[MOD / HACK] - Fully enable native wifi hotspot AND native Bluetooth tethering

Search This thread

bracketologist

Jul 4, 2010
I don't know for sure, because I haven't tried it, but it may depend on how you do the USB tethering. ClockworkMod Tether claims to be undetectable and I haven't heard of anybody getting caught while using it. On the other hand, lots of people have gotten caught using wireless tethering.

What app were you using when you got caught?

This didn't happen on the GS3 but while I was using my previous phone, the HTC Incredible S. I was using the stock Android tethering feature via the stock unbranded WWE rom. I did this last year some time after AT&T announced that they were going to "crack down" on people who tether without the proper data plan.

Thanks for the info about the ClockworkMod Tether app. I'll have to take a look at it to see if it's something I could use and avoid detection.

Mordred69

Jun 20, 2011
San Juan, PR
www.hammedsilva.com
When I started rooting my HTC EVO, I used a few apps like Barnacle and Junefabrics' PdaNet...

wouldn't these kind of apps work, as they sent the data from an app INSIDE the phone to another one installed on the PC?

------- EDIT------------

Would android-wifi-tether tell on us AT&T users, even if we do NOT go over our data plan, or will we be receiving the AT&T letter to upgrade? Could this be the replacement for this hack?

Here's the link just in case: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
Download the APK in case they take it out of the Play Store (it's still there, BTW)

</HTH>

Last edited:

sentry07

Aug 13, 2007
Would this work after a rooted update to ATT I747UCALG1? Can I install this on top of UCALG1?

Last edited:

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
Change the entitle apn to use pta instead of broadband. That way it uses the same connection as device data.

Are you saying that changing the APN to PTA will avoid detection? If AT&T is examining TTL to detect tethering, I don't think that changing the APN will make any difference. Has anybody tested and proven that changing the APN to PTA will work, or is that just a theory?

tefloncoated

Dec 13, 2011
NYC
5) Rename the current framework-res.apk in this folder to framework-res.apk.bak and quickly paste the framework-res.apk you have copied in step 2 (this must be done QUICKLY as you will get tons of force closes making your device unusbale so copy the framework-res.apk file BEFORE you rename the current file so you will be ready to simply paste the new file right after you rename the current file)
If your device does not boot after changing the file, you have done something wrong (probably not copying the new framework file fast enough). restore from a nandroid backup and you should be fine

This happened to me... I didnt paste it quick enough, then got all the FCs and after a restart now my S3 is stuck on the Samsung boot logo.

I had a nandroid back up but i moved to the exSdCard so now when i reboot into recovery, CWM (touch) it doesnt see it anymore...

I tried using ODIN to flash the boot-stock-att-sgh-i747.tar (small file to recover from a brick) and tried the large file stock_root67.tar. No luck, device still hangs at boot logo. I cant even get into Recovery mode anymore, only into Download mode...

Any ideas or suggestions?

OK i flashed a stock image from this thread xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426 via Odin and then was able to restore the whole thing. whew!

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefan03

bonefan03

Jun 30, 2010
This happened to me... I didnt paste it quick enough, then got all the FCs and after a restart now my S3 is stuck on the Samsung boot logo.

I had a nandroid back up but i moved to the exSdCard so now when i reboot into recovery, CWM (touch) it doesnt see it anymore...

I tried using ODIN to flash the boot-stock-att-sgh-i747.tar (small file to recover from a brick) and tried the large file stock_root67.tar. No luck, device still hangs at boot logo. I cant even get into Recovery mode anymore, only into Download mode...

Any ideas or suggestions?

OK i flashed a stock image from this thread xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426 via Odin and then was able to restore the whole thing. whew!

Thanks for the heads up, will help if anyone needs this info

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
Can you do one with just the tether mod? Highly appreciated.

I did one with the cell standby fix and the tether mod, but no autobrightness level increase. You can find it at the bottom of this post.

I assumed you wanted the cell standby fix as well as the tether mod. If you want just the tether mod only, let me know. (I can't see why you wouldn't also want the cell standby fix, though.)

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
Are you saying that changing the APN to PTA will avoid detection? If AT&T is examining TTL to detect tethering, I don't think that changing the APN will make any difference. Has anybody tested and proven that changing the APN to PTA will work, or is that just a theory?

I am saying that the tethering uses a different apn. it uses the broadband apn named Entitlement. Using the PTA apn in conjunction with moderate use has worked for me over the last several years.

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA
I am saying that the tethering uses a different apn. it uses the broadband apn named Entitlement. Using the PTA apn in conjunction with moderate use has worked for me over the last several years.

How do you change the APN? Is this a framework modification? Or do we just create a new APN called "Entitlement" with the same settings as the PTA APN?

Krynn!

Jul 20, 2010
How do you change the APN? Is this a framework modification? Or do we just create a new APN called "Entitlement" with the same settings as the PTA APN?

On Motorola and HTC devices, this is done in one of the database files. The trick is finding out exactly where to make the change. I'd love to know, as I'd prefer to make the change there rather than in the framework.

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit
Can you apply your patches to UCALG1 framework-res.apk

Can you apply your patches to UCALG1 framework-res.apk?

I tried and applied, but failed to apktool back to apk - aapt errors, and failure at the end.

It's just 2 files which need to change: res\values\arrays.xml and res\xml\power_profile.xml

I get "cannot run aapt" error and no other clues.

Nevermind - finally was able to compile with apktool 1.4.3

Last edited:

xEVILFREDx

Jan 13, 2011
NY
Has anyone tested this mod on Wanamlite ver 1.2 ?

I just trying to understands the whole mod thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

tjb433

Mar 16, 2011

I had this mod on rooted stock rom, then flashed wanamlite 1.2 and tethering works perfectly, not sure if the mod stuck around or if wanamelite has it included, but it works well.

drothenberger

Feb 2, 2011
Kenmore, WA

This modification changes /system/framework/framework-res.apk. This file is core part of the ROM, so you can only a mod that was built specifically for your ROM. Most custom ROMs have this mod included, so there is no need to apply the mod if you're on a custom ROM. In fact, doing so is likely to remove features from the custom ROM or perhaps even break it.

Reactions: tjb433

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credits of this hack goes to electron73 from THIS post.
    Thanks to DrDrrae for the CWM zip

This will remove all entitlement checks on the native wifi hotspot app and will enable the native Bluetooth tethering option which was removed by at&t.

*** I take no responsibility if this process bricks your device. please read the process CAREFULLY before attempting this***

***THIS IS ONLY FOR I747UCALEM BUILD. THIS WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER BUILD AND WILL PREVENT YOUR DEVICE FROM BOOTING***

This process will prevent your device from booting if something goes wrong. Please make sure you do a nandroid backup BEFORE you do this. If you get stuck you will be able to restore.

What you need:

1) rooted device on the UCALEM build.
    2) CWM installed
    3) The below CWM flashable zip

How to install:

1) Do a nandroid backup - this is a must as we don't have an ODIN restore yet.
    2) Download the below modified flashable zip and place it on your internal SD.
    3) Reboot into recovery and flash the zip file
    4) Done
    5) You might need to re-login to your google account after doing this,

If your device does not boot after changing the file, restore from a nandroid backup and you should be fine.

LINK to CWM flashable zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?z198wxjqhexqqhy
    NEW: Link to CWM flashable zip with Cell standby fix: http://www.mediafire.com/?vsepya1lkgud8nt

Enjoy!
    Is there a hack version available for MJB?

I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.

Feel free to download it and try. However, to be safe, make a copy of the "Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip" and change the name to something like "orig_no_tether.zip". Open this new zip and replace the framework-res.apk in the zip with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device. Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Flash the Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip and see if it works. If you have problems, you can always reboot to recovery and install the orig_no_tether.zip you created to restore your system to the way it was.

Link: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98345983/CM9%20for%20HP%20TouchPad%204G/Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip"

Respond back here to let others know if it worked for you.
    Cell Standby fix

Need a version with the cell standby fix also rolled in. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I added the cell-standby fix MOD from here to the cwm flashable zip file that OP had created. Download the new CWM flashable zip from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vsepya1lkgud8nt
    Android 4.4.2 Update

I created a new recovery installable patch to enable WiFi tethering for the the AT&T Galaxy S3 with the stock i747UCUFNE4 rom; it should work on any stock FNE4 Rom. Bluetooth tethering may also work with this patch, but I am not sure for all cases. This patch updates 'framework-res.apk' in your /system/framework folder.

As before, I recommend creating a backup patch using your original framework-res.apk. Make a copy of the patch file "Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip" and change the name to something like "Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip". Open this new zip (using Win-Zip or 7-zip) and replace 'framework-res.apk' with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device.

Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Re-boot to recovery, flash Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip, re-boot, and verify that it works. If you have problems, you can always restore your system by rebooting to recovery and installing the Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip.

Link: Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip