[Q] SGH-I337m soft bricked with faulty usb

Search This thread

SgtBuzzkilll

Aug 27, 2014
A few days ago my USB port on my Telus SGH-I337m gave out, leaving me with no data connectivity and extremely limited charging capabilities.
I rooted the phone using ODIN and TWRP when I originally got it last summer, but i forgot all about that and brought it over to best buy for an exchange. We did a factory reset before the guy noticed it was rooted and told me to un root and come back. However, after the factory reset, I'm now stuck on the samsung galaxy s4 splash logo, but I do still have access to recovery booting. I've tried downloading stock and custom roms and flashing those to no avail. I switched my recovery manager from TWRP 2.5.0.0 to CWM 6.0.4.4, but still nothing. ODIN flashing is impossible because the USB port isn't working. Any suggestions?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Are you using super SU? There's an unroot option in it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Are you using super SU? There's an unroot option in it

Can you flash a rom in recovery using adb side load or pushing a rom to it

SgtBuzzkilll

Aug 27, 2014
I don't have access to super SU at the moment. The phone hangs during boot at the Samsung galaxy s4 splash logo

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I don't have access to super SU at the moment. The phone hangs during boot at the Samsung galaxy s4 splash logo

You said you flashed cwm over twrp, if you did so you must be able to flash a rom too.

The bright side, if it's not booting you could take it to a best buy and they couldn't tell it's rooted

Edit, when you boot into recovery is it the stock recovery now, or cwm?

Last edited:

SgtBuzzkilll

Aug 27, 2014
Any custom roms I've tried to flash have still left me stuck at the splash logo. Any chance you could point me to a stock ROM download? None of the stock roms i've found will install. And since it does still boot into recovery mode the guys at bestbuy will still know i have it rooted though right? worst case i might just drain the battery and bring it in since it takes about 20 mins to charge 1%.

edit: it recovery boots into CWM 6.0.4.4 only, hangs on normal startup with any rom

Last edited:

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Any custom roms I've tried to flash have still left me stuck at the splash logo. Any chance you could point me to a stock ROM download? None of the stock roms i've found will install. And since it does still boot into recovery mode the guys at bestbuy will still know i have it rooted though right? worst case i might just drain the battery and bring it in since it takes about 20 mins to charge 1%.

If it boots into a custom recovery, twrp or cwm, yes they're going to know you modified the device. But you're not going to be able to get rid of that without Odin.

SgtBuzzkilll

Aug 27, 2014
If I'm able to fix the boot error, would I be able to use mobile odin or super SU to unroot it?
Either way any other suggestions for getting past the splash screen?
What I've tried exactly is:
-boot into CWM recovery
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-wipe dalvik cache
-install ROM from zip
-reboot
custom ROMS install ok but give me the boot error
stock roms don't install at all

And thanks for the help i do appreciate it :)

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
If I'm able to fix the boot error, would I be able to use mobile odin or super SU to unroot it?
Either way any other suggestions for getting past the splash screen?
What I've tried exactly is:
-boot into CWM recovery
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-wipe dalvik cache
-install ROM from zip
-reboot
custom ROMS install ok but give me the boot error
stock roms don't install at all

And thanks for the help i do appreciate it :)

I'm not sure what to tell you. First, you're flashing the custom roms correctly and I'm not sure why they're not booting. I don't know what stock rom you're trying to flash.

Having the custom recovery is going to kill you at best buy. They'll try to boot into recovery to do a factory reset and they'll see you modified the device.

I don't know if mobile Odin works on the s4, I don't think so, but you'd have to boot into something first. And that's a problem right now.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

@SgtBuzzkill I'm not at a pc tonight but tomorrow I'll make you a stock recovery zip that you can flash in cwm. That will take care of the custom recovery issue

SgtBuzzkilll

Aug 27, 2014
I managed to get past the splash logo. Turn out i needed to format all the partitions as well as clear them before installing a rom.
The stock roms i was (mistakenly) trying were the odin tar.md5 files. But now I've got mobile odin running and I found a couple videos with mobile odin and the gs4 so im going to give it a shot. The procedure recommends >50% battery though so I'm going to have to let it charge overnight.
We'll see if it works in the morning

Starnel

Aug 8, 2014
Reflash lastest 4.4.2 (Colombia) Firmware from Sammobile, Tick "NAND Erase All", "Re-partition" & "Phone EFS Clear", also put the unziped attached file on the PIT section.

This will completely wipe your NAND, this means a complete Full wipe of the whole phone, I also have a i337M from Telus & deleted all the remains of previus modifications that normal recoveries can't wipe. thus reformatting Boot, Cache, System, EFS & all other partitions to their correct state.

Make sure your Odin window looks as the attached image.

It will stuck at samsung logo after flashing, boot to recovery & perform a factory reset, and you are good to go.

King regards.

Attachments

• Odin09i337M.PNG
    Odin09i337M.PNG
    157.6 KB · Views: 49
  • i337M_signed_fussion3.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Reflash lastest 4.4.2 (Colombia) Firmware from Sammobile, Tick "NAND Erase All", "Re-partition" & "Phone EFS Clear", also put the unziped attached file on the PIT section.

This will completely wipe your NAND, this means a complete Full wipe of the whole phone, I also have a i337M from Telus & deleted all the remains of previus modifications that normal recoveries can't wipe. thus reformatting Boot, Cache, System, EFS & all other partitions to their correct state.

Make sure your Odin window looks as the attached image.

Read the op. His usb port doesn't work. No Odin