Rooted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Dirrk

Sep 14, 2007
All credit goes to the orig guy who made the d2 exploit
If you feel the need to donate money then he deserves it 7-4-3-C@web.de

I made an easier to follow tutorial over here with pics. Sorry but I am tired of going back and forth so just go there if you are having problems. If you can follow simple adb commands just follow the directions below

Download and Install Samsung Drivers
64bit:
http://www.wikifilez.com/root files/epic4g/usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip

32bit:
http://www.wikifilez.com/root files/epic4g/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.exe

1 Click Root Method
http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/33899-how-root.html

Manual Method

cd C:\android-sdk\tools

adb push C:\fascinate\su /sdcard/su
adb push C:\fascinate\rage.bin /data/local/tmp/rage.bin
adb push C:\fascinate\busybox /sdcard/busybox

adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 0755 rage.bin
./rage.bin

wait....
when it brings you back to your original shell in windows then follow these commands

adb shell (you should see # this time instead of $ this is exactly what we want)

mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system

cd /system/xbin
cat /sdcard/su > su
cat /sdcard/busybox > busybox
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox

exit

adb install C:\fascinate\Superuser.apk

This is permanent.

I just updated the files here with the latest su / superuser.apk / busybox

Also check out my tutorial to fix the memory/lag issues for this phone
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=8086738#post8086738

Attachments

• fascinate.rar
    995.8 KB · Views: 5,473
Last edited:
Reactions: obededom

fallingup

Mar 21, 2006
New Mexico
All credit goes to the orig guy who made the d2 exploit
I feel naked without my droid lol this phone is so light

adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push rage.bin /data/local/tmp/rage.bin
adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox

adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod 0755 rage.bin
./rage.bin

wait....
when it brings you back to your original shell or windows cmd promt

adb shell

mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system

cd /system/xbin
cat /sdcard/su > .
cat /scard/busybox > .
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox

exit

adb install Superuser.apk

Please let me know if I posted something wrong.

does it stick after reboot?

bubby323

Jul 31, 2010
Michigan City, IN
This works on any android phone up to 2.2. I have confirmed this works on my epic, so th same sould work here.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.sunny16.org
confirmed root.

Had to use Superuser.apk 2.3.6.1 and the su binary in the package, but the rest worked.. except for that cat command? Why would you cat binary files instead of copying them? (not complaining, just curious). I just adb pushed them to /system/xbin, and adb shell chmod'd them.

You also have a typo near the end "scard" instead of "sdcard".

Dirrk

Sep 14, 2007
You can also use mv or cp. I just happen to use cat because I used it the other day rooting my friends stock 2.2 droid. Which required me to use cat.

And yes this is permanent

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.sunny16.org
Cool, i tried using rm -rf to get rid of a directory I created accidentally, and was getting some syntax errors, so I wasn't sure how compatibile the command line on android was to linux.

Glad it's pretty close. Being very familiar with linux makes this pretty easy to understand. Day 1 with an android device was pretty darn fun. I think I'm glad I went this direction. :)

cliffr39

Mar 28, 2006
I just followed this and used the same files I had from my Droid 2 (just updated the Superuser.apk from this sites thread for it) and works perfectly. Rebooted phone did "adb shell" and "su" and still have root, so it is permanent

side note: steps say "/system/xbin" and assume you meant "/system/bin" like Droid 2 was. That's where I put them and it worked.

Dirrk

Sep 14, 2007
I just followed this and used the same files I had from my Droid 2 (just updated the Superuser.apk from this sites thread for it) and works perfectly. Rebooted phone did "adb shell" and "su" and still have root, so it is permanent

side note: steps say "/system/xbin" and assume you meant "/system/bin" like Droid 2 was. That's where I put them and it worked.

It works either way, both are executable system folders. Glad you it worked for you, hopefully we can get some roms cooking soon and play catch up to the other galaxy s phones

xirnibor

Oct 22, 2009
doesnt work for me, i get an error device not found

ive type adb devices - device not found. usb debugging on, usb conneced on port 5037

xirnibor

Oct 22, 2009
i forgot this laptop didnt have the updated usb drivers from android sdk, downloading then will try again. i have tried so far with the sdcard mounted and unmounted, while in usb debugging mode. will post after updates

xirnibor

Oct 22, 2009
ok, adb recognizes the device *see below, however when i type adb push su /sdcard/su i get cannot stat 'su': no such file or directory. ?

C:\downloads\android\android\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
I500a2d0087a device

itznfb

Sep 10, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I dunno, ~20-30 seconds? Assuming sound is enabled you should hear the same USB device connected/disconnected sounds.

If you want to be 100% sure just wait like 90 seconds. I'm pretty sure it killed my shell though, so if it does that, you're good to go.

ok... running the rage.bin locked up my device twice but on the third try it worked. another fascinate rooted :)

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.sunny16.org
ok, adb recognizes the device *see below, however when i type adb push su /sdcard/su i get cannot stat 'su': no such file or directory. ?

C:\downloads\android\android\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
I500a2d0087a device

su is a file (for our purposes right here, anyway). Unless you explicity specify its path, it needs to be in the same directory you're running the adb command from.

If you installed the Android SDK per guidelines, adb should be in your PATH environment variable, and you should be able to execute it from any directory. If you didn't do that, then for the sake of simplicity, copy all the files referenced in the original steps to your working directory. From your post above, it appears that is c:\downloads\android\android\tools\

GHII

Dec 5, 2008
Yuma
I got stuck at cat /sdcard/su > . Is that supposed to be > .? It won't let me enter that...There's not something else that's supposed to be there?

EDIT: I get the same error faspalma

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts