Review: Samsung Infuse Vehicle Mount Dock for Skyrocket for DESKTOP use

Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Works GREAT as a desktop dock.

It stays put on my desk. I can poke the screen all I want and it doesn't budge. I can whack the sides or top and the phone doesn't fall out.
It's quick & easy to use one hand to put the phone in and remove it and connect it.

I just need to find a widget that allows me to turn on/off the 3.5mm headphone jack on the phone. And then this will be perfect. It synchs with your computer & charges the phone.
There is also software that turns it into "car mode" but I didn't install that.

Get it here for $20 shipped. Mine arrived in two-days.
Vehicle Mount - Samsung Infuse 4G - Cell Phone Accessories - from AT&T

VIDEO of me putting phone in dock, connecting the USB and then removing the phone:
MVI 3863 - YouTube

VIDEO of me using the phone in the dock. If you see what looks like cloths hangers on the screen, that's just a reflection of what's behind me.
MVI 3860 - YouTube

VIDEO of my "oops". Or something. O:)
MVI 3862 - YouTube

Pic of the micro USB and 3.5mm audio output jack. You can also see the knob that tightens or loosens the swivel function.
IMG_3847.jpg

You can see that the mount is a tiny bit big for the Skyrocket, but it's a bonus since it allows you to easily put the phone in there. But it's not loose enough that it will fall out. I use this in my car also and once the USB is plugged in, the phone is not going anywhere!
IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

Landscape mode + cables.
IMG_3845.jpg

I gave up on the suction cup and connected the sticky pad it comes with. Been in one spot for a couple hours now and I've banged away at it and the phone hasn't budged. It's a very solid surface when poking the screen with your fingers.
IMG_3864.jpg

KewlRobD

Oct 13, 2006
This may be exactly what I am looking for. I have the SGP Neo Hybrid case on my phone. Not sure if you are familiar with it but it is very low profile. Just wondering how much extra room there is. Do you think it would accommodate a low profile case?

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
This may be exactly what I am looking for. I have the SGP Neo Hybrid case on my phone. Not sure if you are familiar with it but it is very low profile. Just wondering how much extra room there is. Do you think it would accommodate a low profile case?

It's not that loose of a fit, fortunately. Or unfortunately in this case.
I have the SGP Ultra Capsule which is slimmer than the Neo Hybrid and it will not fit.

KewlRobD

Oct 13, 2006
I have the SGP Ultra Capsule which is slimmer than the Neo Hybrid and it will not fit.

Thanks for the response. That's unfortunate. I have been looking at the external battery charger with cradle but it doesn't charge your phone while in the cradle. Having a fully charged battery ready to go is great but I want to keep my phone charged during the work day so I can just pick up and go on a moments notice and know I have a fully charged phone.

Oh well, I guess I will jsut wait for some better products to be released.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Maybe the Samsung Note will be given a similar dock and that could work for your phone+case? It's supposed to be a larger phone than the Skyrocket, though I dunno how much larger.
The Ultra Capsule case takes microseconds to remove & put back on. So I'm pretty happy. But naturally would be happier if I could leave it on.
I may look to see if it's possible to mod the dock arms to allow for a case. Someday.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Damn, that's the best deal I've ever seen on this accessory.
These were selling for a minimum of $40 just two months ago.
I already have two. I like it so much for my Skyrocket that I think I'll grab another two. One for my bathroom (i listen to iHeart in the morning) and one for my bedroom. Heck, maybe a third for my garage. hahah.

Only downside is they don't come with the micro USB cable. So keep that in mind. You'll need one.

I would not recommend them for the Infuse though. It was a PITA to pull the Infuse out of these because it was so damn tight. It's like butter for the Skyrocket though.

Edit: Just bought another two. They already sold 40 at this price.

Last edited:

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Update: The TPU case fits in this dock (but very snug). However, the dock's micro USB plug is just a tiny bit too short to fully extend into the phone when it's wearing the TPU case. So unless you know how to extend the micro-usb plug by about ~1/8", you won't be able to charge/synch.
The SGP case does not fit at all. Or at least, it fits but pops right back out.

tempskyrocket

Nov 23, 2011
Audio out working?

Does the dock sound work for anyone? (Everyone?)

I, unfortunately, got a Galaxy SII car dock from Amazon for $30. I didn't realize it wouldn't fit the Skyrocket (it holds down the power button). I would just notch it out, but I can't get the audio out to work.

Googling around a bit I saw that earlier versions required a modded kernel to enable this. I don't think that's necessarily the problem with the Skyrocket though, since apps like "Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector" don't complain about the kernel mod not being there. I've tried on both 2.3.5, and the new 2.3.6, with a slew of programs, including the Samsung Car Home app. Nothing works.

Also, when the dock is plugged in, I hear a sound on the audio jack that sounds like the sound card is being connected when the app redirects the sound, but then no sound comes out. I'm beginning to wonder if there is actually a problem with the phone...

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
BeatMOD ROM has an audio-out dock option in system settings.
But I have no idea how to get audio output from the 3.5mm headphone jack when docked. I've tried a couple things but haven't figured it out yet.
It hasn't been a big deal because I use bluetooth audio. But it would still be nice to get that feature working.

Scythe024

Nov 14, 2011
Does the dock sound work for anyone? (Everyone?)

I, unfortunately, got a Galaxy SII car dock from Amazon for $30. I didn't realize it wouldn't fit the Skyrocket (it holds down the power button). I would just notch it out, but I can't get the audio out to work.

Googling around a bit I saw that earlier versions required a modded kernel to enable this. I don't think that's necessarily the problem with the Skyrocket though, since apps like "Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector" don't complain about the kernel mod not being there. I've tried on both 2.3.5, and the new 2.3.6, with a slew of programs, including the Samsung Car Home app. Nothing works.

Also, when the dock is plugged in, I hear a sound on the audio jack that sounds like the sound card is being connected when the app redirects the sound, but then no sound comes out. I'm beginning to wonder if there is actually a problem with the phone...

Works for me, although i used one of the stickers to keep the usb port from being able to slide back and forth freely, mostly because it helps lock it into place and too loose without it. im able to shake it around without the phone falling out

silenzzzz

Sep 18, 2010
North Louisiana
hmmm does it hold the phone at all? secure enough to use in a car without the usb plugged in? or is it being plugged in a requirement? ...

i have the mount now .. and have an infuse .. but changing to a skyrocket ... i use my car dock a LOT though since i drive about an hour and a half each day ...

-Kevlar-

Oct 26, 2010
hmmm does it hold the phone at all? secure enough to use in a car without the usb plugged in? or is it being plugged in a requirement? ...

i have the mount now .. and have an infuse .. but changing to a skyrocket ... i use my car dock a LOT though since i drive about an hour and a half each day ...

Just got it and it doesn't feel very secure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX

Yes & no.
I've used the Skyrocket naked in the Infuse dock in my SUV for the last few weeks without a single incident. But ONLY with the USB plugged in. When USB is plugged in, the phone is not going anywhere. I would not feel comfortable leaving the phone in the dock without the USB plugged in though. It needs the USB to hold it in place.

BUT, if you have a TPU case, then it fits snug in the Infuse dock when wearing the case. Very snug, two hands required for insertion + removal. But the USB would not need to be plugged in. Nor is the USB plug long enough to plug into the phone, when the phone is in the TPU case.
SGP Ultra Capsule case will not work. Nor Otterbox Impact. I haven't tried any others.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Works GREAT as a desktop dock.

It stays put on my desk. I can poke the screen all I want and it doesn't budge. I can whack the sides or top and the phone doesn't fall out.
    It's quick & easy to use one hand to put the phone in and remove it and connect it.

I just need to find a widget that allows me to turn on/off the 3.5mm headphone jack on the phone. And then this will be perfect. It synchs with your computer & charges the phone.
    There is also software that turns it into "car mode" but I didn't install that.

Get it here for $20 shipped. Mine arrived in two-days.
    Vehicle Mount - Samsung Infuse 4G - Cell Phone Accessories - from AT&T

VIDEO of me putting phone in dock, connecting the USB and then removing the phone:
    MVI 3863 - YouTube

VIDEO of me using the phone in the dock. If you see what looks like cloths hangers on the screen, that's just a reflection of what's behind me.
    MVI 3860 - YouTube

VIDEO of my "oops". Or something. O:)
    MVI 3862 - YouTube

Pic of the micro USB and 3.5mm audio output jack. You can also see the knob that tightens or loosens the swivel function.
    IMG_3847.jpg

You can see that the mount is a tiny bit big for the Skyrocket, but it's a bonus since it allows you to easily put the phone in there. But it's not loose enough that it will fall out. I use this in my car also and once the USB is plugged in, the phone is not going anywhere!
    IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

Landscape mode + cables.
    IMG_3845.jpg

I gave up on the suction cup and connected the sticky pad it comes with. Been in one spot for a couple hours now and I've banged away at it and the phone hasn't budged. It's a very solid surface when poking the screen with your fingers.
    IMG_3864.jpg

Infuse Car Dock & Heat Gun

I am not responsible for you ruining your Infuse holder!

You need to disconnect the clip from the holder first. I used a heat gun to heat up each corner on the back of the holder doing a side at the time. After warming up the plastic in the corners I popped my SkyRocket in (with gloves on) and pushed in and sideways with the USB connected engaged so it would slide freely when I was done. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO MELT IT (you need to heat up slowly with circular motion and watch for bubbling or deforming).

I use a Decal Girl on the back of my phone to protect the back and that is it. My phone pops in and I have to physically use the release tab to get my phone out of the Infuse car dock. It clips in like a glove as if it was made for the phone. I tried using it without bending the corners in and it was very iffy even with USB engaged.

If anyone is interested in seeing a video of how well it clips in and if there was any damage, I would be happy to upload some. BTW, I am hoping to try ICS to try and get the audio jack working.
    My Friend the Heat Gun

You will not believe how well my Skyrocket fits the Infuse dock after I modified it with a heat gun. It actually now clicks into the dock and even requires that you push the release tab to get it out.

Here is what I did, but I am in no way responsible for your screwing up your dock by following my instructions. I am happy to take a short video of docking and removing the Skyrocket if anyone wants to see how well it fits.

I unclipped the mount from the suction cup base. To do this it slides left and out(if you have it upside down it would be the other way, just look at the back). Then I took out a pair of rawhide gloves and a heat gun. On the low setting, from about 3-4 inches away, I heated both the back and the front the corner holding pieces at the base of where they attach. Use a circular motion so as not to melt anyone section and basically apply the heat to front for 30 seconds and then the back for 30 seconds for a total of about 3 min per corner. I heated both left corners (away from the sliding usb attachment). Then, I placed the phone in the mount, slid the USB attachment in place and using my gloved hand pushed hard on the left corners diagonally toward the center of the phone at the very top of the corners and held it that way for 5 min while the mount cooled. I proceeded to do the same with the right side corners next, but wrapped the USB attachment in aluminum foil first. Before forcing the right corners in, I took off the aluminum foil and slid the USB attachment into the mounted phone, so that I would not pinch the corners so tight that the slider would not work.

Let the holder cool for 30-60 min completely and then try clipping in your phone. If it is not snug repeat the steps and probably heat the corners a little longer. I just heated them enough to bend with a little force, but not be so loose they warped.

Good Luck!