Netflix HD not working after OTA?

Search This thread

CampGareth

Oct 16, 2010
*edit for those of you joining late* The issue is getting a netflix HD stream to the internal display. Currently we get SD streams unless we use external displays.

After the latest OTA update we were supposed to gain access to 1080p Netflix streaming right? Well, how exactly do we get that? I've been monitoring bandwidth and my TN7 while streaming still only uses about 1mbit/s which is definitely not a 1080p stream, but is also indicative of the tablet not even trying higher quality streams. I'm using the stock Netflix app, along with openvpn connect (the other end of the VPN is a gigabit box in the US and is definitely capable of that speed reliably), my local connection is 70mbit down reliably and my wifi AP is an Asus RT-N66U a few feet away.

I've gone and cleared the Netflix app's data but that doesn't seem to have fixed it, any thoughts on what else I can try?

Last edited:

ckavvouras

Sep 12, 2012
Montreal
After the latest OTA update we were supposed to gain access to 1080p Netflix streaming right? Well, how exactly do we get that? I've been monitoring bandwidth and my TN7 while streaming still only uses about 1mbit/s which is definitely not a 1080p stream, but is also indicative of the tablet not even trying higher quality streams. I'm using the stock Netflix app, along with openvpn connect (the other end of the VPN is a gigabit box in the US and is definitely capable of that speed reliably), my local connection is 70mbit down reliably and my wifi AP is an Asus RT-N66U a few feet away.

I've gone and cleared the Netflix app's data but that doesn't seem to have fixed it, any thoughts on what else I can try?

1080p output is only for when you have it outputing from hdmi to your tv, the tablet is only 720 so it makes sense it wouldn't try to download a bigger stream then needed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CampGareth

Oct 16, 2010
1080p output is only for when you have it outputing from hdmi to your tv, the tablet is only 720 so it makes sense it wouldn't try to download a bigger stream then needed

While that's true, there's a heckuva difference between the SD streams and any HD stream. As far as I can tell the tablet tops out at what would be low quality SD on a desktop, even on the built in screen it's possible to see more detail than we're getting. (Note identified streams are mobile, low quality SD, high quality SD, and HD).

Anyway, any thoughts on getting a HD stream to the internal display?

ckavvouras

Sep 12, 2012
Montreal
While that's true, there's a heckuva difference between the SD streams and any HD stream. As far as I can tell the tablet tops out at what would be low quality SD on a desktop, even on the built in screen it's possible to see more detail than we're getting. (Note identified streams are mobile, low quality SD, high quality SD, and HD).

Anyway, any thoughts on getting a HD stream to the internal display?

I'm fairly certain that I'm getting 720 on my tablet, the image is clean and detailed, maybe your problem is with your router or your internet connection. I tried to capture it but for some reason it keeps telling me sd card is in use.

CampGareth

Oct 16, 2010
I'm fairly certain that I'm getting 720 on my tablet, the image is clean and detailed, maybe your problem is with your router or your internet connection. I tried to capture it but for some reason it keeps telling me sd card is in use.

Mmhmm, I've gone ahead and done some bandwidth monitoring, see the screenshots attached. While watching the avengers with HD streams turned on average usage is 4-6mbps, with SD only it's about 3-4mbps, with the tablet in use and left to stream for a few minutes it's more like 1-2mbps. The desktop I'm using is wired, the tablet is connected to the same switch/AP the desktop is using (asus rt-n66u, 3 feet away through a table).

The CPU load is probably worth testing since the desktop has far more power for openvpn and such, 2.6 or so staring at the netflix home screen, 3.5-4 with a stream going, given the number of cores that's still a little lower than full load.

So, yeah, still not sure what the cause is, doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere...

http://imgur.com/a/FfN3C#0 *edit* I trust vnstat running on the VPN endpoint itself far more than I trust pfsense, so much stuff could be interfering there

Last edited:

ckavvouras

Sep 12, 2012
Montreal
Well how much bandwidth your using on pc vs tablet won't tell you much imo, both use different types of compression to stream that why you might be having varying results. I personally know that I'm at least getting 720p in my tablet, maybe there is a way to force it to stream at a higher resolution but I don't know of it.