Rogers D803 - KK update vs Root

Search This thread

agent3m

Feb 2, 2014
Don't ota with twrp or you will bootloop

Sent from my LG-D800 running stock kk, rooted with philz using XDA app

Thanks XxZombiePikachu. I didn't know the bootloop issue last week and was able to get back and running to my TWRP 2.6.3.4 and 4.2.2.

I just finished upgrading OTA using the LG Mobile Support Tool which was super easy. Once updated I didn't have root access. However, I tried the IOroot25 which now supports D803 and it worked! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48709232&postcount=869 I have root access back.

EXCEPT when following the instructions, my phone was wiped clean as if right out of the box with KitKat 4.4.2. Luckily I backed everything up using Titanium so I'm in the process of restoring all my apps BUT I now have KitKat 4.4.2 with root access.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bell D803 Root, FOTA, Fun

Just the other day, I decided to root my LG G2 (Bell D803), and found a TWRP Recovery that installed properly (was warned in several locations NOT to use a D802 recovery or ROMs!). Got myself rooted using ioroot (lovely tool), nice new recovery, then found no ROMs really ready for use on the D803 (although I hear some folks have been able to get D802 ROMs working with effort). Barely had time to start exploring my further options when the FOTA update appeared. Not thinking, I grabbed it immediately!

And then the phone went into a boot loop -- Recovery was my only option. Tried looking around within Recovery for any sign of the FOTA update files but later found it goes to a partition. Apparently wiping this partition brings the phone back to a usable state.

adb shell
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota of=/sdcard/fota-backup.img
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota

Once back in usable mode (still with root at this point, but no shiny new KitKat), I did some digging to try figure out how to get rid of my new Recovery so I can get the update. The shortest possible path I found: the LG Mobile Support Tool. I ran it, it said there was an update. Downloaded the update and all was good -- aside for remnants of root being left over (just needed to uninstall Superuser app; wasn't working at this point anyway).

So for now, I'm rootless but fully updated. :D
    I tried the kk update via ota on my rogers LG g2 yesterday. I'm rooted and have twrp installed. In super user I checked temp unroot and ota survival and then problems started. I got stuck at twrp. Powering off and on, rebooting I always ended up at twrp. I used the terminal line and followed from some other post and got my phone back up. Now not sure how to proceed to install the update. So sticking to 4.2.2 for now. Anyone have any clues or should I do a stock recovery or would hard factory reset help?

Sent from my LG-D803 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Use the tool in this thread,I was rooted and running TWRP recovery. I put it in download mode before running the tool and it auto-detected me as d803. The whole process took about an hour, but I am on 4.4.2 now unrooted, no wipe.http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2471370&highlight=d803
    Updating via the support toolbars got rid of twrp without a glitch?

Sent from my LG-D803 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yes. Just doing the update it offered restored my Recovery back to stock and upgraded stock ROM. No wipe necessary and only thing lost was root. There was a brief warning that updates are not available on rooted setups, but I haven't seen that again after the initial boot. I suspect removing Superuser solved this but I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks, was stumped on this one, I had the exact same issue! I figured out the deleting the partition part, but I couldn't figure out how to update. I know what I'm doing when I get off work!!!

Sent from my LG-D803 using xda app-developers app
    Got home ran the software update and it worked like a charm! I appreciate the tip! Oh and it only took about 15 mins!

Sent from my LG-D803 using xda app-developers app