Charger specs

Search This thread

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
I'm looking for an extra charger for my nc. What I need to know is what is the mah output of the stock changer so I can get one that had the same rating. Our can someone link me to a cheap stock charger.

mrintegrity

Dec 3, 2010
The output is 5volts / 1.9 Amperes.

Edit, it is written on the charger btw, you could probably have checked that your self :).

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
Where can I get a charger with the same specs? I don't want to spend $20 but if I have to I will just buy another stock one.

I have a 5v 700mah charger that I bought for my phone. Will that work or is the rating to low?

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
I just tried the charger I have that works with my phone and it wont charge my NC. When I plug it in nothing happens it doesn't even recognize its plugged in

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
There are no spec listed for that charger so it could be a 700mah or it could be a 1.9a charger.

captfoss

Feb 7, 2009
Norman
The nook charges when connected to a usb socket on a computer, which provides 500ma as a high power device. So your 1000ma charger is twice as good as using a computer.

In order to get 1900 ma, the nook isn't using stock usb stuff in the charger... but normal usb works just fine because, well, the standard requires it to...

4000 mAh battery should charge fully in 2 hours on the nook charger, 4 hours on the htc charger, or 8 hours on a computer...

Sent from my NookColor using XDA app

Bimboy

Dec 5, 2006
Good to note that there's a bug on the NC that makes it appear that it's not charging, when connected via USB connection, but it really does charge.

ph00ny

Aug 10, 2008
New York
regular micro usb chargers from cell phones will charge the nook even when it says it's not charging.

Last edited:

PJE66

Dec 5, 2010
I just tried the charger I have that works with my phone and it wont charge my NC. When I plug it in nothing happens it doesn't even recognize its plugged in

The NC will charge from my Droid's power adaptor even though it does not show it to be working. It will take a lot longer to charge with a standard 0.5A USB power adaptor.

RoboRay

Nov 25, 2010
In theory, it should take about 4 times as long to charge from standard USB instead of the B&N charger.

DatterBoy

Aug 17, 2010
It does work. It's just charging slow so you can't necessarily tell. Also. There will be no indicators on the nook to show that it is charging but i'm pretty sure it is. Leave it plugged in overnight and see.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nook charging cable is NOT standard micro USB. If you use standard cable, it will charge with 500mA max and no charging indicator on the screen. The only way to have it fast charge is to use Nook cable.
    The charger controller inside Nook looks for Dp and Dm pin at~2V. The resistance between these pins is less than 200Ohm. My DIY charger is made from a powered USB hub with 5V 2A supply. I short Dp and Dm together and tied to 2V with voltage divider resistors. (By the way, Try this at your own risk!!!)
    The answer is it depends. Here's the options:

NC, NC cable, NC charger - Life's good, 1.8A charging rate
    NC, NC cable, other charger - Depends on the profile and circuitry of the charger, could be 500mA, 1.5A, or 1.8A.
    NC, other cable, NC charger - You'd better use a heavier gauge wire, because even though you're not using the NC cable, USB spec says that the device may request up to 1.8A if available. NC will decide what it wants here.
    NC, other cable, other charger - You'll get 500mA, 1.5A, or 1.8A, depending on the charger. Again, be careful of amperage on the cable
    other device, NC cable, NC charger - *should* work, but I don't recommend it. I think ground carries a high voltage for some reason, since I've seen my USB hubs resetting and sparks coming from the connector at times
    other device, NC cable, other charger - this really should work, but you're not going to get faster charge times, since again it depends on the output of the charger. I'd still be cautious since the NC cable has something wierd going on.
    other device, other cable, NC charger - Go for it. I've gotten 1 hr full charge times on my phone with this method. You MUST use a heavy enough gauge USB cable.
    other device, other cable, other charger - depends on device draw and charger profile mode