[Game] Shift: one of the best WinMo puzzle games now on android device near you

Search This thread

mr_deimos

Nov 22, 2007
Some of you might remember the free windows mobile game Shift. It was really easy to play, but extremely addictive.
I waited for an android port for more than a year, and finally when i didn't see it ported i decided to do it myself :) So, no matter if you spent long hours with this game, of if you never heard of it before, here's a chance to play it on your phone/tablet/ereader/microvave oven or other android device ;)

The game mechanics and scoring system are identical to windows mobile version, however the graphics and coding were redone from scratch since i didn't have sources for the original shift anymore.

I don't have an android market account and it's not likely i'll be getting one any time soon, so grab it here:
http://slideme.org/en/application/shift
c1ccab5b79aa25d0344d5c959be1292b.png

Or in the post attachment.

And some screenies:
shift_screrenshot1.png
shift_screrenshot2.png

One day, i'll have to make a youtube video of the game, but i didn't get around to this so far.

Initially, i developed it for myself, but now that i'm satisfied with the results i see no reason not to share it. After all we all love and use freeware apps ;)

It's my first android app and i was learning java, android api and the engine i was using as i went, so it might not be exactly perfectly optimized. But it does work smoothly on a G1, and the graphics turned out rather nice. It also scales properly to other screen sizes (though graphics won't be as crisp of course): I tested it on a motorola milestone and the android emulator with a few other screen resolutions.

I don't really plan to develop it much further, since i'm rather satisfied with it. Sure, i have a few ideas on how to make it work even better an some tricks i learned along the way, but that would probably take a complete rewrite and right now i'm not really in the mood for that ;) So the game is provided as-is, but i might try to fix any really serious bugs.

If you feel like buying me a beer (or helping me get an android market account), the donation button is right above my avatar :D

By the way, if you think about trying to write your own android game, don't forget to check out andengine. That's a really powerful, and yet easy to use 2D game engine.

Last edited:

Sian

Dec 22, 2006
Singapore
Yes, me too.

And I really like this game too. Was playing it while it's available for WM6.1 QVGA screen. It didn't work on my WVGA HD2 last time. :( So, happy that it's coming to Android..

mr_deimos

Nov 22, 2007
I'm getting an Access Denied message when clicking on the link.

Oops, sorry about that. It seems that the link worked for me only because i was logged into SlideMe. I'll fix that later, and meanwhile i uploaded the game as an attachment to the fist post.

[EDIT]
It turned out that the app wasn't visible publicly until it got approved by slideMe. The link should work now.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:

KLBrey

Apr 8, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Very cool interface. Enjoyable with a high chance of replay.

I second the other member's notion to place this into the market. Your current version is AOK for release.

Perhaps there's another reason why you wont?

steve19137

Aug 1, 2010
Minnesota
this game is fantastic!!! it runs amazingly on my hero, and I love trying to get huge combos!! 5 stars!!!

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

EDIT : there seems to be a bug in the app. sometimes when I switch to another app via homescreen or long holding the home button, the gray bar underneath the notification bar that tells the name of the app doesn't go away. and you should put this on the market so we could get the updates.

djyosnow

Feb 21, 2006
!!!!!!!

If I'm not mistaken I remember this from my last WM phone (samsung omni) This is a fun game!

Demens

Jan 17, 2007
Excellent remake.

Makes me wonder though that what this game would be like if it had a mode with accelerometer enabled "physics". Tiles would fall freely to the tilted direction (only one direction at a time in tetris-like fashion) Angle of the tilt would off course relate to falling speed.
It would be the core mechanic with a little bit of action and accuracy.

BlackJack313

Nov 25, 2010
Brisbane
I tested your game out and it is really good (never played the original), all I can say is make sure you put it on the market as XDA devs have had their apps uploaded to the market by someone else trying to make some quick $$ :(

mr_deimos

Nov 22, 2007
Thanks for the feedback, i'm glad it works on your phones and you like it :)
As for the accelerometer control, i thought about it, but i'm afraid it would be just something you try and disable, as it will get in the way of the gameplay instead of enhancing it. But if i ever get around to rewriting this game to properly support high-res screens i might try implementing something like that. For now i think gestures control is easy enough. And just in case you didn't notice, the gesture can be performed anywhere on the screen and doesn't have to be long - only the width of a single block is enough.

The Link for the WM version its very old! i want to try in my tp2! the version WM, you can upload the wm too pls!??
Yeah, i know the project website is down, but it's still easy to find. However i'm afraid it might not work well with VGA or higher res screen. At least the winMo version didn't work on a HTC Diamond. But i guess there's no hurt in trying.

Very cool interface. Enjoyable with a high chance of replay.

I second the other member's notion to place this into the market. Your current version is AOK for release.

Perhaps there's another reason why you wont?

Yeah, i'm aware of that a**hole stealing other people's work. But right now i don't feel like paying 25 bucks registration fee without even a potential way of getting the money back - google doesn't allow selling apps from my country (yet).

Last edited:

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 (2021)
Hi
I remember Shift very well (played it on Ipaq h3970)
Unfortunately I can't run it on Samsung Spica (i5700)- FC right after starting, logcat attached.

Phone config:
-Samdroid 1.3.1(deodexed Eclair, info)
-kernel- Xmister's STD Eclair (info)
-graphic drivers- mixed files from other devices v3 (info, as one of developers I've tested those drivers on everything I could and there were no problems with other apps)

Attachments

• shift.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 6

mr_deimos

Nov 22, 2007
Hi
I remember Shift very well (played it on Ipaq h3970)
Unfortunately I can't run it on Samsung Spica (i5700)- FC right after starting, logcat attached.

Phone config:
-Samdroid 1.3.1(deodexed Eclair, info)
-kernel- Xmister's STD Eclair (info)
-graphic drivers- mixed files from other devices v3 (info, as one of developers I've tested those drivers on everything I could and there were no problems with other apps)

I'm afraid it might be a problem between the engine i used and your device. Could you try running the following app and one attached to this post?
http://www.appbrain.com/app/andengine-examples/org.anddev.andengine.examples

The one above is a demo of the engine's capabilities, and should be compiled against the latest engine version. The attached app is just some random quick test i was doing but it uses the same lib version as shift. So if one works and the other doesn't it will mean that compiling with newer engine version might fix the problem. It will take some time but it's possible. However if none of these work, then i won't really be able to do anyting about it :(

Attachments

• andEngineExperiments_3layers.apk
    542.3 KB · Views: 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some of you might remember the free windows mobile game Shift. It was really easy to play, but extremely addictive.
    I waited for an android port for more than a year, and finally when i didn't see it ported i decided to do it myself :) So, no matter if you spent long hours with this game, of if you never heard of it before, here's a chance to play it on your phone/tablet/ereader/microvave oven or other android device ;)

The game mechanics and scoring system are identical to windows mobile version, however the graphics and coding were redone from scratch since i didn't have sources for the original shift anymore.

I don't have an android market account and it's not likely i'll be getting one any time soon, so grab it here:
    http://slideme.org/en/application/shift
    c1ccab5b79aa25d0344d5c959be1292b.png

Or in the post attachment.

And some screenies:
    shift_screrenshot1.png
    shift_screrenshot2.png

One day, i'll have to make a youtube video of the game, but i didn't get around to this so far.

Initially, i developed it for myself, but now that i'm satisfied with the results i see no reason not to share it. After all we all love and use freeware apps ;)

It's my first android app and i was learning java, android api and the engine i was using as i went, so it might not be exactly perfectly optimized. But it does work smoothly on a G1, and the graphics turned out rather nice. It also scales properly to other screen sizes (though graphics won't be as crisp of course): I tested it on a motorola milestone and the android emulator with a few other screen resolutions.

I don't really plan to develop it much further, since i'm rather satisfied with it. Sure, i have a few ideas on how to make it work even better an some tricks i learned along the way, but that would probably take a complete rewrite and right now i'm not really in the mood for that ;) So the game is provided as-is, but i might try to fix any really serious bugs.

If you feel like buying me a beer (or helping me get an android market account), the donation button is right above my avatar :D

By the way, if you think about trying to write your own android game, don't forget to check out andengine. That's a really powerful, and yet easy to use 2D game engine.
    Great game - thanks!

I've noticed a very minor bug when playing on QVGA devices - it appears to assume a 3:5 aspect ratio, so you get black borders on the sides of the screen on a 3:4 screen

(See attached screenshot)

[edit] Oh, and there's a typo on the options screen ("Textue filtering")

Yeah, i know about these black borders. As i said the game was developed for a G1, and assumed its aspect ratio (2:3). Now that i have a motorola mlestone i have black borders on top and bottom too ;)
    It's the engine that tries to scale the image to fit any screen size while maintaining aspect ratio. And it's really nice it does since else the game could even be unplayable on other screens.
    Sorry, but i don't plan to fix this just now as it would require totally rewriting background handling - that's just another thing i'll do if i get around to actually rewriting the game with support for other resolutions.

And thanks for catching that typo :)
    I just noticed this had shown up in the market, published by "Chris Burchett" - Is that you, or is another Guy stealing apps?
    I just noticed this had shown up in the market, published by "Chris Burchett" - Is that you, or is another Guy stealing apps?

Same question. I downloaded your version in the first post just to be safe. Great Game!
    Wow, in the past few days that guy posted all sorts of apps, including anProxy (he calls it SuperProxy, but from the screenshot you can see the app is still labeled anProxy), amAze GPS (the description makes it sound like the full version and not their free trial, but who knows), and a game from GameLoft (definitely not free). I'd imagine he will be receiving some cease and desist letters from at least those last two companies since those are commercially protected IP.

Yeah - I've added lots of info to the Davincidevelopers thread - I've emailed gameloft the details, so if they weren't aware of it already, they should be now! (Assuming they don't just ignore my emai)