Any waterproof case for the Nexus 4 using wireless charging?

Search This thread

oscar7601

Feb 10, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a Nexus 4, probably just like you all who read my right now. :laugh:

I'm really turned off by the prices at which all the motorcycle GPS are sold (they're waterproof) (ie : Tomtom Rider)

So I just thought to myself as you would expect "hey why wouldn't I use my Nexus 4 running Waze?!". Still there's the water(un)proofness of the device which makes me want to find a way to use it anyway.

There sure are some cases that are supposedly waterproof like the "ram mount aqua box 20". Yet, if i'm planning on a long ride, i'm really going to need to charge my phone. And the problem is that i'll have to open the case a little to let the cable in to charge (and I am now assuming that there is enough space to connect the cable at the bottom and close the case just around the wire... which is unlikely to be so.)

So I just thought to myself again "hey! why is it they haven't thought about a wireless charging, waterproof case?!"

That would solve the whole problem!

Has any of you lot ever heard about any such accessory for phones (even if not for the Nexus 4)? :D

(Oh and I'm really sorry about any english flaws you encountered in this message, I'm not an english native speaker. ;) )

EDIT : For those who would have not got my point, this is what it could look like :

numari10.jpg

Last edited:

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
What problem??? Nexus 4 has qi wireless charging built in...why does the case need it, too? Just get any case, snap it on, and wireless charging should still work. If not, return the case and complain that it keeps wireless charging from working. But I can't honestly imagine a single case in existence doing this.

Know how I waterproof my phone?? A ziplock bag.

oscar7601

Feb 10, 2013
What problem??? Nexus 4 has qi wireless charging built in...why does the case need it, too? Just get any case, snap it on, and wireless charging should still work. If not, return the case and complain that it keeps wireless charging from working. But I can't honestly imagine a single case in existence doing this.

Know how I waterproof my phone?? A ziplock bag.

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I think you misunderstood what I was thinking of though. ;)

I know that the Nexus 4 can be charged by Qi. But as far as I can tell, there are absolutely no "wirelessly" charging cases adapted to motorcycles.

I am just thinking about something like this :

idae210.jpg

on the top of which would be glued/fixed a totally waterproof case for the phone and the charging orb would have to be mounted to the handlebar with a system like this (for example) :

ram-b-149Z-300-1u.jpg

The big difference with a wire charging ordinary case is that you don't have to let any wire in the case, so there is absolutely no way for water to get inside the case.

It would basically look like this (with a FLAT and THIN Qi charger unlike this Nexus Orb) :

idae10.jpg

I understand that my english is ... well... not really all that good so if you want me to re-explain myself in another way, it's no big deal ;)

Last edited:

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
Hello and thank you for your reply.

I think you misunderstood what I was thinking of though. ;)

I know that the Nexus 4 can be charged by Qi. But as far as I can tell, there are absolutely no "wirelessly" charging cases adapted to motorcycles.

I am just thinking about something like this :

idae210.jpg

on the top of which would be glued/fixed a totally waterproof case for the phone and the charging orb would have to be mounted to the handlebar with a system like this (for example) :

ram-b-149Z-300-1u.jpg

The big difference with a wire charging ordinary case is that you don't have to let any wire in the case, so there is absolutely no way for water to get inside the case.

It would basically look like this (with a FLAT and THIN Qi charger unlike this Nexus Orb) :

idae10.jpg

I understand that my english is ... well... not really all that good so if you want me to re-explain myself in another way, it's no big deal ;)

You do not need a qi-capable case for Nexus 4...in fact, they don't even exist. This is because the phone already has the ability!! I think you are either using the wrong word for what you are describing, or you may be confused. There is no special case for this. It just works.

oscar7601

Feb 10, 2013
You do not need a qi-capable case for Nexus 4...in fact, they don't even exist. This is because the phone already has the ability!! I think you are either using the wrong word for what you are describing, or you may be confused. There is no special case for this. It just works.

Okay I really think you're not getting my point :laugh: Thank you for your interest though! I'm going to try to say it in other words. ;)

Alright i KNOW the Nexus 4 HAS already the Qi stock inside it. What i want to do is to charge it by Qi, trough the waterproof sealed case! So that not a single drop of water is able to leak inside the case, just because it's sealed! :)

So obviously the case itself, appart from being waterproof, has nothing special, The only thing we want from it is to be well fixed on to the Qi charger.

Last edited:

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
Okay I really think you're not getting my point :laugh: Thank you for your interest though! I'm going to try to say it in other words. ;)

Alright i KNOW the Nexus 4 HAS already the Qi stock inside it. What i want to do is to charge it by Qi, trough the waterproof sealed case! So that not a single drop of water is able to leak inside the case, just because it's sealed! :)

So obviously the case itself, appart from being waterproof, has nothing special, The only thing we want from it is to be well fixed on to the Qi charger.

So you are just looking for a waterproof case, then?? I don't understand why all the confusing qi drawings were necessary...that's what confused me. I'll have a look, though, because I woukdn't mind having one either. I ride my bike a ton and I get caught in tghe rain a LOT more than anyone would expect. Like I said, I've always just used a zipper seal plastic bag up until now.

CatsAreGods

Nov 26, 2012
Rescue
Most highly protective cases are too thick to operate Qi charging through. Just get a good case, run a wire through, use silicone sealant, and you'll be good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk