet connection, because I can surf the web correctly with Opera Mini.Do you have any idea? I think it's because I deleted Shop.apk and DeviceManager.apk. Any idea on how can I fix this? ThankThank you for your time and sorry for my terrifying english.

It probably has nothing to do with the Shop.apk and DeviceManager.apk or the nook specifically, rather it's a problem with Market.
I had it once but I don't remembr how I solved it, google it and you'll see it's quite common.

N

NOOK!E

This problem, most likely, is due to DeviceManager.apk being deleted. Put it back, and see if it works.

N

NOOK!E

Here are the files Shop.apk and DeviceManager.apk for IIGordex and anyone else who needs them.

Have a good day!

Attachments

• Shop.apk
    911.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DeviceManager.apk
    357 KB · Views: 83

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide/HowTo/Tips'nTricks - The perfect Nook Simple Touch Setup

Nook Simple Touch (N2E) power management / battery optimization

Prerequisites:-

You know how to backup & restore,
    You have a working backup

Unregister & wipe user data
    (It is not required to register the device!)

Start with stock N2E running f/w v1.0.1/v1.1.0/v1.2.0
    (If you have customized it somehow, please reset to stock)

Update to f/w v1.2.0
    (This has the 1.1.0 kernel + some WiFi corrections)

Root the N2E device

Lets Begin:-

Uninstall the following stock apps:-

AFfileDownloadService.apk (Hint: disables book covers, skip it if you like book covers)
    AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
    BnAuthenticationService.apk
    BnCloudRequestSvc.apk
    CloudService.apk
    DemoMode.apk
    DeviceManager.apk
    DeviceRegistrator.apk
    Music.apk
    NookCommunity.apk
    Phone.apk
    QuickStartActivity.apk
    Shop.apk
    Social.apk
    TelephonyProvider.apk
    WaveformDownloader.apk

(Hint: you can just delete the above apks from /system/app/ directory, then reboot)

In file /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg
    Delete the line
    0 0 android
    (I suspect doing this forces h/w rendering, needs more testing)

Download & adb install CPU utility(easier way)
    play[dot]google[dot]com/store/apps/details?id=it.sineo.android.noFrillsCPU

Set Min AND Max clock freq. To 300 MHz
    Set CPU Governor to ondemand
    Set I/O scheduler to noop
    check “Apply on boot”
    Click Apply
    Click Exit

Press Nook “U”/reverse“U” Button> Settings> Screen>Screen Timeout
    Choose 2 Minutes.
    Exit

Charge the battery to 100%/Full
    Reboot

Results:-

Your CPU is now running at max 300MHz
    When you want the N2E device to sleep, remember
    DO NOT PRESS Power Button to set the N2E device to sleep
    DO NOT LONG PRESS the “U”/Reverse“U” Button to set the N2E device to sleep

If you leave the N2E device alone, it will AUTOMATICALLY go to sleep,
    after the 2 minute timeout set by us.

After a overnight/12 hour period check the battery level indicator by waking up the N2E device,
    if it automatically entered sleep state at 100% battery charge, it should wake up at 99%
    (Ideally loses ~1% charge, and most certainly less than < 3%)

Before this process, it would lose battery charge at the rate of ~3%/hour of sleep.

Further customizations:-

Launcher:-
    Best launcher seems to be ReLaunch v1.3.8
    Also note: It seems to use ~20% CPU while idle, time to bug the developer
    meanwhile best not to leave it running then huh?

Button reccommedations:

set the lower left page turn button mapping to Android back button
    set the lower right page turn button mapping to Android menu button

App recommendations:-

Browsers:-
    Both Opera Mini & Opera Mobile work great
    (Perhaps if someone can point out how to disable all opera menu animations, they annoy a bit)

Note: browsers use CPU & GPU,
    better set your CPU scaling
    min 300 MHz
    max 800 MHz
    only while browsing, and then reset it back to 300 MHz max when finished with browsing

eReader App:-
    Nook stock reader is the BEST ePub reader,

FBreader & coolreader are good
    (Hint: disable all animations etc) these are useful to read *.mobi

mantano free/paid app
    useful for reading PDFs (also reads epub/mobi/etc)
    (Note: Nook's 6inch screen is problematic for reading PDFs )

Kindle App (v3.0.1.70) works w/ Nook android 2.1
    (I need to figure out how to use it as a reader w/o registering with amazon, else its useless)

Firewall :-
    One would assume iptables would be build-in to the linux kernel, but no that module is missing
    netfilter.ko
    x_tables.ko
    xt_tcpudp.ko
    nf_sockopt.ko
    ip_tables.ko
    ipt_addrtype.ko
    iptable_filter.ko

I can't use Droidwall firewall, need to do something about net security

Device syncing options:-
    Recommended to use calibre to sync your library to device'SDcard

Currently, I'm Rsyncing the SDCard to PC & back via Samba file sharing, Rsync running at PC end.
    (If its possible to have Sdcard as EXT4 instead of FAT32 mounted, then simple Rsync at PC end will be best)
    Hint: (ofcourse all this rsyncing & samba to avoid dropbox roundtrip)

Requests:-

Please try the above process to further narrow down the power management issues, so that it becomes
    easier for all of us to set the NooK N2E to sleep properly.

After testing the process, perhaps it's best to host this content on the nook wiki here:-
    nookdevs[dot]com/Portal:Nook_Simple_Touch

Also, would be nice to get a proper firewall for N2E, need kernel module

Screenshots:-
    hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/q1a34.png
    hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/EPcqH.png
    hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/W6Zbw.png
    hxxp://i[dot]imgur[dot]com/wK8z8.png

Post your feedback here!
    And, can anyone provide an updated list of apps that can be safely deleted? i use a rooted nook 1.2.1.
    AFfileDownloadService.apk (Hint: disables book covers, skip it if you like book covers)
    AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
    AirRuntime.apk
    BnAuthenticationService.apk
    BnCloudRequestSvc.apk
    Browser.apk
    CloudService.apk
    DemoMode.apk
    DeviceManager.apk
    DeviceRegistrator.apk
    Gallery.apk
    GoogleSearch.apk
    Music.apk
    NookCommunity.apk
    Phone.apk
    PicoTts.apk
    QuickStartActivity.apk
    Shop.apk
    Social.apk
    TelephonyProvider.apk
    TtsService.apk
    WaveformDownloader.apk

I have uninstalled them all in my NST, so far so good (quite a while)
    Hi! I can not remove listed applications using root explorer. It tells me "...apk cannot be deleted becouse the file system is read-only". Can someone help me?
    You need to enable "Mount R/W" in Root Explorer.

Also, instead of removing/deleting the targeted app, you can simply rename that app with a different file extension, e.g., "abc.apk" to "abc.apk.bak"; this way, you can revert the change if need-be down the road.
    If you want to do this kind of stuff its really worth just setting up ADB on your PC.

Then just run "ADB Konnect" app on NST/NSTG hit on. Set screensaver to be longer (if it goes to sleep you break ADB connection)

On PC type
    Code:
    adb connect [IP Adddress/Hostname]

Then you can alter files and push or pull files to and from your computer. If something goes wrong stick nookmanager on a sdcard and you can enable wireless / ADB from there to fix whatever you just did.

If you don't need the space in your /system partition (which most won't need) you can simply disable any of these system apps to something not .apk so you can easily undo it. I usually do the following as example using copy and paste from my guide files.

Code:
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    cd /system/app
    mv Music.apk Music.disable
    mv Talk.apk Talk.disable
    mv TalkProvider.apk TalkProvider.disable
    mv TelephonyProvider.apk TelephonyProvider.disable
    mv HTMLViewer.apk HTMLViewer.disable
    mv Gallery.apk Gallery.disable
    mv PicoTts.apk PicoTts.disable
    mv TtsService.apk TtsService.disable
    exit
    adb disconnect

You don't need to make system read only again a reboot will fix that.
    First clear defaults of all other readers you installed through Application Manager. Then at the book opening you should see a choice with 'Use by default' tick.
    The Mantano Reader (the only other reader installed) has nothing to clear (its "Clear Default" greyed out). I also tried uninstalling & reinstalling Mantano -- still no dice.

I am curious as to why there is no entry for BN Reader in "Manage applications".