[Q] Xperia Arc, Unlocked Bootloader, Custom Kernel/rom, No 3g/2g data, please help.

Search This thread

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
Hi everyone,

First my phone:
Xperia Arc
Unlocked Bootloader
Arc-Night kernel (latest release)
Arconium ICS (Latest release)

My Problem:

After flashing the new kernel and installing the new ROM everything worked fine, and on boot I was greeted with the usual SE setup app. I asked it to fetch the internet and mms setting and sure enough they were received and reported as being installed. I checked the APN screen and they are listed and are identical to the ones listed on my carriers website.

However, with WIFI turned off I cannot connected to playstore, internet etc and do not have any kind of data icon/symbol in the status bar.

I have tried:
disabling then enabling data via settings.
enabling then disabling airplane mode
restarting the phone
clearing all data/cache/dalvik then re installing rom
I have checked I have the correct baseband as per Devs recommendations

I have not tried:
yelling at it.

If someone can please suggest any possible solutions or even links to relevant materials.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Hope someone can help!

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
OK, just tried as you suggested and installed doomkernel v4 then re-installed arcnight, no luck, still no data connectivity....and I lost wifi. haha.

To be honest, I'm not fussed what kernel/ROM i'm running i'm just exploring my options.

Can you recommend a kernal/rom combo that is known to fully work on the arc?

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
Flash it like this:
1. Flash DooMKernel
2. Go into recovery
3. Wipe cache + dalvik cache
4. Install Arconium ICS 1.1
5. Reboot and be happy

That's how I did it. I didn't wipe my data and settings...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ajgftw

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
Flash it like this:
1. Flash DooMKernel
2. Go into recovery
5. Reboot and be happy

And your 3g/2g data works fine? I will follow your instructions and get back to you.

I am also considering the apn details could be incorrect on the carriers website as I have experienced the same problem with a few roms now. Every time I follow the devs instructions to the letter and ensure to add any recommended modules and still no data connection. I really wish I had a different sim from another carrier to test this.

Flo95

Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, works fine.
I upgraded directly from Arconium 8.1 with correct apns, so I didn't have to download them on ICS

Reactions: ajgftw

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
Yeah, works fine.
I upgraded directly from Arconium 8.1 with correct apns, so I didn't have to download them on ICS

Ok, now running:
Baseband 70
Stock Kernel with CWM (chose over doomkernel because of the included modules)
arconium ics

Once again all running perfectly excluding data connection. Considering the previous apn settings didn't work, I downloaded the new ones via the setup app and they reported as being installed.

still no data however.

Considering I just executed a complete re-install of everything possible (is there anything else i can flash and replace?) I'm thinking this may be a problem with my carrier/apn settings rather then the ROM/Kernel.

I really appreciate your help so far and if you (or anyone) can think of anything else I can try?

I'm going to start a new question thread regarding apn settings for my carrier (Crazy Johns/Vodafone) to ensure I'm using up to date and known working settings.

ajgftw

Apr 20, 2012
Perth
UPDATE

Ok, now running:
Baseband 70
Stock Kernel with CWM (chose over doomkernel because of the included modules)
arconium ics

Once again all running perfectly excluding data connection. Considering the previous apn settings didn't work, I downloaded the new ones via the setup app and they reported as being installed.

still no data however.

Considering I just executed a complete re-install of everything possible (is there anything else i can flash and replace?) I'm thinking this may be a problem with my carrier/apn settings rather then the ROM/Kernel.

I really appreciate your help so far and if you (or anyone) can think of anything else I can try?

I'm going to start a new question thread regarding apn settings for my carrier (Crazy Johns/Vodafone) to ensure I'm using up to date and known working settings.

oK, i borrowed a sim card from my sister, who is on a completely different carrier and after setting it up....it had a 3g data connection! so the problem, logically, lies with my carrier and the apn settings.

So handy tip for anyone reading this in the future....if your having conectivity issues, check a different sim card in your phone!

Thanks for everyones help on this :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Haven't tried either the rom or kernel but try booting the stock ics kernel first, or doomlords ics kernel v4, then back to your current one.
    Flash it like this:
    1. Flash DooMKernel
    2. Go into recovery
    5. Reboot and be happy

Yeah, works fine.