[Q] VZW i800 tab data partition hosed.

Search This thread

bdsmchs

Oct 23, 2010
Westminster, CA
Alright, so I've got a rooted Verizon OG Galaxy tab (SCH-i800). For the last couple months I've been running this ICS ROM:
-------------------------------------------
http rootzwiki dot com slash topic slash 11697-rom-cdma-aosp-ics-cm9-build101-0418

A couple weeks ago, I plugged in my tab to charge and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning, the tab was powered down. I powered it back on, and it took at least 15 minutes to boot and when it came up the system was giving a warning that it tried to convert the system to an encrypted system and failed. It then said to hit "ok" to format data and reboot factory-fresh. So I said "ok" and tried that. It booted up into the same error screen another 15 minutes and just kept repeating this every time I tried.

So I went into CWM Recovery and tried to do a manual wipe data/cache partition from there. It also appears to have failed.

Lastly, I tried using Heimdall to reflash the tab to 2.3.5 rooted (where I started before the ICS ROM). When I do this, the tab boot-loops at the Verizon Wireless animated screen. If I go into stock recovery I get this error message immediately upon boot:
http i dot imgur dot com slash DSuyt.jpg

If I ignore that and select "wipe data/factory reset", then I get these error messages:
http i dot imgur dot com slash Ofr8s.jpg

As best as I can tell, the /data partition is messed up in some way. I'm GUESSING that due to the encrypted conversion, it's probably no longer formatted as ANY kind of filesystem so linux can't mount it.

I'd love to be able to fix this, but when I plug the tab in to my machine (Win7 64bit), adb doesn't see it.

Could REALLY use some help here. Thanks guys.

yappoe

Nov 23, 2011
Wow that's pretty hard core. Failure to mount cache could be a serious problem. Hopefully someone else can jump in and help as well... I'm afraid there could be a hardware failure. I.e. You may need to go to Samsung to have it repaired (replaced).

Some questions about how you flash to stock 2.3.5:
Did you repartition (flash pit file) when you restock your tab? -- and a just-in-case question -- You did choose a CDMA version of 2.3.5, right?

For the undetacted problem, you need to retry several (or many) times while odin (or heimdell) is started. Sometimes Odin (or Heimdell) will detect the tab before your computer can detect it as unrecognized device.
If you can go pass this detection issue, try to flash cache.rfs from a cdma ROM.
I hope this can solve the problem.
If not than it is almost 100% chance hardware failure, and SAMSUNG service center should know what to replace (I imagine it's the internal SDCard).

Good luck and I hope you are still under warranty.

Last edited:

bdsmchs

Oct 23, 2010
Westminster, CA
Some questions about how you flash to stock 2.3.5:
Did you repartition (flash pit file) when you restock your tab? -- and a just-in-case question -- You did choose a CDMA version of 2.3.5, right?

I did not re-partition. I've never been able to find a VZW PIT file, and the PIT's that I've found (Sprint CDMA) I could never get Heimdall to do anything with. I'm sure I've been doing something wrong.

As far as a CDMA version, yeah. I'm using the VZW 2.3.5 Stock Rooted to go back to stock with Heimdall.

You need to retry several (or many) times while odin (heimdell) is started. Sometimes it will detect the tab before your computer can detect as unrecognized device.

I've never actually had any real problems with Heimdall recognizing the device (as long as the drivers are installed right) and flashing the firmware. The problem is just trying to recover from this /data corruption.

yappoe

Nov 23, 2011
I did not re-partition. I've never been able to find a VZW PIT file, and the PIT's that I've found (Sprint CDMA) I could never get Heimdall to do anything with. I'm sure I've been doing something wrong.

As far as a CDMA version, yeah. I'm using the VZW 2.3.5 Stock Rooted to go back to stock with Heimdall.

I've never actually had any real problems with Heimdall recognizing the device (as long as the drivers are installed right) and flashing the firmware. The problem is just trying to recover from this /data corruption.

I just edited my earlier post.

Try to repartition with a pit file. Moving from ICS to Gingerbread requires different partition system (the EXT to RFS) -- This might be the problem. You can do it with ODIN easily. I'm sure you can use Sprint's PIT file without a problem.
Try that first, if you still have mounting problem, you need to find both dbdata.rfs and cache.rfs from a good CDMA rom.

If after you replace those three things, and you still can't boot it up.. you may have, as I said eariler, fried some hardware.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Hey, read this guy's post. He downloaded pit file available with the heimdell and he has verizon tab.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26067940&postcount=2

Last edited:

RichAP

Feb 3, 2010
Austin
I'm having the same issue with a friends VZW Tab and I believe the Data partition is screwed up and is in some sort of read-only mode.

I am able to install different roms but can never wipe the data(or cache) partitions.

Once I installed ICS I got the same encryption msg as you.

I think there may be a way to create the data & cache partitions on an SD card.
The other option is replacing the internal flash chip.

Alright, so I've got a rooted Verizon OG Galaxy tab (SCH-i800). For the last couple months I've been running this ICS ROM:
http rootzwiki dot com slash topic slash 11697-rom-cdma-aosp-ics-cm9-build101-0418

A couple weeks ago, I plugged in my tab to charge and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning, the tab was powered down. I powered it back on, and it took at least 15 minutes to boot and when it came up the system was giving a warning that it tried to convert the system to an encrypted system and failed. It then said to hit "ok" to format data and reboot factory-fresh. So I said "ok" and tried that. It booted up into the same error screen another 15 minutes and just kept repeating this every time I tried.

So I went into CWM Recovery and tried to do a manual wipe data/cache partition from there. It also appears to have failed.

Lastly, I tried using Heimdall to reflash the tab to 2.3.5 rooted (where I started before the ICS ROM). When I do this, the tab boot-loops at the Verizon Wireless animated screen. If I go into stock recovery I get this error message immediately upon boot:

If I ignore that and select "wipe data/factory reset", then I get these error messages:

As best as I can tell, the /data partition is messed up in some way. I'm GUESSING that due to the encrypted conversion, it's probably no longer formatted as ANY kind of filesystem so linux can't mount it.

I'd love to be able to fix this, but when I plug the tab in to my machine (Win7 64bit), adb doesn't see it.

PookiePrancer

Aug 9, 2010

Did you ever get this sorted out? I can't believe ICS roms can fry a device so badly. From what you wrote, it looks like I'm in the same boat, but all threads lead to nowhere.

ableeker

Nov 20, 2010
This sounds like the ICS Encryption Unsuccessful bug. There are reports of Captivate owners (and probably others) who have seen this message at boot, and were left with broken phones. It seems the internal storage was permanently broken or at least locked. So far there's no real explanation what's causing it, or how to fix it. There's a workaround, switching the internal storage with the external storage. I don't think Tabs have been damaged permanently, However, these reports seem to occur more nowadays, so some may have been burned. I've seen this message a couple of times myself, but the Tab was working again after reboot, though it did a kind of factory reset every time. However I noticed it seemed to occur more frequently the longer I was running ICS. Restocking to GB with Kies even failed initially, and only succeeded with an emergency recovery. For the time being I've decided to stay with CM 7. I do hope JB will fix it, and it will be safe to run it on the Tab.

DaKillaWilla

Apr 12, 2009
I find it very interesting that people that converted there tabs to mtd to run ics are experiencing this issue. Has anybody experienced this issue running a stock rom?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

PookiePrancer

Aug 9, 2010
I find it very interesting that people that converted there tabs to mtd to run ics are experiencing this issue. Has anybody experienced this issue running a stock rom?

Not that I've seen. I was leery about trying something like this, precisely because it requires a change from which you seemingly can't recover. Everybody says "restock with Overcome." Welllll...that doesn't work for the CDMA Tabs (wish I knew that before). I've had the Tab since it came out, so it's not a terribly painful loss, but I certainly would have preferred it not happen. Now, I'd be tickled pink just to get the Tab back to stock/unrooted :)

I still haven't tried the technique in the guide I linked to (have a lot to learn about adb).

Oh, and bdsmchs moved on. He got some help on rootzwiki which indicated his Tab was physically damaged after his ICS upgrade, and apparently had insurance to cover a new one. So...word to the wise.

I don't think my Tab is as bad as his was, but we'll see.

DaKillaWilla

Apr 12, 2009
Try odining the sprint stock tar with its pit (repartition checked), and see if that brings it back. I notice alot of people running ics on the tab have said that it gets warm and the battery drains while its off. Mine was doing that on ics, so I figured something wasn't right. So I went back to a sprint stock ext4 rom. My guess is its either the ics kernel causing it, or maybe the chips in our tab just don't like the mtd partitions. For me its just not worth the risk. I could probably run a themed launcher to get that ics feel if I want. As long as everything just works I'm happy...

Last edited:

ableeker

Nov 20, 2010
Just to clarify, the Encryption unsuccessful problem doesn't have to do with encryption. What happens is that during boot the Tab is unable to read the internal storage. It then assumes it must be encrypted but is naturally unable to decrypt it. It then gives up with the EU message and tells you to reboot. However, the internal storage failure may be caused because ICS uses a function that in combination with a bug in the controller firmware that is said to break the internal storage. If the internal storage is broken because of this, rebooting will not work. Unfortunately not even flashing will work. As far as I know this problem doesn't occur on Gingerbread, only on ICS. I've seen this problem a number of times on ICS, and it seemed to occur more and more the longer I ran ICS. For now I've gone to CM 7.2 to be safe, but I'm hoping JB doesn't have the problem.

Reactions: DaKillaWilla

PookiePrancer

Aug 9, 2010
Just to clarify, the Encryption unsuccessful problem doesn't have to do with encryption. What happens is that during boot the Tab is unable to read the internal storage. It then assumes it must be encrypted but is naturally unable to decrypt it. It then gives up with the EU message and tells you to reboot. However, the internal storage failure may be caused because ICS uses a function that in combination with a bug in the controller firmware that is said to break the internal storage. If the internal storage is broken because of this, rebooting will not work. Unfortunately not even flashing will work. As far as I know this problem doesn't occur on Gingerbread, only on ICS. I've seen this problem a number of times on ICS, and it seemed to occur more and more the longer I ran ICS. For now I've gone to CM 7.2 to be safe, but I'm hoping JB doesn't have the problem.

In your experience, did you ever know of anyone recovering? It looks like I won't be able to use adb to follow the steps I linked to, since I can't exactly select "USB Debugging."

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
well, like ableeker said,
the encryption unsuccessful message has nothing to do with encrypting your android to avoid people reading your /data (which is what your link points to).

It just can't read your /data and "think" it is encrypted because it reads gibberish.

In other words, toasted NAND chip.

Reactions: PookiePrancer

PookiePrancer

Aug 9, 2010
the encryption unsuccessful message has nothing to do with encrypting your android to avoid people reading your /data (which is what your link points to).

It just can't read your /data and "think" it is encrypted because it reads gibberish.

Thanks for your insight. Some of the threads I've read pointed to either that, or the fact that the partition had been encrypted, but without knowing the key, you'd never get back into the partition:

"Here's the bad news:
Your partitions for /data and /sdcard are no longer accessible. They may be encrypted with a key you cannot know (completely lost) or just inaccessible (data restoration possible, but not at this time."

So I thought the procedure I linked to might be able to help recover the partition. I have no idea, though, so I'm grasping at straws. Just weird that most of what I've been reading is on custom ICS roms.

mrnadir

Jun 18, 2011
So did anyone find a solution to this? I also started running cyanogenmod 9 and after 2 days my tablet wouldnt boot beyond the startup screen. Found out through cw recovery that the /data partition is corrupted. I have tried multiple pit files but no luck yet.
One workaround I was thinking was to mount the /data partition on the external sd card and at least get the tablet working instead of throwng away. Im guessing that the internal nand flash is soldered.
So how does mount the /data to the external sd card? a softlink maybe?!

sailio

Jul 25, 2010
My friend bought the verizon sch-i800 tab. i was able to use Heimdall and flash over all the files (cache, recovery, ect.) but it tries to go in recovery to do a factory reset and says it cant find file or dir to anything and fails. im so confused.... i used the right everything and it flashed it all over to not read it??...

--wiping data...
formatting /data...
E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
formatting /dbdata...
formatting /cache...
E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblik0p1
data wipe complete.
E:failed to mount /preload (no such file or directory)
E:install_application_for_customer:cant mount /preload

your storage not prepared yet, please use ui menu for format and reboot actions.
E:failed to mount /cache (no such file or directory)
E:cant mount /cache/recovery/log
E:cant open /cache/recovery/log
E:cant mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:cant open /cache/recovery/last_log

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.