[Q] Moto X loosing wifi passwords

Search This thread

Swimboy46163

Nov 1, 2013
Does anyone know how to fix this from happening? I'm running stock odexed rom with faux123 Kernel. It happens with any wifi network. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Drakonas

Jun 20, 2011
Acworth, GA
I am also having this problem on stock. I have installed various Xposed modules, as well as Pry-Fi, but nothing seems to be related to the problem.

Edit: Looking at the reviews for Pry-Fi specific to the Moto X, it seems to have some stability issues with this phone. Turning it off has fixed my issue.

Linked Review

I'll try contacting the developer.

Edit 2: Looks like I won't be using Pry-Fi anymore. The app is dead in development. Looks like the project was not enough of a success.

Last edited:

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I am also having this problem on stock. I have installed various Xposed modules, as well as Pry-Fi, but nothing seems to be related to the problem.

Edit: Looking at the reviews for Pry-Fi specific to the Moto X, it seems to have some stability issues with this phone. Turning it off has fixed my issue.

Linked Review

I'll try contacting the developer.

Edit 2: Looks like I won't be using Pry-Fi anymore. The app is dead in development. Looks like the project was not enough of a success.

You might try "WiFi Inspect" if you are looking for an alternative to Pry-Fi. It is a root app, but I haven't experienced any issues with it.

Good Luck

Drakonas

Jun 20, 2011
Acworth, GA
You might try "WiFi Inspect" if you are looking for an alternative to Pry-Fi. It is a root app, but I haven't experienced any issues with it.

Good Luck

I don't think you understand what Pry-Fi did, because WiFinspect does NOT do what Pry-Fi's main feature was.

From WiFinspect's Play Store page:
...the app is a security audit tool and not a hacking tool.

Pry-Fi is a hacking tool. That is, it hacks your Android.

From the Pry-Fi Play Store page:
While you are not connected to a Wi-Fi network, the MAC address will constantly be pseudo-randomized, following a pattern that still makes the trackers think you are a real person, but they will not encounter your MAC address again. This will slowly poison their tracking database with useless information.
When you do connect to a Wi-Fi network, unless you specify otherwise, your MAC address will also be randomized - the same MAC address will not be used the next time you connect to this or any other network.

Try to find another app like that. I dare you.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I don't think you understand what Pry-Fi did, because WiFinspect does NOT do what Pry-Fi's main feature was.

From WiFinspect's Play Store page:

This statement would appear to be correct. My reply was a genuine attempt to help you by sharing an network penetration app that has been useful to me.

Pry-Fi is a hacking tool. That is, it hacks your Android.

From the Pry-Fi Play Store page:

I don't think I would consider changing my MAC address to be 'hacking my Android'. But even if you do, there are multiple MAC address changers available on the market. While they wouldn't randomize your MAC as often as Pry-Fi, they are still useful at concealing one's identity temporarily.

Try to find another app like that. I dare you.

You seem to have gotten -really- excited about this. Looks like similar functionality will be integrated into the next version of iOS:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/10/ios_wi_fi_mac_address_trick/

The Pry-Fi app was created by one of our most Senior and respected developers here at XDA. It was just released in 2014, and was only ever released as a "proof-of-concept". To call his app "dead in development" and "not enough of a success" is rather insulting. Probably, like many of us, Chainfire only has 24 hours in his day and with family and work, has limited time to spend on such "proof-of-concept" projects.

Drakonas

Jun 20, 2011
Acworth, GA
You seem to have gotten -really- excited about this. Looks like similar functionality will be integrated into the next version of iOS:

The Pry-Fi app was created by one of our most Senior and respected developers here at XDA. It was just released in 2014, and was only ever released as a "proof-of-concept". To call his app "dead in development" and "not enough of a success" is rather insulting. Probably, like many of us, Chainfire only has 24 hours in his day and with family and work, has limited time to spend on such "proof-of-concept" projects.

Why do you think I was saying it wasn't a success? I loved the app. It is well made.. But the discussion was closed, and people were saying "it's dead", so I thought that development had stopped. I wasn't mad at you, or anybody for that matter. Sorry. I need to think about how I'm saying things before posting... seems I was misunderstood.

I didn't mean to insult anybody. I also believe Chainfire is a very respected developer. He made SuperSU, for goodness sakes, not to mention many other heavily successful apps.

And yes, maybe "hacking" is saying too much. I was too quick to reply, and I apologize.

Last edited:
Reactions: samwathegreat

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Why do you think I was saying it wasn't a success? I loved the app. It did well.. But the discussion was closed, and people were saying "it's dead", so I thought that development had stopped. I wasn't mad at you, or anybody for that matter. Sorry.

I didn't mean to insult anybody. Man, I need to learn to think about what I say.

I may have mistook your edit for the dev bashing we see all too often in some of these forums. It seems clear now that wasn't your intention. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Drakonas

Jun 20, 2011
Acworth, GA
I may have mistook your edit for the dev bashing we see all too often in some of these forums. It seems clear now that wasn't your intention. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Don't worry about it. I know there's a lot of that out there. My brain explodes on threads I see on the internet where the OP author asks for help with a stupid question, the helpers try to tell them that it isn't possible or doesn't work that way, the author responds with insults and stupidity thinking they know everything, and then flaming ensues... It's dumb.

N00bs will be n00bs, I guess.

I do apologize, myself. I was probably a bit harsh with my first reply to you. I thought you were pointing me to WiFinspect to be a replacement for Pry-Fi. (you said "there are many apps like that, so I thought you were talking about Pry-Fi)

I probably should've looked at your username. If I had, I would've known that you knew what you were talking about. I've seen you around. I would recommend not red-fonting in the future, though. That might make some people think you're yelling at them, to be honest. Just some advice. :)

I, personally, own everything I love. I know freelance developers don't make much off their apps generally, so developers can count on my contribution, as well as bug reports instead of a Play Store review (honestly, does nobody know the developer can't fix the problem if he/she doesn't experience it themselves?).

I'm ranting here, but I'm just saying that I share your views.

But in any case, was I wrong in assuming that Pry-Fi is dead? I would hope it isn't, because it is an awesome app that also didn't eat that much battery while running in the background. I want to file a bug report, if it isn't dead.

Reactions: samwathegreat

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
But in any case, was I wrong in assuming that Pry-Fi is dead? I would hope it isn't, because it is an awesome app that also didn't eat that much battery while running in the background. I want to file a bug report, if it isn't dead.

Thanks for the reply. The most recent comment Chainfire has posted regarding Pry-Fi suggests that it is definitely not dead, but that because of other commitments/projects, it probably won't get worked on this summer, unless other Devs wish to develop it further. Good news is that although Chainfire himself admits it had "virtually no interest" (as you mentioned before), the new iOS feature that mimics some of the functionality has somewhat 'renewed' interest in it. I look forward to seeing updates possibly by this Fall. I've heard Chainfire rant about how much of a headache "SELinux" is causing to root app devs. It would seem your speculations about interest level were spot-on, but thankfully Chainfire suggests that he is not giving up on it.

I agree on the red-fonting. I often use red to highlight important steps in many posts, but in this case I do believe it was inappropriate.

And finally, I should apologize to @Swimboy46163 for somewhat 'hijacking' his thread...

Swimboy46163: Are you still having issues? Let us know if you would like to continue troubleshooting.

If you would like to read Chainfire's recent comments regarding Pry-Fi, see here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53266853&postcount=382
https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/Y4fjP6cH45v

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Why do you think I was saying it wasn't a success? I loved the app. It is well made.. But the discussion was closed, and people were saying "it's dead", so I thought that development had stopped. I wasn't mad at you, or anybody for that matter. Sorry. I need to think about how I'm saying things before posting... seems I was misunderstood.

I didn't mean to insult anybody. I also believe Chainfire is a very respected developer. He made SuperSU, for goodness sakes, not to mention many other heavily successful apps.

And yes, maybe "hacking" is saying too much. I was too quick to reply, and I apologize.

Don't worry about it. I know there's a lot of that out there. My brain explodes on threads I see on the internet where the OP author asks for help with a stupid question, the helpers try to tell them that it isn't possible or doesn't work that way, the author responds with insults and stupidity thinking they know everything, and then flaming ensues... It's dumb.

N00bs will be n00bs, I guess.

I do apologize, myself. I was probably a bit harsh with my first reply to you. I thought you were pointing me to WiFinspect to be a replacement for Pry-Fi. (you said "there are many apps like that, so I thought you were talking about Pry-Fi)

I probably should've looked at your username. If I had, I would've known that you knew what you were talking about. I've seen you around. I would recommend not red-fonting in the future, though. That might make some people think you're yelling at them, to be honest. Just some advice. :)

I, personally, own everything I love. I know freelance developers don't make much off their apps generally, so developers can count on my contribution, as well as bug reports instead of a Play Store review (honestly, does nobody know the developer can't fix the problem if he/she doesn't experience it themselves?).

I'm ranting here, but I'm just saying that I share your views.