Reply to text messages

Search This thread

rikwebb

May 26, 2006
Derby
Ok folks,
I have my new Samsung Gear Live and its paired to my HTC One M7

Although I'm sure that I should be able to reply to SMS messages, the option is not available.
I can say "OK Google" "text fred bloggs" from the home screen and that works.
Do you think the limitation is something to do with HTC's SMS client?

Rik

findjaime

Jul 18, 2012
I have the Live w/HTC One M8.

I'm inclined to believe that the reason my replies work is because I have (just started) SMS texting via Hangouts. I only switched from my normal texting client because I knew that the Wear watches would work out of the box w/Hangouts.

That said, Hangouts is a pretty lousy texting app, but I like that it's baked into Wear.

Ok folks,

Although I'm sure that I should be able to reply to SMS messages, the option is not available.

Rik

Maturola

Sep 5, 2012
Atlanta
www.maturola.com
Ok folks,

Rik

Ok so I don't have my Gear live yet (is on the truck out for delivery), however I asked a similar question and for what I understand you won;t be able to replay to the SMS until the App is updated with the new API to support that. I believe the only one that currently support that is Google own's "Hangouts".

gadgetgaz

Aug 20, 2007
Yorkshire
webandITstudio.com
On Google's promotional video for Android Wear, where the guy is on the bus, he gets a text message and says, "reply - be there in 2" and the message is sent.
That does not seem to work but you can make a swipe until you get a "reply" screen that enables you to speak a reply.

rikwebb

May 26, 2006
Derby
Thanks for the info chaps.

I don't even have the swipe across to reply option - all I get is the open on phone option :(
The reply by voice is one of the key things I was hoping for.

Naughty Google promo's grrrrrr.

Oh well - I suppose we are the beta testers :)

MrMediaGuy

Feb 10, 2007
Same issue here with Gear Live and HTC One M7. I can "Open on phone" when I receive an SMS, but no reply options. Assuming this is a limitation of the HTC Messaging client not being "Wear-aware".... although FWIW I can reply to SMS natively on my M7 via Google Glass, which is essentially using the same set of APIs as far as I know.

So I switched (grudgingly) to Hangouts as my SMS client and all works fine. (Interestingly, the HTC SMS client as well as Google Voice continue to stay synched with Hangouts in the background, so I can still use the GV app or Web interface from other devices.)

rikwebb

May 26, 2006
Derby
Same issue here with Gear Live and HTC One M7. I can "Open on phone" when I receive an SMS, but no reply options. Assuming this is a limitation of the HTC Messaging client not being "Wear-aware".... although FWIW I can reply to SMS natively on my M7 via Google Glass, which is essentially using the same set of APIs as far as I know.

So I switched (grudgingly) to Hangouts as my SMS client and all works fine. (Interestingly, the HTC SMS client as well as Google Voice continue to stay synched with Hangouts in the background, so I can still use the GV app or Web interface from other devices.)

Yep - done the same here :)

Still no reply without swiping though :(

I'm sure it will come

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
Can it just support actionable notifications to work?

no i think it needs to support android wear specifically. hangouts and evolve both do as of right now, i'd imagine most of the big apps will follow suit sooner rather than later since they stated that it was minimal amount of code that needed to be added in

jimbohurt

May 13, 2013
A little disapointed to read this (mine will be here thursday) but dont forget guys. Updates, updates, updates!! Im sure it will work soon.

kramdens

Nov 20, 2011
On Google's promotional video for Android Wear, where the guy is on the bus, he gets a text message and says, "reply - be there in 2" and the message is sent.
That does not seem to work but you can make a swipe until you get a "reply" screen that enables you to speak a reply.

When I swipe, I see REPLY, but when i press it, it basically just goes to a check mark.. doesn't even let me say anything.

Scotty_Two

Dec 25, 2010
Denver, CO
scott-olsen.com
I'm using Hangouts on an N5, but anytime that I try to send a message, it defaults to SMS (through Hangouts) instead of a chat message, which is what I want. Even if I'm replying to a chat that someone just sent me, it tries to send it as an SMS. Quite annoying.

FynxSyndct

Jan 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
when i initially received my watch, I added most of the apps to my G2. I'm using contacts+ for SMS which has wear compatibility. works fine for verbal replies from the watch.