[GUIDE] How To Update Rooted Moto G ( US Global GSM)

Search This thread

secretkloud

Oct 7, 2013
Hey all,

I noticed many people seem to be having problems with the new OTA update (174.44.1 US). I also tried to update and my Moto G went into a bootloop. After much tinkering, I found a possible solution.

As far as I can tell, the update problems are caused by:

- Xposed modules like Gravitybox (not really sure why)
- Hacks like the H/H+ hack that replaces SystemUI.apk
- Any other mod that changes something in /system

This is what I did:
(Note that I have 4.4 Stock, rooted and PhilZ CWM recovery. Xposed, Gravitybox, H/H+ hack and Logo hack)

- Downloaded the zip from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2653978
- Placed it in the SD of the phone
- Unchecked all modules in Xposed and rebooted
- Rebooted again, this time into PhilZ and installed the update zip from the SD

It showed me an error with SystemUI.apk (and I remembered changing it for the H,H+ hack). So I went and restored the original.

Then I tried again. It went smoothly. And I still have root :D

Now I'm just waiting to see if the new SystemUI.apk is different from the old one before I restore the hack.

NOTE: For those who can't remember any/all changes made to /system, the stock system.img should be flashed in fastboot mode.

Hope this is useful...

(FIRST THREAD!:laugh:)

[UPDATE]: I have included my stock SystemUI.apk and .odex. Copy into /system/priv-app, overwrite existing files and set permissions to rw-r--r--.
All Xposed tweaks can be undone by unselecting the modules in the Xposed framework and rebooting.....before rebooting again into recovery..

UPDATE: Added the version of Philz recovery I use, for those with the "this package is for falcon_umts devices : this is a xt1034" error.
Extract into your fastboot folder and issue command:

fastboot flash recovery PhilZ.img

That should set all that straight...

Attachments

• SystemUI.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 712
Last edited:

draco259

Nov 1, 2010
When you say stock system.img do you mean system.img_sparsechunk1 2 and 3? Would I just flash them with fastboot flash system system.img? Would it wipe anything other than mods made in the system folder?

secretkloud

Oct 7, 2013
When you say stock system.img do you mean system.img_sparsechunk1 2 and 3? Would I just flash them with fastboot flash system system.img? Would it wipe anything other than mods made in the system folder?
It will return the system folder to default. All changes should be reset, as far as I can tell...

serophia

Feb 8, 2013
California
Hey all,

I noticed many people seem to be having problems with the new OTA update (174.44.1 US). I also tried to update and my Moto G went into a bootloop. After much tinkering, I found a possible solution.

This is what I did:
(Note that I have 4.4 Stock, rooted and PhilZ CWM recovery. Xposed, Gravitybox, H/H+ hack and Logo hack)

It showed me an error with SystemUI.apk (and I remembered changing it for the H,H+ hack). So I went and restored the original.

Now I'm just waiting to see if the new SystemUI.apk is different from the old one before I restore the hack.

NOTE: For those who can't remember any/all changes made to /system, the stock system.img should be flashed in fastboot mode.

Hope this is useful...

Hi can you include your original systemui.apk i lost mines >.<

KvnJT

Feb 27, 2014
Error when in recovery

I downloaded the zip but when I go to CWM recovery and try to install it from the SD it shows me an error.

it says; This package is for "falcon_umts" devices; this is a xt1032.

any help?

mdentener

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks

This guide allowed me to apply the latest OTA update on Retail GB (uk version). At first I was on regular CWM (not phil's touch version).
My phone was identified as XT1034 and the OTA update is for XT1032, so I flashed phil's CWM for XT1032.
After that it said my phone was XT1032 and the update was intended for Falcon, so I flashed Phil's CWM for falcon.

After that applied the update from within Phil's CWM and all worked perfectly.

Note: I didn't modify system, all I modified was: Custom recovery, root and xposed framework (gravitybox etc.)

Reactions: TechLT

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village

This guide allowed me to apply the latest OTA update on Retail GB (uk version). At first I was on regular CWM (not phil's touch version).
My phone was identified as XT1034 and the OTA update is for XT1032, so I flashed phil's CWM for XT1032.
After that it said my phone was XT1032 and the update was intended for Falcon, so I flashed Phil's CWM for falcon.

Note: I didn't modify system, all I modified was: Custom recovery, root and xposed framework (gravitybox etc.)

Why root??

OP says he kept root after update was applied??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TechLT

Feb 26, 2014

Same thing for me!

eastdata

Apr 17, 2011
i restored recovery, disabled all mods, unrooted, and did a factory reset when i try to install update i get an "error" in stock recovery? Any other suggestions i should do?

EDIT: nvm fixed by flashing system.img adaway was the problem for me >.<

Adaway modifies the "system/etc/hosts" file. It should also be disabled before updating.

mdentener

Jan 14, 2014
QUOTE=mdentener;50672956]Thanks :laugh:

Why root??

OP says he kept root after update was applied??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I kept my root also after the update. Those mods were installed before the OTA and remained installed after. I only disabled xposed modules temporarily and changed CWM to Phil's CWM to install the OTA.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

This is what I did:

Hope this is useful...

[UPDATE]: I have included my stock SystemUI.apk and .odex. Copy into /system/priv-app, overwrite existing files and set permissions to rw-r--r--.
    All Xposed tweaks can be undone by unselecting the modules in the Xposed framework and rebooting.....before rebooting again into recovery..

UPDATE: Added the version of Philz recovery I use, for those with the "this package is for falcon_umts devices : this is a xt1034" error.
    Extract into your fastboot folder and issue command:

fastboot flash recovery PhilZ.img

That should set all that straight...

Maybe you'll find the solution to your problem here.
    Thanks