[Q] Micro Arc Oxidation failure?

Search This thread

Harrysoon

Sep 6, 2007
Morecambe, England
Thanks to Vasp for sending me his spare paint kit, but I bit the bullet and exchanged again. Yesterday was the final day to exchanged it, so I thought I might as well do it. I went to a different Carphone Warehouse and the guy at this one seemed to know about the issue and just took my phone off me and handed me a new one straight out of the box. It's still a 23 serial number, so will see how this on goes. I have another 28 days again to exchange it.

I'm down in London next week too where I originally bought the phone. If it happens while I'm there I'll take it to the actual Carphone Warehouse I got it from. They may have newer models there with it being a much busier place and it being in higher demand there.

I'm done, bottom line here is, you are a one s abuser. Blala jojoba

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA

You buy a phone with a metal cased phone, and then keep it in a case. That makes sense. That's like me and my car, which I love to bits, wrapping it in bubble wrap in case someone crashes in to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

wilcoholic

Jul 26, 2010
I agree with most users. Whats the freaking point in buying a nice looking phone made out of quality materials if you are going to keep it in a case. You might as well buy the GS3 then since its a superior phone in most categories. I bought the 1S for its design.

Its the same complaint I have with iphone users who buy a ridiculously ugly case for their phones. Why worry about getting a scratch on your phone when you are never going to enjoy your phone to its fullest potential. I don't see the point in this materialistic view.

Anyway my 1S is absolutely butchered after 6 weeks of use and I think I am just going to sand it down for a silver aluminum look.

Android_Mark

Apr 21, 2012
Coates, Nr Peterborough
MOD Edit: Quote removed.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA

Don't think it is the coating that is the fault, but more what it is coating. The aluminium on the One S is less than 1 mm thick, so fairly flexible, whereas a satellite is probably several cm thick and quite rigid. It is the flexible case and the rigid ceramic combination that is causing the fault on the first batch.

btw, after 6 weeks of putting it off, ordered my black One S today, from Mobiles.co.uk (some excellent deals, and parto f the Carphone Warehouse) tonight. Should be here tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

M

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cakira

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages. Some of the comments are not acceptable. Further trolling will result in a infraction/ban. Do not engage trolls, just report them and let the moderation team sort the problem. In short, dont feed the trolls!​

Komadyret

Aug 7, 2010
Took it's time, but the repair shop has put my repaired phone in the mail. And not exactly overnighted it! I'll get it tuesday or wednesday :p

According to the service tag I got to see when I was in the retail store inquiring about it yesterday, they have swapped th unibody. How good or bad that is, we'll see when the phone gets un-boxed. But after 3 weeks I sure am impatient. I wasn't planning on returning to my Desire just a few weeks after buying a new phone, and use it for a full 3 weeks while my new shiny black One S was off to get it's casing polished ;)

cooldesire

Jan 16, 2011
Linkoping
"It features aircraft 6,000 series aluminum which is treated with micro arc oxidation by blasting it with 10,000 volts of energy. This gives the metal a ceramic feel and causes it to become five times harder (that’s three times stronger than stainless steel).

The shell of the HTC One S is so durable that HTC claims that it does not even need a protective case. "

If it doesn't need any case as per HTC, why does the sell this
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/htc-launches-kickstand-tastic-one-s-cases-we-go-hands-on/

hah aaa:D

vasp3690

Apr 23, 2012
no more chipping for me!
the SGS3 doesnt chip!

time to go guys. Good luck sorting things out with HTC...

Android_Mark

Apr 21, 2012
Coates, Nr Peterborough
HTC One S arrived yesterday!

Wow this phone looks and feels awesone!

I have the tiniest of imperfections on the edge near the headphone socket. So small my wife says she cannot see it.

Serial number SH23M - so still one of the first batch supplied to the UK.

I am going to see how things go over the next few days.

M

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
Wow this phone looks and feels awesone!

I have the tiniest of imperfections on the edge near the headphone socket. So small my wife says she cannot see it.

Serial number SH23M - so still one of the first batch supplied to the UK.

I am going to see how things go over the next few days.

M

Do you know what the difference is between SH23M and SH23WW?

ah6806

Jul 18, 2010
Is there a unit out there that does not have this teething problem, or is every unit loosing the facade?

i have read the majority of the thread and it seems everyone is having the same problem. Is there really no unit without this unpleasant manufacturing flaw????

Pixie1

May 26, 2012
HTC One S -> new design

Apparently HTC finally winds up with a somewhat modified design -> slightly less sharp edge and a beveled USB port ...

Last edited:

Pixie1

May 26, 2012
Links

Yup, I got links to some pics here - yet I'm not allowed to post them as a 'newbie'.

Pixie1

May 26, 2012
This is it -> www dot android-hilfe dot de slash htc-one-s-forum slash 225489-verarbeitungsfehler-beim-one-s-79 dot html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anybody has got the problem with the ceramic surface which is shown in the following pictures??

Looks like a major problem with the production technology :-(
    You have to be really dumb to release phones like this. This is not the first time HTC has done this. QA obviously sucks at HTC

As a potential HTC One S owner I'll just inject a few words into this thread.

Most of the people complaining and spouting their opinions on QA have no frigging clue about metallurgy or SCM.

I have consulted for companies that design & sell 100k-1M units. There are so many steps in the process until that phone gets to your hands (at a very low price, considering the complexity!), that the mind would boggle - and sometimes it's amazing that anything works at all, ever.

As for the coating process, I doubt that HTC mills the metal or has plasma baths in their offices. All this stuff is outsourced. And in China its hard to ensure that you get what you pay for (or specify) - Ive seen this happen with PCB laminates, components where the BOM says one thing, and a middleman will just ignore it and pocket the difference.

Maybe the base metal was a 3003 alloy instead of a 6100, maybe it was not degreased well enough, maybe some employees handled the edges, perhaps the plasma bath was too cold, or things not given enough time to warm up due to the units/hour presure from the line manager. Moreover, unless you destructively test the devices it's very hard to spot such failures unless you decided that's what you're going to look for.

Of course I would be disappointed when my One S has a chipping issue, but it seems like HTC is being responsible and has quickly acknowledged the issue, without telling the customers "you're holding it wrong"

FWIW I own a HTC Desire, a Nokia N79, SE K750 and lots of old Nokias.
    surface flaw, no scratch

Have been at a surveyor. He told me this are doubtless no scratches. And indeed I did not drop my phone. On the pictures they took you can clearly see that there are no scratches aroud the affected area, which should be there if I dropped the phone.. What I think is the my reseller will tell me I am stupid if I show those very little flaws to him :eek:
    Let's hope for HTC
    6tjn9j.jpg
    2bb891.jpg
    Thread Cleaned

I have cleaned some posts from the last few pages. Some of the comments are not acceptable. Further trolling will result in a infraction/ban. Do not engage trolls, just report them and let the moderation team sort the problem. In short, dont feed the trolls!​
    ^^Good post psch0t1c^^

I'm not sure about sending it back to HTC in case they do try and say I have damaged it which I KNOW I haven't. I'm inclined to wait a few more days and see if the problem becomes more widespread and HTC become more aware of the problem.

I think we should ether do a new thread or add a poll to the OP so we can gauge how many people are affected thus far.