[GAME] Wheel 0.4.3

Search This thread

RDT

Feb 22, 2008
Prague
Wheel 0.4.3

Let me introduce you my new platform game for Windows Mobile, playable at Pocket PC 2002 and above (yes, really). I’m not a big fan of apps that works on one display resolution only, so the game is screen resolution independent (you can play on QVGA or WQVGA), however it looks best on the HVGA, VGA and WVGA screens.

The most important is that you can press more than one virtual button on you classic resistive screen (as it was capacitive), which makes this type of game comfortably playable even without hardware buttons. Nice, isn’t it? :)

What is the game itself all about? You control small robotic wheel (which was actually wooden in non-public releases :D) chased by devil from outer space (or something like that) who wants your score :D (but not you life). Score is obtained by collecting yellow stars.

There are no levels, there are dimensions. In each dimension, you have to found interdimensional gateway, which takes you to the new dimension, similar to the previous one, or to completely different. Red arrow accelerates the devil (red aura), green arrow slows down him. Green sprout accelerates your wheel (blue aura), but only for limited time. Also, in the beginning of every dimension, you will get little bit of extra speed, just like when you die and are resurrected.

To save your game, use X -> SAVE. In main menu, use CG to continue.

The game is not yet entirely completed (and I’m not fully convinced if it is worth finishing since Windows Phone 7 are coming). Even so, let me know of any problems, ideas or thoughts. I don’t promise anything, but it could help to make the game better.

Note: I know it's ironic, but the multitouch effect can't work on HTC HD2 because of it's real capacitive screen.
Note 2: The game does NOT use any "multi-touch SDK", as stated here (I don't know why the author wrote it).

The game is completely free for your personal use, although it can be downloaded from the following site ONLY (I know it's annoying, but be fair and respect it):

DOWNLOAD

I hope I haven't forgotten anything and that you will enjoy the game ;).

(As you probably noticed, english is not my native language so I’m sorry if I have written anything funny :D.)

Last edited:

xeirwn

Sep 22, 2007
I tried your game on my XDA Flame (VGA with WM5).

Must say I'm impressed -especially with the multitouch. Too bad we dont see this in other games! :(

I'd like a bit faster scrolling and some in-game sound or tune..

Keep up good work plz!

RDT

Feb 22, 2008
Prague
Thank you all for your positive reactions, I am sincerely delighted and a little bit surprised :).

I know about poor graphic. I’m not very good at creating it :). If there is anyone who wants to help me, I’m enclosing the main graphics files. Transparent color is magenta (R = 255, G = 0, B = 255).

If someone creates something, post it here and I will try to build the game with it :D.

Attachments

• player.png
    player.png
    495 bytes · Views: 6,378
  • player2.png
    player2.png
    265 bytes · Views: 6,366
  • blocks.png
    blocks.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 71
  • arrow.png
    arrow.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 6,356
  • evil2.png
    evil2.png
    2 KB · Views: 6,388
  • evil1.png
    evil1.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 6,527

bugsykoosh

Jun 16, 2007
it looks great. One problem on the HD2 - since it is capacitive instead of pressing both keys you need to utilize the resisteive multitouch trick you impoy. in other words, to do multitouch on the HD2 you need to single touch between the two directions you want to go which is actually a little confusing in practice because you need to remember the variables. it does seem to be pretty nice otherwise.

ephestione

Mar 23, 2008
Rome
www.ephestione.it
Very, very strong arcade feeling ;)
Graphics may not be top notch, but it fits perfectly with the kind of game, my only glitch is that, no matter my HD2 being obviously multitouch capable, I still cannot press two buttons at the same time... maybe it's because I have LMT installed which "steals" multitouch from the game?

@bugsykoosh
just read your post, nevermind :) I can play by pressing the middle area, yes it is somehow harder to get the hang of it,m but after that, it kicks in my genetic adversity for arcade games, I die no matter what :D

Last edited:

RDT

Feb 22, 2008
Prague
Thanks for testing on HD2. I don't know why I didn't get i sooner, but it naturally can't work on real capacitive screen of HD2. I'll add it into the first post...

janneman22

Jan 21, 2009
Sommelsdijk
Thank you all for your positive reactions, I am sincerely delighted and a little bit surprised :).

I know about poor graphic. I’m not very good at creating it :). If there is anyone who wants to help me, I’m enclosing the main graphics files. Transparent color is magenta (R = 255, G = 0, B = 255).

If someone creates something, post it here and I will try to build the game with it :D.

i could give it a try.
But first i will play your game :)

michoob

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 19, 2008
Brussels
Thanks!

Thank you very much for your game, RDT!

It is really the kind of games I like to have on my Touch HD: simple but addictive!

I've created a post for your game on a french website by translating your post to french.
I've respected your choice not to create any mirror download link, and people will have to download it from your website.

Again, thank you very much!

RDT

Feb 22, 2008
Prague
You're probably in the last dimension, the hardest one :). I created a video showing how to complete it ;).

2 michoob: Thanks for writing about my game, I really appreciate it :).

janneman22

Jan 21, 2009
Sommelsdijk
i guess you have to think about a good story of this game. For example: a little dragon that tries to escape from his bad father or something like that. Make a nice story, and that will be the begin of a nice game:)

Last edited:

akshay2000

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 24, 2009
Kanpur
indestructible.in
But, when you say I can tap onm two places, do you really mean it? I mean, I am using it on HTC Gene as well as HD2. Double touch not working on HD2 is fine. But I can't make two touches on my Gene too. What's wrong?