Official statement from Google regarding the Cyanogen controvery

Search This thread

jbomxda

Oct 17, 2007
Orlando, FL
Let's chill for a bit...

I know this whole situation is upsetting, but I don't see the urgency for everybody to run away so fast. Google has made their point, we have made ours. Lets figure out a way were we can keep up this great platform that's evolving at a fast pace. Microsoft made this same mess a while ago with their mobile platform, and even though things changed a bit, it never stopped. I can see new Roms developed everyday for Windows phones. I even see Roms with WM6.5, which Microsoft hasn't even released yet.

Lets all chill for a bit, enjoy what we have running in our devices for now, and wait it out a bit. Heck, the latest CM and Hero builds are way fast and good enough for daily use. Maybe Google will realize their move is a mistake, mainly because all Android phones come built-in with Google apps, so redistributing something that everybody has by default shouldn't break any copyrights or anything. As long as Rom devs keep releasing Roms that contain only apps that we currently obtain in the stock phones, we should be fine. If they don't change their minds, then we can always find alternatives.

One thing is for sure, keep spreading the word of what they did, so they feel the pressure. This has to make top news around the world. Maybe phone manufacturers will side a little in with us since most already have good money invested in Android phones.

Z҉A҉L҉G҉O̚̕̚

Jul 3, 2009
www.last.fm
Yeah, nothing from any of those will ever be flashed onto my phone. god only know what sort of infectious crapper-ware it would load you with.

I still think a boycott for one day would go a long way...

And besides, what about legal uses. Like torrents for Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, WOW, PS3, indie music artists, NIN. They all use torrents legally to pass on data without having to deal with building server farms or hosting fees.

/end rant

shafty023

Jul 24, 2007
Austin,TX
So remove the apps that aren't included in the source repository and we can push them in manually. What's the big deal? They're telling you to stop including those apps, not to stop developing custom builds.

I was thinking this was because he was redistributing v1.6 sdk versions of these apps. Not b/c of the v1.5 sdk. Basically redistributing Donut versions instead of the already available Cupcake apps

redmdc

Jul 15, 2009
Is it just me that thinks as a letter of concern from google this is a very formal way of writing for a multimillion pound company of its business stature

tr.slate

Jan 26, 2009
Austin
And besides, what about legal uses. Like torrents for Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, WOW, PS3, indie music artists, NIN. They all use torrents legally to pass on data without having to deal with building server farms or hosting fees.

/end rant

Yeah, i know there are legal uses. It just seems much safer and user friendly to have an actual place to go, like xda, than to download something that may be harmful, even though the likelihood of getting something "brick-ifying" may be small.

bigstunta101

Mar 13, 2009
man this is the most pathetic bull**** ever. wtf is the point of android: gotdamn open source if we cant play with it. maybe if ****ing google spent their time with all the damn geeks they have updating the sofware and all then we as a community wouldnt be forced to find it elsewhere. instead of updating the software, they want to be a ***** like apple n iphone and make a new phone dat does the same GOTDAMN BULL****. I MEAN COME ONNNN WTF GOOGLE, WTFFFFF???? I HOPE THE COMPANY BURNS IN ****ING ETERNAL INFERNO FOR THIS ****. a major thanks to cyanmod. u made this fone worth having and set it aside from every other touchscreen out there

prince.siraj

Feb 18, 2009
Loma Linda
Yeah, i know there are legal uses. It just seems much safer and user friendly to have an actual place to go, like xda, than to download something that may be harmful, even though the likelihood of getting something "brick-ifying" may be small.

you only get something brickifying if someone uploads it there. The Pirate Bay doesn't actually put malware on their website... -.-

rsxtypes72

Mar 14, 2009
Cyanogen....Thank you for everything you had done for the community. This is the unfortunate price for being too popular. I just have one question. Have any other devs gotten a C&D letter?

Everyone who is pissed obviously dont understand. Google is referring to their apps...those are not open source and dont want anyone unauthorized to distribute them. Simple. Cyan knows what they are saying everyone needs to chill out.

Last edited:

isikh

Jul 16, 2009
NY
When my contract is over, it looks like i will be going to Web OS now...google this is the first time ever I've been dissapointed with you

X-i-phoner

Aug 25, 2009
Boise, ID
Like everyone been saying and i read a statement on another website from a inside source from google that the move my google was initiated by its legal team because/mainly the reason that the new market was incorporated into cyan last few builds and this is not a general release as of yet

so if he had kept the old market they have been saying but went ahead adding all the other donut stuff then they would have sat back and said nothing ( yea its sound retarded i know)

but once he added that he is distrubuting something that no user has a license for because it wasnt on your phone to being with ........

but then the question remains so why then post in on your donut source tree for all to see if you know people would take it and incorporate it

unless this was their end game all along

something to think about

In one of Cyanogens earlier posts he claimed the new market got leaked to him but it is untraceable.

prince.siraj

Feb 18, 2009
Loma Linda
Cyanogen....Thank you for everything you had done for the community. This is the unfortunate price for being too popular. I just have one question. Have any other devs gotten a C&D letter?

no. hopefully never... and that's only the price to pay when doing something with what was one of the most brilliant companies in the world turn greedy. forgive me if i'm being ignorant

Gimpeh

Feb 25, 2009
Springfield
Here is google's information:

Our headquarters are located in the heart of Silicon Valley.

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
Phone: +1 650-253-0000
Fax: +1 650-253-0001

I say we BOMBARD them with support for Cyanogen and how we will move to other platforms if this hypocrisy is to continue.

Cyanogen did NOT MOD their closed sources (and apparently closed minded) applications. He modded the open source parts.

ALL of us that BOUGHT Google powered phones OWN the rights to use those applications. It should not matter that my ROM is modded. WE PAID FOR THE GOOGLE APPS!!! THEY STILL GET OUR INFORMATION and make loads of cash off of it. ****, I'm going to start using YAHOO! and BING

Everyone, right now, go and turn off the function that shares information with Google on your G1. That is a step in the direction of really making Android not worth it for them. Because right now as it stands, Android will not be worth it for me.

Oh, and don't forget to write or call Google and tell them what you are doing and why. Cyanogen and Android need us to protect them from Google right now. Give support in the only way that really gets the message to Google.

Anyone ever remember that show called Jericho? When it was cancelled, all of the fans sent peanuts to the stations headquarters. After receiving multiple tons of peanuts the show received a new season. I'll do it!

prince.siraj

Feb 18, 2009
Loma Linda
In one of Cyanogens earlier posts he claimed the new market got leaked to him but it is untraceable.

JAC and Haykuro got Hero leaks... HTC wasn't being dumb about it... i mean whoever has the Hero unrooted now will probably thank them and us for testing and providing feedback if only they knew right? but Google doesn't seem to like high-quality pre-release testing... that's the !@#$%&* best kind!

TheGreenJester

Apr 21, 2009
Maybe this is naive, or the powers that be would just find another way to call it illegal, but how about instead of distributing the closed source apps, the installer could copy them to the SD card then copy them back after installing the ROM.

Instead of redistributing the apps, just copy out and then copy back in the apps that we all received legally from Google in the first place?

This is just what I was thinking. Is the rule here that you can't remove the closed source google parts off of the device, or off of the internal memory? Copying the google parts to the fat32 and then back after flashing would allow updates that dont contain the forbidden files.