Htc Universal Memory Upgrade.

Search This thread

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
The price, well, in the pervious postings someone said the chips cost 50pounds so thats about USD$100, give and take a little so the service charge costed USD$145? A little on the higher side, but if they included shipping back, reflashing and testing it. Sounds somewhat reasonable.

The problem is that currently no other phone is a clamshell/laptop type... The only ones in the market or have been in the market recently are :

Sony Clie UX50 (Palm OS)
Sharp Zaurus CL-S3200 (Linux)
HTC Universal (WM5)

The Clie does not have 3G features, the battery life is too short has too little built in ram. 8mb....
The Zaurus does not have 3G, wifi or Bluetooth features unless you can get yourself a CF HSDPA card. And also its in Japan means reflashing, buying a data plan, getting CF wifi and bluetooth modules and etc. But it does have a inbuilt HDD.
The Universal has good battery life, has 3G but the RAM goes a little short for me.

I think there was a slight mistake on the site... It should be G3 or G4 and not 3G or 4G.

Forgot how to check which version mine was...
When rebooting, it says
R 1.09.00
G 42.42.P8
D 1.30.77 WWE

Is that a G3 or G4?

Last edited:
Forgot how to check which version mine was...
When rebooting, it says
R 1.09.00
G 42.42.P8
D 1.30.77 WWE

Is that a G3 or G4?

Hold power+backlight while pressing stylus into reset hole. When bootloader comes up look at version number. 1.xx=G3, 2.xx=G4

When finished, soft reset again and you get back to normal.

Asukal

$245 for the total upgrade, $110 for the chips alone? Don't you guys think it's a bit pricey? Will it take much time and major efforts for someone with skills to do this? I don't have a clue how much the chips would cost from other sources, but $245 for the total upgrade (exclusive of postage) could get you a new phone. Wait a bit longer and any 128mb Windows Mobile device would become cheaper.

I belive the price quoted is US Dollar, not Hong Kong Dollar, though.

hi, i asked them about the price. they said it was included freight of sending back to guys,<one fixed freight to send back any where in the world>

Do you suggest the freight should be depend on destination?
i will ask them if guys think so/

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
I don't know about the exact pricing for the materials but if its :
USD$100 for the chips
USD$100 for workmanship
USD$45 for shipping back with tracking and express service
Its a little difficult to see anyway of cutting back on the price.

I think most of our problems are that we can't or don't know how to solder the thing properly. ( I can't even solder a LED to a circuit board properly... )

Currently I can get a Dopod U1000 for around USD$850 and that comes with everything I want in a PDA other than its not a Clamshell... ( A convertible usage mode and a attached thumbpad is VERY important for me )

So in my view, $150~$200 seem like a more reasonable pricing for a professional service minus the shipping. Let the client choose his own way of shipping the unit back to him.

Back in my days of selling on eBay, I offered different cost on separate regions. ( USA, Europe, Asia, Australia ) and after that depending on the method of shipping, ( Normal Document Mail, Registered Document Mail, Express Courier Service )

renhui

Nov 23, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
Seems like here in China it's much much cheaper.
The chips only cost less than 20 dollars per pair. And there is a guy who offered soldering plus chips for 40 dollars including domestic postage.

more than 200 dollars for 128MB on universal is unacceptable to me.

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
USD$60 to solder, service, clean, reflash? thats quite a deal he is offering!
Shipping should cost no more than USD$40 per instance if we are using th express courier service.

Where is this guy? Has he successfuly done these operations before?

King of Rapture™

Jan 27, 2007
Sultanate of Oman
USD$60 to solder, service, clean, reflash? thats quite a deal he is offering!

Shipping should cost no more than USD$40 per instance if we are using th express courier service.

Where is this guy? Has he successfuly done these operations before?

Hi there,

You are right, the USD$60 includes the price of pair of chips, which alone are for less than USD$20!

Wonder why the other guy is charging USD$110 for the pair of chips!

Best Regards,

KOR!

Asukal

Hi there,

You are right, the USD$60 includes the price of pair of chips, which alone are for less than USD$20!

Wonder why the other guy is charging USD$110 for the pair of chips!

Best Regards,

KOR!

i think they are buying chips from China, selected one by one.
China Chips in bulk package are a lot of Defected one from Factories,

And also The China Custom is very troubles, some times unfair Tax for us.
this is my experience of my 8years life & Business in china.

i suggest if some body manage this in china,
Guys like this way can buy from china.
And also guys like safety way, and Rich :p, can buy from HK,

Consider the Quality, and the Safety. they can decide themselves

Guys can select the way they like.

i already success from HK.
<soldered 2 years ago as soon as i got Universal, then just have been waiting for this momemt 2years, finaly can use 128MB becoze of Mr,mamaich , thanks for his miracle!:D)

Last edited:

nyok80

May 22, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys,

Does anyone or anybody selling HTC Universal+memory upgrade 128mb?? If yes how much will it cost? I've just sold mine and bought a kaiser but really miss my universal. Thank you.

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
Lets see :

Using hair as Soy Sauce
Used Lead in children's toys
Took used condoms as recycled rubber for hair bands...
There was another incident about baby milk powder that killed a number of infants...

I prefer to be on the safe side, but $110 is a little steep. But if the quality of the service and hardware is good and reliable, maybe its worth it?

They have also emailed me about setting up differnt pricing for different regions :) So maybe the price will get modified soon? :)

mctoey

Jan 2, 2007
St. Andrews
An opportunity for a more competitive price?

An opportunity for more competitive prices? Anyone else willing to offer the service? Take that the 2xchips cost USD$50-100, I don't get the USD$100-150 service. This only buys 128MB of ram to the old Universal, just to extend its usage life, not a major update. ROMS is still 128MB, an ageing hardware with other dated technologies--USB1,1; Wifi 802,11b; slow SD Card reading/writing speed; mediocure battery life; no GPS; etc, and "no customer support from the HTC!"

It should be far more cost-effective if anyone would offer this service locally, and don't have to ship the phone across the world. As for me, I am UK-based. Anyone?

I am using g4. Think the g4 rom is coming, too. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=347551)

Last edited:

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
We must remember that the workmanship ( labour charges ) needs to be paid as well. But well lets wait for their price revision before we see. What about the other guy in china that could provide this as well? Anyone got his website or contacts?

They also reedited the info for the shipping. now its USd$198 for the service and then X for the shipping. To Singapore its USD$20 and USD$30 to USA.
http://octomobile.isl.hk/index.php?...ducts_id=299&zenid=jcg354g8muo3bn98qkgdbginc1

I know that some of you may think that I might as well sell my universal and top-up that extra USD$200 for a new device, but currently I can't find anything to replace it. the only thing good about the new models are that some have higher ROM and RAM. Its a pity that the Athena is not a clamshell.

Last edited:

Asukal

Lets see :

Using hair as Soy Sauce
Used Lead in children's toys
Took used condoms as recycled rubber for hair bands...
There was another incident about baby milk powder that killed a number of infants...

I prefer to be on the safe side, but $110 is a little steep. But if the quality of the service and hardware is good and reliable, maybe its worth it?

They have also emailed me about setting up differnt pricing for different regions :) So maybe the price will get modified soon? :)

thanks for your covering fire for my friends, Waiyaki,
but pls dont say bad things too much about China here. :p
I am afraid the war cozed by nationalism will be started here again,,,,,,,,,,,

This is just one of choice for you,But not all you can do.

If you need more cheaper, you can find the resource by yourself,
Example, you can send PM to the guy who is saying Chinese Prices,
then ask him to help. just example way.

Lets enjoy XDA-Developers com :p

Last edited:

waiyaki

Nov 19, 2007
www.galacnet.com
I am trying to be constructive here. That's what this public forum is for.

Its always good to have alternative opinions on stuff, and your contribution is very much appreciated. If there aren't any conflicting view points then this will be a "yes-man" forum.

Now what we need are people who have sent their units to these service providers and come up with a review on how the service was.

Asukal said:
but pls dont say bad things too much about China here.
I am afraid the war cozed by nationalism will be started here again,,,,,,,,,,,

:p

But anyway those 2 things aside, I was wondering some stuff since the RAM upgrade is now possible and a commercial service.

A problem I used to face was that I installed most programs on the SD card which was problematic when the unit went into suspension and cuts power to the slot making some of my programs giving a slight delay lag when it power up again.

Don't know if its technically possible, but can rom or a non-suspended type of memory be modded into the system? Something like a flash type of HDD?

King of Rapture™

Jan 27, 2007
Sultanate of Oman
The price, well, in the pervious postings someone said the chips cost 50pounds so thats about USD$100, give and take a little so....

The previous post is mentioning the total cost!

Anyone who wants their phone upgraded to 128MB can buy the chips from XL Electronics. Then to get them soldered you can have a chat to Joe Tumilty at www.retronix.com (01236) 433345 who will give you a quote per device. Total cost should be around £50...

KOR!

mctoey

Jan 2, 2007
St. Andrews
Originally Posted by wtpelzer

Anyone who wants their phone upgraded to 128MB can buy the chips from XL Electronics. Then to get them soldered you can have a chat to Joe Tumilty at www.retronix.com (01236) 433345 who will give you a quote per device. Total cost should be around £50...

KOR!

Thank you very much for your information. I google searched the XL Electronics and it returns a site with Polish domain and written in Polish language. Is this the company you referred to?

Regards.

Last edited: