[tutorial] how to flash a custom rom

Search This thread

<JohnCarter>

Jun 1, 2012
Ranchi
THIS A GENERAL GUIDE FOR NOOBS(WHO ARE NEW TO ROMS)

OK first you need your device to have unlocked boot loader, and have a recovery installed.And always do a bit of research.
hint: google- unlock bootloader .......
- root and add recovery in ....... {replace ..... with the name of your device}
[this guide assumes that you have above prerequisites]

1) download your rom[be sure that the rom you download is for your device]
2) put it in the root of your sd card (not in any folder)
3) boot into recovery(CWM,etc.)
4) first create a backup of your existing ROM by going in -backup and restore>backup
5) select wipe data/reset > yes
6) select install zip from sd card >yes
7)reboot

ENJOY !

Last edited:

avr-Illithian

Jan 30, 2012
You'll want to add 'clear cache and dalvik' after flashing. Tends to make flashing ROMs more regularly successful.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app

Reactions: <JohnCarter>

iok1

Feb 24, 2012
Helsingborg
You'll want to add 'clear cache and dalvik' after flashing. Tends to make flashing ROMs more regularly successful.

Factory reset formats /cache, /data, and /sdcard/.android_secure.

Clearing cache would be a waste of time since it's already formatted and dalvik cache is in /data so no need to wipe that either.

Sent from my jelly bean

Reactions: <JohnCarter>

archervinay

Sep 1, 2012
Help

OK first you need your device to have unlocked boot loader, and have a recovery installed.And always do a bit of research.

4) first create a backup of your existing ROM by going in -backup and restore>backup
7)reboot

ENJOY !

I am newbie and rooted my samsung galaxy GT-I5801. I want to flash CM 7. Dont know how to enter recovery mode. HOME key+Volume up key +power button will show Forced upload by key pressing instead of recovery mode. Please help how to flash cm 7

<JohnCarter>

Jun 1, 2012
Ranchi
try this

I am newbie and rooted my samsung galaxy GT-I5801. I want to flash CM 7. Dont know how to enter recovery mode. HOME key+Volume up key +power button will show Forced upload by key pressing instead of recovery mode. Please help how to flash cm 7

you don't have to press vol up key .
you need to press the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button), while holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device by Pressing he Power ON button.
and the rest is the same procedure

hope it helps !

Reactions: Red Devil

nabour

Nov 28, 2012
Flagstaff
Quick question, please.......... I have Jellynote on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and now want to try Redemption Rom. Is there anything I need to do to clear out Jellynote or can I simply install the new rom right over it (after clearing the cash and wiping the data.)

Thanks - Barb

Last edited:

k7ran

Dec 30, 2012
help !!

m already on a custom rom jb v6. n now i wanna move to a new rom ,my prob is do i hav to flash the kernel again ?i hav a unlocked bootloader n the new rom which i wanna go in is Xperia Ultimate HD™ 2.0.3.... pls help me out m kinda stuck on 1st step :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

7)reboot

ENJOY !

Factory reset formats /cache, /data, and /sdcard/.android_secure.

Clearing cache would be a waste of time since it's already formatted and dalvik cache is in /data so no need to wipe that either.

Sent from my jelly bean
    try this

you don't have to press vol up key .
    you need to press the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button), while holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device by Pressing he Power ON button.
    and the rest is the same procedure

hope it helps !