[Resolved] [Q] Help with Galaxy Mini 2 partition

Search This thread

Sakimichi

May 11, 2014
sakimichi.wordpress.com
After installing this Cyanogen Mod
I got two internal storage in my Samsung Galaxy mini 2 S6500D. It was suppose to have 4gb internal memory but in settings > storage it shows the first Internal Storage partition to have 0.90gb and the second Internal storage having 1.84gb. Now that the first partition is almost full I get errors of the lack of internal memory.

I tried partitioning it myself by following this instruction from this thread.
chose Recovery => advanced => Partition SD card
if sdcard have
1G => 128mb
2G =>256mb
4g=>512mb
8g=>1G
and the partition 2 is swap
you can chose 128 or 256
reboot and check in pc
but I modified it a bit, instead of selecting "Partition SD card" I chose "Partition Internal SD Card'.
I rebooted the phone and checked the storage again but I found out that my external SD Card was partitioned instead.
Any help with this please? :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

Sakimichi

May 11, 2014
sakimichi.wordpress.com
[A] Do not partition internal SD Card

Never mind, I figured it out after looking it up in scattered tutorials everywhere.

Looks like 'Partitioning Internal SD card' was a wrong move. I'm just glad only my external SD card was partitioned.
I followed a tutorial here in XDA which was so wrong by the way and ended up damaging my SD card, what once was 4gb turned to 1GB because the instructions were wrong.

I followed this tutorial instead:
  1. First you need to correctly partition external SD Card:How to Partition SD Card and Use Link2SD in any Android Phone with Screenshots. Do note that you must use a memory card reader when doing so. There are built-in memory card reader in todays laptops. Find a pushable compartment and a fake adapter pops out. Or buy a card reader.
  2. Because I used a modified version of CM, you should use ext3 in step 8

Problems encountered & how to fix it:
  • When my 4gb memory was wrongly formatted and an error pops out in your android saying external SD card is empty. In my experience, there were partitions that had the wrong format so it's best to reformat it using your android phone. Android has a built-in SD card fixing module, so it's best if you tap the error to format the card and start over again.
  • Do not format the INTERNAL memory...the only thing you could do is expand it using Link2SD.

Last edited:

floddy

Apr 5, 2013
Timisoara
So, you're saying that for accesing 1.8GB partition not mounted in Cyanogen Mod, I only need to use Link2SD?
Or do I need to repartition my internal HDD...? Do you have any link to a good tutorial about that?
Thanks

Sakimichi

May 11, 2014
sakimichi.wordpress.com
So, you're saying that for accesing 1.8GB partition not mounted in Cyanogen Mod, I only need to use Link2SD?
Or do I need to repartition my internal HDD...? Do you have any link to a good tutorial about that?
Thanks

Is there such a thing as an unmounted internal memory card? I haven't encountered that :<

Here's more info:
You don't need to use Link2SD if you don't have an external memory card.
From what I googled, never ever modify internal memory. Hence the use of external memory card to expand internal memory using Link2SD.

The reason why I said not to modify internal memory is because I tried reformatting it without using a memory card reader and it rendered my memory as unreadable format..so yeah, I guess you could say you must never tamper with internal memory.
You must use an external memory card and a memory card reader then plug it to your computer if you reformat it because this separates your memory card from the running android device. If you keep your external memory card inside your phone, this will also corrupt your external memory card.

You only need to expand internal memory if your device complained for the lack of storage..never make changes of you device if theres nothing wrong with it :D
The only thing you need to partition is your external memory card.
Then Link2SD will "link" files from your phone to your external SD card (it moves some files to your external SD card), tricking your phone to think that it has more space.

If you need a tutorial I posted the best links in my tutorial in the second portion.
It also explains stuff not discussed here :)

Last edited:

floddy

Apr 5, 2013
Timisoara
As you might know, S6500D comes with an internal 4GB drive, partitioned in 2 parts:0.9GB and 1.8GB.

Once with the instalation of CWM 6.0.4.5 (if I'm not wrong), Android (KitKay 4.4.2 Omnirom) only sees 0.9GB partition. At least in my situation, this is the case. I cant acces 1.8'GB partition.

Yes, I do have an external SD card of 8GB, which Android see it as an internal partition, but many of the apps are not working because "it can't find'" SD card, which I suppose is 1.8GB partition.

And my question is if Link2SD help me see 1.8GB partition. Or at least help apps to use external sd (mounted as internat sdcard1) for their cache.

Am I too complicated?

Sakimichi

May 11, 2014
sakimichi.wordpress.com
As you might know, S6500D comes with an internal 4GB drive, partitioned in 2 parts:0.9GB and 1.8GB.

Once with the instalation of CWM 6.0.4.5 (if I'm not wrong), Android (KitKay 4.4.2 Omnirom) only sees 0.9GB partition. At least in my situation, this is the case. I cant access 1.8'GB partition.

I lost the link but a user said that never touch that 1.8 gb partition partition because is the unrooted side of the memory. It's something that links you and the applications without touching the rooted side (the first partition). You can't use 1.8gb to expand internal memory. It stays that way.

Yes, I do have an external SD card of 8GB, which Android see it as an internal partition, but many of the apps are not working because "it can't find'" SD card, which I suppose is 1.8GB partition.
The usable internal memory of Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 is just really small (2GB) . Like I've previously said, the 1.8gb is "reserved" for you and your app and 0.9GB is for your app to work on with the android system, thats why your android is constantly complaining for more space because let's face it..0.9 gb is too damn small. In screenshot #2 below I added where the remaining 2gb from Mini2's 4gb internal memory is used on.
Now about your external memory.
Link2SD will trick your phone into thinking that you have another internal memory by using your mounted external memory card. So merely reformatting the external card won't work, it needs the Link2SD app to register such data to your phone.

Or at least help apps to use external sd (mounted as internat sdcard1) for their cache.
Yes. As long as that you formatted it properly as Ext3 Primary and link it using Link2SD.

This screenshot is my whole storage: I added some explanation. Maybe I misunderstood what you ment, I truly apologize.
1.) Settings > Storage
DJ9U8aR.png

2.) Storage information in Link2SD
Now in case you are wondering where is the remaining 2GB internal memory in the 4GB Scamsung promised, here's a screenshot of Link2SD along with the partitioned memory.
u8RejB6.png

Some added info:
  • Do not use Link2SD on system apps like Google Play and etc.

Last edited:

floddy

Apr 5, 2013
Timisoara
I tried to partition my external 8GB SD card, with minitool partition wizard , but my phone only sees the first 5GB partition. Link2SD says I don't have an extrernal sd card . I created both partition as primary, as is said in the tutorial.

Maybe I should say that I'm using CWM v6.0.4.7 .
In recovery mode/advanced, I can find "Partition SD card" option.

Any other suggestion?