USB OTG cable with downward right-angle

Search This thread

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
when I use a USB keyboard with my XZU, the cable sticks out "up" or to the left when phone in landscape mode

IMG_20131126_030430.jpg

I haven't been able to find a right-angled USB OTG cable where it turns the other way

can anyone help?
thanks!

Last edited:

Steven How

Apr 14, 2011

Attachments

• 1408828217578.jpg
    1408828217578.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

joxer

Jul 17, 2007
www.egn.com.au
a little bit off topic but I have bought 2 USB OTG cables off eBay and neither works with my Z ultra, but they do work with the wife's Note 3. Does anyone know if there's a setting I'm maybe forgetting to turn on or if I need a specific cable?

There's no power at all going to the devices I connect, have tried everything from keyboards, thumb drives and dualshock controllers.

Visa Declined

Sep 17, 2012
Oklahoma City
a little bit off topic but I have bought 2 USB OTG cables off eBay and neither works with my Z ultra, but they do work with the wife's Note 3. Does anyone know if there's a setting I'm maybe forgetting to turn on or if I need a specific cable?

There's no power at all going to the devices I connect, have tried everything from keyboards, thumb drives and dualshock controllers.
The one i bought from Amazon a year ago works perfect, it was $1.99

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
I didn't do anything special to get USB OTG working.
It could be that your USB device is drawing too much power, which a Note could manage but the XZU can't?

jess91

Nov 9, 2014
I don't (yet) have this phone, so maybe I'm missing something...
Why not flip the phone the other way, so the USB port is on the top?

zubeedubs

Mar 31, 2014
trento, italy
the fully rectangular version is from when not all devices supported otg so they made them that way as a sort of failsafe to stop unsupported devices being tampered with (i personally believe it was to coin in further on cable replacements on high end devices)
if you have one of the old rectangular otg cables laying about just carefully file away at the edges a little bit until it fits smoothly (dont force it!!)...

tested with an old nokia n8 cable on my lg g2 and it works just fine!!!

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
I don't (yet) have this phone, so maybe I'm missing something...
Why not flip the phone the other way, so the USB port is on the top?

the book cover/case I use has a crease so it can act as a stand, and the phone ends up held with the USB port bottom/right. It then leaves the mag charge port free for power.