Fast/Easy unbrick - Droid 3 (XT862)

Search This thread

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
Okay guys, I've learned from my mistakes of mixing bootstrap files, but I'm here to help you unbrick your Droid 3 (XT862) The following is a list to unbrick, the process should take about 5 minutes (not including the download or boot time)
1.[Originally from RootzWiki] Updated Link! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61707107/Verizon%20Droid%203%205.6.890%20OTA/Flash%2BVerizon%2BDROID%2B3%2BOTA%2B5.6.890%2Bto%2Bphone_psouza4.zip
2. Download the ~450mb file.
3. If you have a spare battery, or the current battery, make sure it's charged above 50% (quick unbrick wont run if it's below 50%) You can use a spare USB cable and strip the red and black wires, then place the red on the + contact of the battery, black on the - contact. Dont charge it via this method for longer than a couple hours, and unplug if the battery starts to get hot. (Lithium-Ion explodes when overheated too much)
4. When the download is complete, extract the RAR file (WinZip), and when the phone is off, press m+power and scroll down to AP Fastboot.
5. Plug the phone into a USB 2.0 or older USB jack on your computer (some users finding USB 3.0 problems), make sure you get the USB connected message on the phone.
6. Run the "Click Here - Flash Verizon" file, make sure you get "OKAY" for each message that pops up on the CMD prompt.
7. Let your phone restore and boot.
If you have any questions, feel free to message me or reply to this post.
***Sorry for the re-post, but I don't want rants on iphones and ps3 controllers on a potential sticky thread :D

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2011
Have you done everything in the directions? Make sure you're in AP fastboot, connected to usb, and have a 50% or higher battery charge. Are you getting error codes?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

i followed the directions strictly and i was getting no error codes and battery was way above 50% but not anymore because i been waiting and nothing happend. do i need the motorola micro usb because i have a regular micro usb . and when i unplug it, it says transfer error (too many files) . not the exact words but its something like that. :( and plus im on windows xp 32-bit

Last edited:

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
i followed the directions strictly and i was getting no error codes and battery was way above 50% but not anymore because i been waiting and nothing happend. do i need the motorola micro usb because i have a regular micro usb . and when i unplug it, it says transfer error (too many files) . not the exact words but its something like that. :( and plus im on windows xp 32-bit

I used to use a standard micro usb, and now I have to use the motorola supplied one. You can charge your battery via the stripped USB cable method, just be careful, and this may sound redundant, but make sure youre using a Droid 3 (XT862) Also see if you can boot into recovery somehow, (m+power method, or x+power method) and remove all of the files that you can (possibility that you're exceeding the system partitions). Keep me updated, I'll try to help as much as I can.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2011
I used to use a standard micro usb, and now I have to use the motorola supplied one. You can charge your battery via the stripped USB cable method, just be careful, and this may sound redundant, but make sure youre using a Droid 3 (XT862) Also see if you can boot into recovery somehow, (m+power method, or x+power method) and remove all of the files that you can (possibility that you're exceeding the system partitions). Keep me updated, I'll try to help as much as I can.

ok yes the phone is xt862, and i think the problem could be the usb. do you know where i can get the motorola supplied one because i dont have the stock one. and i can get into recovery, i wiped data and cache paritions. thats about all i can do. and as for the battery i have a friend with a universal battery charger so thats not a problem.

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
ok yes the phone is xt862, and i think the problem could be the usb. do you know where i can get the motorola supplied one because i dont have the stock one. and i can get into recovery, i wiped data and cache paritions. thats about all i can do. and as for the battery i have a friend with a universal battery charger so thats not a problem.

Motorolas website, ebay, amazon. Try those, and try plugging your usb into the back of your pc (where the motherboard has its outputs) because those support data transfer a lot better than the front ones.. maybe look around for a Motorola ADB driver or some sort, because I distinctly remember on my windows 7 computer, a message popped up saying Motorola ADB driver installed or something like that, right after I plugged the usb cord in after I started AP fastboot.

Nov 12, 2011
Motorolas website, ebay, amazon. Try those, and try plugging your usb into the back of your pc (where the motherboard has its outputs) because those support data transfer a lot better than the front ones.. maybe look around for a Motorola ADB driver or some sort, because I distinctly remember on my windows 7 computer, a message popped up saying Motorola ADB driver installed or something like that, right after I plugged the usb cord in after I started AP fastboot.

i only have one port on my 32-bit . how can i install the motorola adb drivers? im pretty sure i already did that when installing android sdk but im not sure . if this doesnt work i guess im just gonna have to have a funeral for this phone.:confused:

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
i only have one port on my 32-bit . how can i install the motorola adb drivers? im pretty sure i already did that when installing android sdk but im not sure . if this doesnt work i guess im just gonna have to have a funeral for this phone.:confused:
Go on motorolas website, there should be software drivers, or you could google it. I'm afraid you're in territory I haven't dealt with before. The only advice that I can give is to redownload or download drivers, try redownloading the file for the unbrick, use WINZIP as your application to unzip the rar file, and just keep trying. I'm sorry man.

Nov 12, 2011
Go on motorolas website, there should be software drivers, or you could google it. I'm afraid you're in territory I haven't dealt with before. The only advice that I can give is to redownload or download drivers, try redownloading the file for the unbrick, use WINZIP as your application to unzip the rar file, and just keep trying. I'm sorry man.

do you think it could be the Usb cable . when you tried it with a regular cable did it work for you ?

bbeaulieu

Jan 7, 2010
So I borked my phone earlier today and tried to use this method to get back to stock, but this doesn't seem to be working for me. It flashes everything just fine but when the phone reboots I get taken to the fastboot screen with more errors on it. I'm at a loss now...help!

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
So I borked my phone earlier today and tried to use this method to get back to stock, but this doesn't seem to be working for me. It flashes everything just fine but when the phone reboots I get taken to the fastboot screen with more errors on it. I'm at a loss now...help!
Try going into recovery, and do a factory data reset, and clear your cache. Then try.the flash again, and disconnect your usb cable after you finish the flash. If it does it again, pull the battery and keep trying. Make sure you're using an xt862..

bbeaulieu

Jan 7, 2010
Try going into recovery, and do a factory data reset, and clear your cache. Then try.the flash again, and disconnect your usb cable after you finish the flash. If it does it again, pull the battery and keep trying. Make sure you're using an xt862..

I can't get into recovery but I did everything else. I get to the same screen as before. At the bottom it says-

Invalid CG OTV (CG: cdrom) Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG OTV (CG: system) Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB (CG: system, status: 0X0035)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: system)

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
I can't get into recovery but I did everything else. I get to the same screen as before. At the bottom it says-

Invalid CG OTV (CG: cdrom) Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG OTV (CG: system) Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG HAB (CG: system, status: 0X0035)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: system)

Looks like its having issues writing things to your partitions (not positive though) try redownloading the entire 450mb file off of the site posted.
*Edit - Use WinZip if you can - I used that

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay guys, I've learned from my mistakes of mixing bootstrap files, but I'm here to help you unbrick your Droid 3 (XT862) The following is a list to unbrick, the process should take about 5 minutes (not including the download or boot time)
    1.[Originally from RootzWiki] Updated Link! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61707107/Verizon%20Droid%203%205.6.890%20OTA/Flash%2BVerizon%2BDROID%2B3%2BOTA%2B5.6.890%2Bto%2Bphone_psouza4.zip
    2. Download the ~450mb file.
    3. If you have a spare battery, or the current battery, make sure it's charged above 50% (quick unbrick wont run if it's below 50%) You can use a spare USB cable and strip the red and black wires, then place the red on the + contact of the battery, black on the - contact. Dont charge it via this method for longer than a couple hours, and unplug if the battery starts to get hot. (Lithium-Ion explodes when overheated too much)
    4. When the download is complete, extract the RAR file (WinZip), and when the phone is off, press m+power and scroll down to AP Fastboot.
    5. Plug the phone into a USB 2.0 or older USB jack on your computer (some users finding USB 3.0 problems), make sure you get the USB connected message on the phone.
    6. Run the "Click Here - Flash Verizon" file, make sure you get "OKAY" for each message that pops up on the CMD prompt.
    7. Let your phone restore and boot.
    If you have any questions, feel free to message me or reply to this post.
    ***Sorry for the re-post, but I don't want rants on iphones and ps3 controllers on a potential sticky thread :D
    From another thread...
    phone is now dead and I can no longer try to flash over the sbf file.... This definitely sucks. So any ideas guys? I read somewhere about connecting the cord to the back of the phone if I cut the cord to make it think that it is charged.
    I downloaded your sbf. Extracted it to a new folder on my desktop. Ran rsd lite 5.5 restarted phone in fastboot mode. Connected it with the usb to the computer. clicked ... ran the extracted folder that had the xml. and yea now I can't try again because low battery

Ok, first, you must charge your battery. Get an unneeded USB cable (NOT your stock Moto cable, but one from an old keyboard, mouse, camera, etc.) Cut the cable off from the device, I cut an old mouse off right at the mouse. There should be 4 thinner wires inside: red, white, green and black. Grab the red and black ones and strip off about 1/2-1 inch of the colored insulation. Red is hot, black is ground. Fold each over themselves to make it double thick and insert the red into the + slot of the battery and black into the - slot. Let this sit and charge for no more than 3 hours (battery is ~1500mAh, USB output of 500mA). Now that you're charged up, get a fresh DL of the quick unbricking script just to be sure...
    http://bit.ly/D3UnBrick

This will download as a .zip file. Use 7zip, winrar, etc. to unzip this folder onto your desktop. There is no need for RSD lite with this method of unbricking. Open up that folder than has been created on your desktop (it should be called Flash+Verizon+DROID+3+OTA+5.6.890+to+phone_psouza4). Open up another folder inside there named "Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone_psouza4". Now, locate something called "CLICK HERE - Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone.bat". In Windows 7 at least, this has little gears as its icon. (see attached screenshot) Don't double click it yet.

Head over to your phone and ensure your battery is charged. Press M+Power and select AP Fastboot. Connect your phone to your computer via stock Moto cable. The phone screen should say "USB connected" or something along those lines to show it has detected a connection. Go back to the open folder and NOW double click "CLICK HERE - Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone.bat". A command prompt looking window should appear. Let the phone sit there and do its thing.

This video I made illustrates the process as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcne9tFtBxY
    new link

seems that the the links no longer work; can someone supply good a good link or send me the file directly?

Thanks for all the help & info

Hey I searched the web for this and only found one .zip that was twice the size because there was 2 of everything in it! I took out the extra copies and repacked it into a .rar and have uploaded it to my website here craigconcepts.com/public/psouzaFXZwithRootToos-D3.rar
    just use the xml or one click sbf exe
    links in my list
    sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid 3 (XT862)

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2