How to Change The Resolution of Your Phone / A Must if You Have Root!

Search This thread

fenixjn

Jul 21, 2009
Working fine on Calkulin's 2.6.1. Yes replacing the launcher and dialer are a must to keep them looking properly.

eman3316@optonline.net

Jun 23, 2007
Here is what it looks like at 160 if you want to truly replicate ICS like on the galaxy Nexus at 720p. Obviously running it like stock at 240 just does not do it...

Using Go Launcher with a 6x5 screen.

AestenD

Nov 3, 2011
Somewhere in Utah
I use go launcher, go calendar (widget), go contacts for dialer, go locker, and a dpi,of 160. I set go launcher for 6x6 home and app drawer... Looks awesome

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
I changed my settings to 160 and 6X5 with ADW ex and using the HDPI icons option... But it just doesn't look right like yours does... Anyone know if this are other ADW settings to make this look better? Mine still looks like the icons are too small... Is it just me? Do I just need to get used to it?

Here is what it looks like at 160 if you want to truly replicate ICS like on the galaxy Nexus at 720p. Obviously running it like stock at 240 just does not do it...

Using Go Launcher with a 6x5 screen.

eman3316@optonline.net

Jun 23, 2007
In ADW there should be settings to change the size of the icons. I do find that go launcher ex looks pretty nice once you change the icons to large.

Maybe try Go Launcher Ex, it is free and does everything that ADW does.

steindog99

Aug 28, 2008
Janesville
Has anyone found a way for the AOSP email to not look like a shrunken midget, or found a good alternative? Does the stock TW email client scale properly at 160?

dzags

Mar 2, 2009
So running at 200, i use exdialer which works great, but when I am actually in a call the old dialer shows up. Any way to fix that?

iivisionii

Apr 30, 2010
Has anyone noticed that on 160 the device can be a slight less responsive? (eg moving from screen to screen), just barely but not much. On 200 it's nearly 100% and on default its perfect.

fenixjn

Jul 21, 2009
Has anyone noticed that on 160 the device can be a slight less responsive? (eg moving from screen to screen), just barely but not much. On 200 it's nearly 100% and on default its perfect.

Yes, same here, at 160 it takes 2 or 3 swipes to take off the lock screen, launching apps needs me to either tap twice or hold the tap a bit longer. Back to 240...

SpunkyXL

Jul 23, 2007
Yes, same here, at 160 it takes 2 or 3 swipes to take off the lock screen, launching apps needs me to either tap twice or hold the tap a bit longer. Back to 240...

ya, same with me..I just set it to 210, and no issues. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. But the screen is SO much better with this app!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So it has been mentioned throughout a lot of threads but I figured I would give a step by step and overview for the people who do not know about this or are unsure what it means and does. You must be rooted to use this.

When you compare our phones to a phone that has a qHD display you will see that the qHD display will have smaller text and will allow you to view more on the screen at one time then our WVGA screen allows. Well this is how you can even the playing field and view your phone like it was a qHD or even a 720p screen.

No more super large text like your phone was built for the blind. Also, a great feature if you use an alternate launcher you can set the screen to 5x5 or even 6x6 depending on the resolution you pick.

You will need the 2 apps from below.

First you need to install busybox. Download the app and then open it. From there it will ask you to install. Just choose okay for all the defaults and don't change anything.
    https://market.android.com/details?...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInN0ZXJpY3Nvbi5idXN5Ym94Il0.

Next app is lcd resolution. This is where you change the resolution.
    https://market.android.com/details?...NvbS53ZW1vYnMuYW5kcm9pZC5sY2RyZXNvbHV0aW9uIl0.

There are 2 settings I use, 200 which is almost identical to qhd. qHD is 960x540 and the app allows you to set it at 960x576. You can also set it at 160 which is 720p. You can use all the settings in-between as well but I stick to these 2. You can do your own testing and see what works best for you. Make sure when testing that you do not click save on boot in case your Rom does not play nice with that resolution. I have found that 200 works almost everything but 160 can be a little more tricky, especially with certain themes. You top bar will be all blurry. A reset will put you back to stock if your Rom does not like the resolution as long as you did not click set on boot.

By doing this hack, TW launcher will not play nice so you must use an alternative. All other launchers will work. The stock dialer will also not work. You can use Go contacts, dialer one or Ex Dialer. They all look and function great. You will also need an alternate calendar and calculator app. Their are a ton to choose from.

When setting your system to 200, you might encounter an error message saying certain apps are not compatible with your phone in the market. This is because this setting while close to qhd is not exactly the same resolution so the market app does not think is is compatible as it is not a standard resolution. There are 2 ways around this. You can install the app through Amazon market as it does not know the resolution you are running on your phone or you can switch back to stock (240) then clear market data and you can download the app. Then switch back to 200. This won't happen with every app as a lot will still download when st to 200.

When running at 160 (720p) you will not have this issue in the market as this is a native resolution of Android and is recognized by every app.

I think that covers it all for now and I cannot imagine going back to a WVGA resolution as it looks sooooooo much better running at a near qhd res.

Below are 2 picks showing the difference. One is stock, one is set to 200 (qhd) and the other to 160 (720p).

Stock (240)

qHD (200)

720p (160)
    If anyone tries it, please report back and I will update the OP if it works succesfully.

https://market.android.com/details?...wyLDEsImNvbS5iaXJkYXBpLmFuZHJvaWQuZHBpcHJvIl0.

Works perfectly! I tested 180DPI with the quick test mode, hot reboot and no permanent changes. Test ran fine so I set the phone to 180DPI and did a full reboot, this also worked, but I did see some force closes. Once the phone rebooted a few times, the force closes stopped and the extra screen space was nice.

I then set the market fix for 240DPI and confirmed I was able to update apps. I just downloaded Opera Mini and installed without error on 180DPI setting. So it looks like $3 well spent and a nice compromise between changed DPI and a working market.
    I am confused, if the resolution can be improved via software, then how come the manufacturers are not doing it, what is the catch?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Anybody confirm this to work on the Evo 3d? I would root it for this if it was confirmed

Adjusting the density will work on any Android device. I don't know how far back the current density syntax goes but I doubt there are that many eclair (or older) devices out there....

The "720p" setting would likely be a tad more precise on an Evo3D with it's (horrible and upsetting) 16:9 ratio.

Just, please, understand that this doesn't actually change your resolution. If you haven't already read back a page or two for details.
    I want to start of by saying i love this it makes my phone that much more amazing. But i do miss touchwiz. So i was doing some digging and found

This

Im curious if someone could tell me if this launcher would work on our phone?
    Thanks! Also forgive me if this is a stupid question im unsure how different the launcher would be between ours and the GSM version of the phone im thinking there should be none.

Ok i tested this and it works perfectly so im now running Touch Wiz at 160dpi. Just go down to the 3rd post download the .zip for 160dpi and flash it through your recovery and enjoy the awesomeness!!! Obviously do a backup first but ive had no problems. Some widgets are funny but you can resize them via the instructions in the original post, Huge props to petsasj Make sure to give him a thanks!