[R&D] Writing custom Gear 2 roms, starting with the source.

Search This thread

Corstian

Jul 21, 2010
corstianboerman.com
As the most of you probably know the Gear 2's sources are released by Samsung over here: http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=r381

Are there amongst you who already started the development of custom software for this device or who have experience with Tizen's source code?

What I want to know right now:

How do I compile these sources?

Found information:

How can I push the compiled code to the Gear 2?

Found information:

Where do I have to start modding these sources to eventually be able to create an open platform for the Gear 2?

All help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: ipsum_deum

Corstian

Jul 21, 2010
corstianboerman.com
have you made any progress ??? even at emulated level ????

I was stuck on compiling the source. My Ubuntu installation gives errors which say that it can't execute binary files. Also, on my primary PC I don't have enough free space on my hard disk to install Ubuntu. So after a while other stuff came through and I stopped trying around.

Whatsoever, I still have Gear 2 which is useless to me and you just motivated me to continue the journey :)

Btw, all help is appreciated :)

gav83collins

I was stuck on compiling the source. My Ubuntu installation gives errors which say that it can't execute binary files. Also, on my primary PC I don't have enough free space on my hard disk to install Ubuntu. So after a while other stuff came through and I stopped trying around.

Whatsoever, I still have Gear 2 which is useless to me and you just motivated me to continue the journey :)

Btw, all help is appreciated :)

I have linux kali set up. On a vm on one of my machines. But I've only just started to learn linux. And my god there is a lot to learn. Once I get my wireless adaptor running in kali. Which I've had a little trouble with. And not a lot of time . I can maybe help. Even if it means installing Ubuntu onto another of my laptops . I just feel a little useless not knowing all the jargon for Linux as yet. Cmd is complicated even with Google help. I have a windows 7 a windows 8 and an Xp machine if it helps

Corstian

Jul 21, 2010
corstianboerman.com
I have linux kali set up. On a vm on one of my machines. But I've only just started to learn linux. And my god there is a lot to learn. Once I get my wireless adaptor running in kali. Which I've had a little trouble with. And not a lot of time . I can maybe help. Even if it means installing Ubuntu onto another of my laptops . I just feel a little useless not knowing all the jargon for Linux as yet. Cmd is complicated even with Google help. I have a windows 7 a windows 8 and an Xp machine if it helps

Practically the only thing you have to know is how the commands within the terminal works. Also, I can recommend you to already start downloading the source from the Samsung Opensource site (Search for SM-R380) as the download is very slow (1.3 Gb at 40 Kb/s). With the source, a guide is provided which exactly tells you how to compile it. Read this guide very carefully when trying to set up your environment!

Furtheron, once we're able to compile it all we can try to modify the source. I really don't know your coding skills but please notice this isn't a project to learn how to code. But for now, lets try to compile it all. :)

gav83collins

ok dude im home, and im downloading, the sm-r380 --- sm r381 source code, i have the standalone sbd, but im gonna need the sdk too i imagine, so il grab that too, now to wait

edit.....

oh i see windows 8 isnt supported, this is my main machine, my win 7, is my wired media centre into my tv/av reciever......

gonna try running in compatibility for win 7 on my win 8 machine, fingers crossed, if not, il create a second linux vm, next to kali, ubuntu of course

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    62.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Corstian

Jul 21, 2010
corstianboerman.com
ok dude im home, and im downloading, the sm-r380 --- sm r381 source code, i have the standalone sbd, but im gonna need the sdk too i imagine, so il grab that too, now to wait

edit.....

oh i see windows 8 isnt supported, this is my main machine, my win 7, is my wired media centre into my tv/av reciever......

gonna try running in compatibility for win 7 on my win 8 machine, fingers crossed, if not, il create a second linux vm, next to kali, ubuntu of course

I'd STRONGLY recommend you to run Ubuntu (12.04) for your build environment to prevent unnecessary hassle.

I'm downloading and installing an Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 build. I guess, and hope, that the errors I got during my first time trying were because I used a x86 build of Ubuntu.

gav83collins

I'd STRONGLY recommend you to run Ubuntu (12.04) for your build environment to prevent unnecessary hassle.

I'm downloading and installing an Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 build. I guess, and hope, that the errors I got during my first time trying were because I used a x86 build of Ubuntu.
, ive had no errors installing the sdk i just toubleshooted compatibility first, and updating the repos, was pretty straight forward, i too am on an amd 64 bit windows,,,,,,,
what issues have you had, did you try the windows sdk b4 u installed linux
im still waiting on my source to download, after 6 hours waiting we had a power shortage here in western australia, typically my luck, ive restarted

Corstian

Jul 21, 2010
corstianboerman.com
, ive had no errors installing the sdk i just toubleshooted compatibility first, and updating the repos, was pretty straight forward, i too am on an amd 64 bit windows,,,,,,,
im still waiting on my source to download, after 6 hours waiting we had a power shortage here in western australia, typically my luck, ive restarted

The problem isn't in installing the Tizen SDK. The problem is in compiling the Tizen source code and the dependencies needed to do this. I have attached the contents of the "HOW_TO_BUILD" file so you can see the steps needed to compile the Tizen source you are currently trying to download. :)

HOW_TO_BUILD
System requirement (Strongly recommended)

Installing Development Tools in Ubuntu
* Open the source list by using text editor.
$ sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list
* Add Tizen tools repository to the source list.
deb http://download.tizen.org/tools/latest-release/Ubuntu_12.04 /
* Resynchronize the package index files from the sources specified in the source list by executing the following command:
$ sudo apt-get update
* Install a development tool by executing the following command:
$ sudo apt-get install gbs

Build root strap setup
* Download build rootstrap and unpack into home directory
$ sudo tar xfz {build rootstrap name} --same-owner
* Change root to the build rootstrap
$ sudo chroot standard-armv7l
* Change account to abuild
$ su abuild

Building a package
* Source packages are in the /home/abuild/rpmbuild/SRPMS
* Build a package with rpmbuild
$ cd /home/abuild/rpmbuild/SRPMS
$ rpmbuild --rebuild {src.rpm name}
* You can find binary rpms in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/RPMS

Install a package
* rpm -ivh {src.rpm name}
* if {src.rpm name} is already installed : rpm -ivh --force {src.rpm name}

Last edited:
Reactions: gav83collins

gav83collins

The problem isn't in installing the Tizen SDK. The problem is in compiling the Tizen source code and the dependencies needed to do this. I have attached the "HOW_TO_BUILD" file so you can see the steps needed to compile the Tizen source you are currently trying to download. :)

HOW_TO_BUILD

* Resynchronize the package index files from the sources specified in the source list by executing the following command:
$ sudo apt-get update

Build root strap setup
$ su abuild

Building a package
* Build a package with rpmbuild
$ cd /home/abuild/rpmbuild/SRPMS
$ rpmbuild --rebuild {src.rpm name}
* You can find binary rpms in /home/abuild/rpmbuild/RPMS

Install a package
* rpm -ivh {src.rpm name}
* if {src.rpm name} is already installed : rpm -ivh --force {src.rpm name}

thanks, but thats ubuntu, unless absolutley neccessary, i want to use windows 8, i dont think my machine will handle ubuntu with my linux kali on a vm, and all my cloud, n media editing software aswell, il just configure the enviroment variables to make it work..........hows your compiling going

Corstian

Jul 21, 2010
corstianboerman.com
thanks, but thats ubuntu, unless absolutley neccessary, i want to use windows 8, i dont think my machine will handle ubuntu with my linux kali on a vm, and all my cloud, n media editing software aswell, il just configure the enviroment variables to make it work..........hows your compiling going

Well crap! So I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 as VM (Which runs pretty amazing btw) and I still have the same errors. Le me trying to dig deeper into the operating system to find the problem of this all. (I'm also not really into UNIX OS's) Turns out I / we all need a 32 bit operating system to be able to use the binary files.

Running the file xargs command on the xargs file gave this result:

Code:
xargs: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.25, stripped

Whatsoever, I gotta start downloading a 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 iso.

gav83collins

Well crap! So I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64 as VM (Which runs pretty amazing btw) and I still have the same errors. Le me trying to dig deeper into the operating system to find the problem of this all. (I'm also not really into UNIX OS's) Turns out I / we all need a 32 bit operating system to be able to use the binary files.

Running the file xargs command on the xargs file gave this result:

Code:
xargs: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.25, stripped

Whatsoever, I gotta start downloading a 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 iso.

again thats ubuntu, with windows 64 win 8, you can runx86 0n 64 bit, dynamically, and also sys compat to any previous version, if you get errors, change the correct enviroment variable path

you do your way, il try mine, between us, we should get somewhere

i gotta be honest reading up on this app making, standalone, or otherwise, is blowing my mind, im not the brightest spark

Corstian

Jul 21, 2010
corstianboerman.com
again thats ubuntu, with windows 64 win 8, you can runx86 0n 64 bit, dynamically, and also sys compat to any previous version, if you get errors, change the correct enviroment variable path

you do your way, il try mine, between us, we should get somewhere

i gotta be honest reading up on this app making, standalone, or otherwise, is blowing my mind, im not the brightest spark

So I tried multiple editions of Ubuntu and still no luck in compiling the source. How's it going on Windows?

gav83collins

So I tried multiple editions of Ubuntu and still no luck in compiling the source. How's it going on Windows?

My source download keeps failing. Can you mirror it to a fat er site
Like Google drive . Your own and share the folder to me. Australian Internet is ****. I'm currently dev testing the gear 2 Cam app on the s3 s5 and s5 over multiple android versions and builds 4.1.2, 4.2.2, 4.3, 4.4.x - aosp, Aokp, miui, cyanogen. Slim. Pa etc

EmptyMind

Jul 6, 2014
When running the command "su abuild", I got the error message "bash: /bin/su: cannot execute binary file".
I use a vm of ubuntu 12.04 64bit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the most of you probably know the Gear 2's sources are released by Samsung over here: http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=r381

Are there amongst you who already started the development of custom software for this device or who have experience with Tizen's source code?

What I want to know right now:

How do I compile these sources?

Found information:

How can I push the compiled code to the Gear 2?

Found information:

Where do I have to start modding these sources to eventually be able to create an open platform for the Gear 2?

All help is appreciated!

We probably have to see if we can even flash anything without modifications
    We probably have to see if we can even flash anything without modifications

This weekend I'm going to experiment with the source to see if I can compile it. I'll keep ya updated on the progress!

The problem isn't in installing the Tizen SDK. The problem is in compiling the Tizen source code and the dependencies needed to do this. I have attached the contents of the "HOW_TO_BUILD" file so you can see the steps needed to compile the Tizen source you are currently trying to download. :)

HOW_TO_BUILD

$ sudo apt-get update

Build root strap setup
    $ su abuild

Building a package