Touch screen sensitivity weirdness

Search This thread

greyhulk

Jan 14, 2009
Brand new Nexus 7 here. I have noticed that any action requiring a touch and hold, such as moving an app or widget is often not recognized and I have to try several times. On the other hand, other things seem to be hyper sensitive, like the SwiftKey keyboard where I regularly get double presses.

Is it just me, or are other people experiencing this?

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
Brand new Nexus 7 here. I have noticed that any action requiring a touch and hold, such as moving an app or widget is often not recognized and I have to try several times. On the other hand, other things seem to be hyper sensitive, like the SwiftKey keyboard where I regularly get double presses.

Is it just me, or are other people experiencing this?
I'm having the issue too. Also when using Swype and when resting my finger on an opened browser page and all of a sudden with one finger it'll zoom in real quick. I think I might exchange tomorrow. I've been waiting to see if this is software or hardware issue. I've also had the chrome browser just lock up.

ezzkmo

Jul 18, 2012
Same. Takes me a couple tries to hold down on the home screen to get the wallpaper option to come up for example. My initial guess is that it's software related...maybe a sensitivity issue? Like it wants to scroll left/right the second you press down which then negates any long-touch pressed-in options until you let go and try again. If that makes sense.

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
Same. Takes me a couple tries to hold down on the home screen to get the wallpaper option to come up for example. My initial guess is that it's software related...maybe a sensitivity issue? Like it wants to scroll left/right the second you press down which then negates any long-touch pressed-in options until you let go and try again. If that makes sense.

Hopefully this is just software. If there aren't too many having the same issue then it could be hardware.. Are you guys thinking about exchanging for new one?

ezzkmo

Jul 18, 2012
Hopefully this is just software. If there aren't too many having the same issue then it could be hardware.. Are you guys thinking about exchanging for new one?

Right now I'm not. Everything else seems fine. I really think it's just 4.3 or the new screen or something being more sensitive than the old N7. I just tried it now and about 9 of 10 times i got the wallpaper option to come up, but I was paying attention. So who knows! :confused:

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
Right now I'm not. Everything else seems fine. I really think it's just 4.3 or the new screen or something being more sensitive than the old N7. I just tried it now and about 9 of 10 times i got the wallpaper option to come up, but I was paying attention. So who knows! :confused:
I was just reading in another post in the q&a section and someone with similar issue exchanged and new one didn't have the same screen issues. So, I may just exchange tomorrow.

The111

Jul 4, 2010
Brand new Nexus 7 here. I have noticed that any action requiring a touch and hold, such as moving an app or widget is often not recognized and I have to try several times.

Same but I've never owned a tablet before. I thought it might just be hard to hold my finger still on such a big screen where I have the finger extended further.

bckrupps

Sep 24, 2010
I have it also. I honestly do not think its hardware related as it was similar to my nook HD+ works great on games but keyboard typing and web page links are spotty. Could be wrong but my personal opinion is its an android thing still lol

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

to follow up i rooted and installed custome recovery. my screen was registering touches terrible and i was getting frustrated especially within dolphin browser ect. i booted into recovery and cleared dalvik cache and it fixed it right up for me anyway

negroplasty

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix
I have it also. I honestly do not think its hardware related as it was similar to my nook HD+ works great on games but keyboard typing and web page links are spotty. Could be wrong but my personal opinion is its an android thing still lol

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

to follow up i rooted and installed custome recovery. my screen was registering touches terrible and i was getting frustrated especially within dolphin browser ect. i booted into recovery and cleared dalvik cache and it fixed it right up for me anyway

No problems over here... Are you guys in very humid climates? Maybe that could be making a difference if the screen is over/under-sensitive? Or maybe just bad hardware / connections? My screen is working flawlessly, that's all I know.

Apocaliptic

Nov 12, 2012
I' m having the same problem, especially on the chrome browser and the keyboard. I'm returning mine today, also because my screen has a black line all the screen from top to bottom.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
Same problem here, but doesn't happen too often. Running nova launcher. Sensitivity is otherwise great.

Sent from my Nexus 7

greyhulk

Jan 14, 2009
I have confirmed this issue on both stock launcher and Nova launcher. I have not tried Apex.

Sometimes touch and hold will work fine, but other times it's frustratingly bad. Seems like I'm not the only one, which makes me think that swapping it probably won't make a difference. I think I'll just hold out for a software update.

ATGAdmin

Feb 25, 2012
Western NY State
www.nyspctech.com
I experienced it after initial rooting, but since taking the Supersu update I've not experienced it again. Not sure how many of you are experiencing this on a stock OS, or not. ;)

Sent using XDA premium on my Nexus 7 (2) tablet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ive exchanged my device twice already and each one has had this problem

i really run into these issues with chrome and its normal otherwie
    Disagree. Mine works flawlessly on newest update

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Same here

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
    Try a different launcher. I'm on apex with no problems

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    So I got one from a Best buy on Friday, and it took me till almost midnight before I troubleshooted that it seemed that there were gaps in the touch sensitivity.

The end result being if I had an icon picked up and was dragging it across the screen, if I hit a spot it would think I took my finger off and drop it. As well any type of swipe typing wouldn't work as I couldn't complete a line between letters without a break in the line.
    There were 3 apps that I used for testing, two just trace the contact point so you can see gaps, the other had a whole suite of other things as well.

Went in Saturday first thing and exchanged it with no trouble, and once the setup and app install was done the first thing was to test the new one.

No issues. What this means in the bigger picture of the overall release... No clue. But thought it was a good data point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    In noticing the same thing. I downloaded that program and it seems to show 1-2 extra key presses when I do the thumb thing.

Swipe is iffy about 10% of the time. Not happy as my screen is otherwise perfect and I love this tablet. I'm an Apple guy and my last android was an att captivate.

Is this a software or hardware problem.

Also I unlocked the boot loader and am root. Issues with a return???

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

I returned to best buy unlocked and just deleted super su app and then did factory reset. No issues from bb

Where exactly are you reading the serial no from?

The box or the about tablet in settings

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2