Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
I'm liking Windows Mobile "XDA Live"
as the name in honor of all XDA-Dev has done for us.

I'll be keeping this post updated with progress/news.

Understand that I can not release this Rom without the approval of my source, they need to protect their livelihood. The second I'm given the go ahead, the floodgate with open but until then I simply can't unless I want to burn a good source who put a lot of trust in me.

My primary goal is to get an uncluttered Rom that is useful from the start, think Faria-lite..

If everyone is good and doesn't keep me from getting this done, I will release the scripts that I am using to build & rebuild this rom easily so that each of you can confidently do exactly as I am. I can release the scripts maybe this weekend regardless of the status of the Rom because they are independent of the Rom you are cooking.

Quick FAQ:

Q: Can we get a "Clean" version of the Rom.

A: When released there will be several packages:
  1. "Clean OS" Rom with only HTC-X and Comm Button Toggle Vibrate Fix integrated.
  2. "Hit the Ground Running" Rom with several useful apps embedded (you will be able to disable everything that is embedded) and operator Customizations within easy reach.
  3. Hermes Rom Cookbook, which will include the scripts and tools I am using to do this and instructions on how to apply these to any Hermes Rom.
  4. .nb file only releases for those who want to only swap out the OS ('cause we like our splash screens)
Q: Will WMXL (Windows Mobile XDA Live) fix my corrupted radio bootloader or otherwise bricked Hermes?

A: If the other tools here can't do it then don't bet the farm on WMXL doing it. The Flashing tools are still the same, no magic pill here.

Q: Can you Add XXXX or why not use ZZZZ instead of the App you chose.

A: I have been selective of the apps I am embedding. They may not always be the best at what they do but they are easy to use and small. I will not install 5 different apps with the same function. By having one or two apps you will use embedded you will save plenty of Program Memory to be able to comfortably install the Task Manager, MP3 player or Coffee Temp Monitor of your liking.

Q: Kyphur you are such a Guru, how can I be like you?

A: Remember that my head is in the clouds on this one only because I'm standing on the shoulders' of giants. This project owes it's very existence to many other contributers here and they deserve as much if not more of the cudos than I do. The is a team effort, please support everyone who made this possible. (See my post here). I have been a member her for only 15 months give or take but I have spent more time reading than doing or posting.

Q: If you embed a program into the Rom how can I remove it (to save memory).

A: You can't remove file that are in the Rom. You can remove the Shortcuts to the programs. Again I will repeat that programs in the Rom do not consume any memory. If you don't want the program simply ignore it and it will not harm you.

Q: I have more questions...

A: Read the thread.

Current Status:

I have removed the list ofToday (.tsk) Themes for this Rom. Click here for Images of all the Themes I have collected. I've decided that instead of embedding them all, I will remove all but the default Crossbow Theme and maybe create a custom WMXL (Windows Mobile XDA Live) Theme.

The rest of the collection will be packaged together so everyne can pick and choose their themes. If we figure out how to create a custom Ext_Rom.nd then I will put them there along with Carrier Data & MMS Settings.

I have integrated the following Applications:
  • Dictionary Editor
  • HTweakC v2.1
  • MS Hearts for PPC
  • PHM Registry Editor ** Will not be replaced by Total Commander...
  • SMS Backup
  • StartClean
  • VJCandelaLite (Flashlight)
I know everyone has their own list of apps they'd like to see but I have chosed these because they are small, simple to use and ADD functionality to the Rom.

I have integrated the following Registry Fixes:
  • By default only the Date Plugin is enabled (and it is set to a single line).
  • The Today Screen says "XDA Live" and the about screen shows " - XDA" after the OS Build Number.
  • Pressing & Holding the Comm Button toggles the between Vibrate & Normal.
  • PDAViet Memory Leak Fix is Applied.
  • Disabled the warning for Unsigned Applications (Application Lock)
Misc:
  • I have added two "Classic RingTones, (OldPhone-US.wma and OldPhone-UK.wav) for those of us who want to get away from the music and chirping Ringers.
  • I have removed all carrier customizations, no need to soft reset to avoid customization!
Current Known Issues:
  • The only real issue is that I am bound by a promise to my source to not distribute this Rom until the Carrier releases it or I can get ALL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION removed from it. trust me, I am working on it but there is absolutely no room for errors. Ironically the Rom seems more stable since I've modified it than it was when I received it.
Goals to work on:
  • Embed TCPMP v0.71RC and Codex Files.
Dropped or moved to low priority:
  • Voice Command Abandoned... It was proving too troublesome and there are too many reasons (language and dialing rule differences) to not embed it.
  • Dropped embedding a replacement Calculator, two many personal preferences, they are all lightweight and we can each add our fav later.
As for adjusting how the memory is used, if someone knows how to do that I'm all ears but if it requires shifting things in the image and hex editing it then I think we might hit the NAND Block Issue again.

BTW, this truly is a group effort.
  • Without pof & team unlocking I never would have even gone looking for the base Rom.
  • aChef by aklok_hk is doing the heavy lifting.
  • Sleuth, ShogunMark, Faria ViJay555, Bepe, Maimach have all been instrumental either directly or indirectly in this project.
  • Des and the SSPL was another step that got me to this point.
  • Of course there are all of the guys who have been doing this before I bought my first PPC Phone, they blazed the trail I simply walk behind them.
  • Finally, I can't forget my unnamed source. They took a big change passing this along to me. Without that trust I'd be cooking AKU 3.3 right now.

Last edited:

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
Hmm, but what you need these themes for? I guess it would be cool if there was no unnecessary stuff you can always download later.

Today themes are small, I would like to include the HTC Standard as well as Carrier Themes for at least the major carriers just as a way to allow us to brand this Rom without having to use any of our storage memory.

Initial Rom will not have any added apps, just clean & stable though I might embed The Hermes Tweaker.

Last edited:

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
Plans to release...

First I will confirm that this IS NOT an AKU 3.3 Rom. :D

I have successfully removed most of the identifying info that could lead back to my source (I believe).

Now I'm adding a few things back in like the Press & Hold Comm button for Vibrate Toggle Fix, Today Themes for Carriers and my favorite Ringtone (OldPhone.wma).

I am waiting for a response from my source regarding the info I've cleaned out (I want their approval before I share as I don't want to burn my source).

I hope that this will all happen in less than 1 week.

Last edited:

mixmaven

Mar 8, 2005

Attachments

• kyphur.jpg
    kyphur.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:

strikeIII

Jun 18, 2005
Chicago, IL.
now that people are cooking up some ROMs now, maybe someone can make seperate .cab files for different carriers with all the data settings in it so we can load our internet settings right away after we install cooked ROMs...

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
A good thing to add to the ExtROM COULD be a feature i noticed on an early iMate rom i used on my hermes. When it was going ahead with the "customisation..." screen it would ask what carrier you are on?! Then IT would apply the appropriate GPRS/MMS settings?!

May be just laziness on my part but would be a COOL feature.

trion

Sep 24, 2006
Zutphen
A good thing to add to the ExtROM COULD be a feature i noticed on an early iMate rom i used on my hermes. When it was going ahead with the "customisation..." screen it would ask what carrier you are on?! Then IT would apply the appropriate GPRS/MMS settings?!

May be just laziness on my part but would be a COOL feature.

I'm at work now, but from the dutch Qtek site www.qtek.nl you can download a cab file with all the settings from the dutch telecom providers.

If you can't find it I can upload it when I get home tonight.

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
Would be good If we could collect all the Operator cabs and maybe put them on the ftp?

Probably better than clogging up a ROM with them!?

(LOL il get to work TRYING to track down the O2 one)

dutty

Apr 28, 2004
Settings Files

Here's Imate and Telstra .tsk, if still needed. Thanks for your great work!

here's the dopod 838 pro .tsk

Does the new os actually close programs or still leave them open when you tap the x-button? If so, what about adding HTC_X-Button.cab?

People can always turn it off if they don't want it.

I also load the two tools below, I think just about everyone uses psshutxp and dictionary editor allows you to get rid of those annoying words you misspell and your phone remembers.... They are all pretty small, but extremely useful.

-mix

here goes the official o2 germany tsk file and the o2 germany internet-flatrate wap settings plus the o2 germany mms settings.

if you need a quicktool that can select what to install i can whip that up in c real quick ;)

oli, i wouldnt cook the gps driver just yet.. we need to play with it on wm6.0 to see if its ok..

Attachments

• O2.zip
    30.6 KB · Views: 47
  • o2mms_internet.zip
    53.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:

jammerlappen

Jan 18, 2007
question besides:

is it necessary to implement vc? especially if the us version isn`t able to deal with with commands in other languages!
anyway, sounds awesome!!!

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
Are you installing apps via ExtRom? I'd suggest against having the apps installed as part of the base rom, some of these apps get updated on a fairly regular basis......

As you can see, my list of imbedded apps is intentionally short:

1-Calc Lite (replaced Calculator Shortcut in Start Menu)
HTweakC v2.1
PHM Registry Editor
SMS Backup
StartClean
Microsoft Voice Command v1.6 (US)

HTweakC might see some updates but that would be easy to install the new version over and only loose would be the benefit of saving storage Rom.

By embedding these into the Rom we save several Megs of Storage RAM.

Okay, I'll also confirm this is WM6:eek:

Also, added Telsta.tsk, i-mate Grass.tsk, i-mate Swoosh.tsk.

I will not be adding other apps to this Rom. If someone wants to gather carrier Data Connections Cabfiles I would be happy to embedd them directly into the Rom (these settings seldom change).

I think I will add the 8525 eyboard Fix Cab file (but not install it) into the Rom.

Currently working on an XML error in the section of code that would place Voice Command into the Rom.

The other apps are all considered stable versions.

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
question besides:

is it necessary to implement vc? especially if the us version isn`t able to deal with with commands in other languages!
anyway, sounds awesome!!!

Once I have it in good I can easily generate a parallel Rom without it (I am writing scripts to run the tools which build the Rom so skipping sections is trivial.

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
I myself don't need PHM Registry Editor since I'm using Total Commander with its integrated registry editor plugin, which I find easier to navigate the registry. And I don't need yet-another-way-too-simple-calculator and would prefer a scientific one with RPN (I always hit the wrong keys on non-RPN-calculators ;) ), like RayRPN.

But if having his preferences on the device is the price to pay for using this "very special rom"... well, as long as we're able to hide them from the start menu/programs menu, I'll gladly pay it ;)

You can delete the shortcuts for anthing you don't like.

Personally I use Resco for Registry & File operations but PHM is simply and requires not install so you have Registry Editing out of the box.

I'll look at RayRPN, I just hate the stupid PPC Calc (still same as the old CE Calc). I love the tip calculator and unit conversion functions of 1-calc.

Again once the integration is done, I can easily generate a 100% plain Rom with no carrier tsk files, images or settings. I figue I'll make use of the time while I wait for approval to release....

vador

Dec 20, 2006
Palmela
Please, if you read the thread you will see that I am waiting for my source to approve the Rom (to be sure I have removed everything that could trace it back even close to them - got to protect the source).

I am hoping to have it out in days (no more than 1 week).

Hi kyphur,

I think you can consider to put in the rom the ext rom unhide! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.