When do you think ICS is going to be released; should I install an ICS-based ROM?

Search This thread

littlewierdo

Dec 10, 2010
I am gonna wait for the official ICS release too. Yes its too bad that the just stopped updating custom Gingerbread roms. I am still using SolarisPrime A New Beginning and it is a great rom. No reboots or FCs at all. I asked them about updating it on that thread but was never responded to then they closed the thread a few days later. I came from Windows Mobile and on a lot of there roms they were making several varients of the same rom so I am not sure why someone couldn't make a rom that has a Gingerbread and ICS varient.

Yep, right now, there isnt enough out there. Everything is basically kitchen rom style roms cooked up based heavily on the stock rom which defeats the whole purpose for me. I love Cyanogen for this very reason, those guys ARE what make Android rom'ing what it is, once they start developing, we will start seeing alot more than just debloated, overclocked, themed roms based on stock roms that underneath have all the same problems the stock rom does but to a lesser degree. No offense to the devs who have released roms but most of what has been done can be simply done with the stock rom w/ root access, if you are willing to put the time in to do all the necessary tweaks.

Autumnfading

Mar 26, 2011
If you enjoy tinkering with your phone and are okay with dealing with possible bugs (or reverting to stock), and feel relatively confident that you won't brick your phone (or at least that it's not the end of the world if you do), then I'd say go for it.

I personally think it's going to be at least a couple more months until we see an official ICS update. I'd bet it's more like fall when it comes out. I've already flashed the Seraphim ICS ROM, and I definitely like it far better than the stock Gingerbread ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I never try any custom Rom yet but usually there is always bugs on custom roms. I just suggest u wait for the official ics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Then Why do you even have an xda account??
    That's nuts. Don't take advice from people who don't know what they are speaking about.

There are some great custom roms. Much better then any Sammy crapwiz stock rom.

Try them yourself. You will be glad u did. Just read and follow all instructions. Exactly
    aw geez, not ANOTHER "how's the battery" thread....

NO ONES BATTERY WILL BE THE SAME AS YOURS...THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW IS TO TRY IT YOURSELF!!

sorry about the caps, but this question just makes me crazy...
    it takes about a half hour to read what you need to know, and another half hour to root, flash cwm, and flash a ROM...are you seriously that busy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

And then the time to set up the rom, try different roms, discover compatibility issues, find out which apps cause battery drain..etc...

It can be much more time consuming than what you're describing.
    Truth be told, personally, all you need is root right now. Once you get root, rename the bloatware apps from *.apk to *.bpk and do a factory reset.

Getting root is extremely easy, there are several threads in the development section.

Important!!! As far as what apps to rename, only rename what is safe to rename. If you dont know what it is, leave it alone!! I havent seen a list anywhere of the bloatware but its pretty easy to figure it out. Renaming the apps is effectively the same as uninstalling them (after you do a factory reset) but still allows you to put them back should you want to update to the official ICS - just rename the *.bpks BACK to *.apk and remove the root (instructions are on the development boards).

The factory reset is easily done by going to settings->Privacy-Factory Data Reset. This will clear out any apps that are still loading from the pre-cached data created by Android (any apps you renamed may still continue to load due to the pre-cached data - the factory reset removes this pre-cached data and the files renamed to *.bpk will not be rebuilt). A factory reset will still retain your root access.

There are other things you can do as well such as installing CWM (which you should do before you do anything other than rooting or renaming apks), installing custom kernels, installing custom scripts, and installing new roms. But truth be told, most people would probably be happy with the bloatware removed and if that isnt enough, CWM with a different kernel and possibly some script installs. Flashing a new rom right now doesnt really bring much to the table.