Archos 80 g9 power issue

Search This thread

mielman

Jan 29, 2012
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3T
Hey all,

So, I've encountered multiple issues with my Archos 80 g9 lately.
Since I've had it for 2 years now, I know it has it's charming defects from time to time, but all of those were easy to fix.. until now.

Somehow, there is a dysfunction at the charger entry: My tablet only charges if the charger is slightly 'bent' to the left, which isn't so much of a problem on its own, but every time I want to use the device while its charging it keeps 'connecting' and 'disconnecting' the charger. I noticed that if this happens five or six times in a row, the device completely freezes, or just becomes extremely slow. I just don't want to open it up until I'm sure what is wrong.

Also, when I turned of the device last week, like a million times before (it was about 80% charged, btw) it just didn't want to turn on the day after. While I was pretty sure its battery wasn't drained I still tried to charge it: the green led turns on, and that's it.
No other sign of life, no reboot possible, the screen doesnt turn on and as soon as I remove the charger the led turns off and still nothing happens.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards,
mielman

Djirin

Apr 22, 2012
It has been said before that the charger ports on these are not the best thought out. Apparently only held in place by the solder of the pins and nothing else. What it sounds like to me is that the solder joints on yours is starting to become undone. I've heard they are not the easiest to resolder for a DIY repair unless you're really good at it.

As far as the not waking up.. Are you sure the tablet is turning off all the way? I'm using a custom rom on my 101 g9 turbo and I notice that every so often the tablet won't turn off all the way... ie the power LED is still on even though the screen is blank. I have to hold in the power button to force it to turn off.

mielman

Jan 29, 2012
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3T
It has been said before that the charger ports on these are not the best thought out. Apparently only held in place by the solder of the pins and nothing else. What it sounds like to me is that the solder joints on yours is starting to become undone. I've heard they are not the easiest to resolder for a DIY repair unless you're really good at it.
Then opening up the device it is.
As far as the not waking up.. Are you sure the tablet is turning off all the way? I'm using a custom rom on my 101 g9 turbo and I notice that every so often the tablet won't turn off all the way... ie the power LED is still on even though the screen is blank. I have to hold in the power button to force it to turn off.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is, since even holding the power butting for approximately 20 seconds doesnt change a thing.

Last edited:

mielman

Jan 29, 2012
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3T
I just ran into the same issue, what have you managed to do ?

Sorry, kinda killed the thread since I forgot to check for any replies.

So far I haven't really been trying to fix the problem, but since I've just bought a new phone charger I thought I might as well give it a try to charge the Archos with it.
I'll check for any changes in a few hours, if nothing changed, I might aswell disassemble it, then I'll notify you what the problem is.