Honestly, no Verizon phone truly is worth upgrading from Thunderbolt.

Search This thread

orkillakilla

May 10, 2010
Tennessee
I don't have an upgrade till early 2013, which is ok because I'm perfectly happy with my tbolt. Maybe by then there will be something truely worth upgrading to.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
I get a free upgrade on March Never so I'm sticking with the T'bolt at least until I see what the devs do with ICS and Sense 4.x.

Then it's off to Ebay, Craig's List or ??? for a new phone, I'd R*E*A*L*L*Y like to go back to BlackBerry but I'd like a 4G BB. We'll see what comes along....

DroidGiant27

Jan 28, 2012
Annandale,VA
Tbolt Love

I got my Tbolt last summer and don't have an upgrade until April 2013. I was getting sick and tired of the phone and Sense so I rooted and it has completely changed my view of the phone. I am always switching the way it looks and customizing. I have stayed away from all Sense ROMs just wasnt cutting it for me anymore.

The GNex is appealing but I cant think of dropping 250-300 bucks on it now. As long as the Tbolt still gets the dev. love I will still use it.

xs11e

Oct 5, 2010
Phoenix
One thing I should mention, any new phone I get will have a removable battery and a removable storage card.

Neverendingxsin

Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
I agree with this completely. My biggest reason is having data and voice over 3g at the same time. The other day i was helping my friend with android phone, hes got sprint and the motorola photon 4g but has no 4g in my area. So as im helping him download some apps, BAM he gets a phone call and what happens to the download... it stops and starts over. So no data and phone calls was immediately hard for me to deal with since im used to having it on my thunderbolt.

Everything else about the phone is pretty amazing as well, the build quality, camera, and rooting it running thundershed, i mean its never been better.

Oh and i just got 4G in my area so im set, ive got no reason to upgrade to anything else :)

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I agree with the comments guys. When ICS is on this device, I will be keeping it until my upgrade comes up in December. The devices currently out are not enough of an upgrade. I am waiting for the next nexus device or quad-core HTC variant that has s-off and root.

LunaticSerenade

Nov 26, 2008
Columbus
Do you mean "soon" as in a geological sense such as several million years?
If so, you're right.

If you mean "soon" as in a couple of months you might be mistaken, nobody has ever accused Verizon of rushing out updates too soon! :D:mad::D:mad::D

Ha ha Newt has something in the works for the Bolt. Check out his Sense 4 Rezound ROMs...the man is a beast!

I went from the DInc to the Rezound (way better, btw), but my other line is a Bolt, and having used both....eh. I fully agree that the Dual Core is over rated on GB. Don't know about ICS. But the Bolt holds it's own.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
I'm in the same boat as most of you. My upgrade will come late this fall and I've been trying to plan out my upgrade, but so far nothing has come out that makes me want to really upgrade yet. At one point I was upset with my TB so I went down to Verizon to play with the new flagship phones and I actually left feeling glad that I had my TB. The only phones that looked good to me so far have been the Galaxy Note, S3, and One X. But then again none of those are really game changes, although the Note's screen is very interesting.

I heard rumors of a new RAZR HD coming out this fall, which is basically a spec and screen size bump of the RAZR MAXX, and an HTC rival to the Note. The iPhone 5 will also be out, so this fall will be interesting.

I upgraded from my Tbolt to my rezound for
more internal memory 16gb but true is 12gb after first boot with 2gb for apps

1.5GHZ dual core OCed to 1.837GHZ

Upgraded RAM

wider variety of flashable roms and newer customizations

TRUE Beats audio

Way better battery I have achieved 26 hours on 1 battery

Although I do miss my kickstand from the thunderbolt I was able to find a case with thunderbolt-like kickstand

LunaticSerenade

Nov 26, 2008
Columbus
I upgraded from my Tbolt to my rezound for
more internal memory 16gb but true is 12gb after first boot with 2gb for apps

1.5GHZ dual core OCed to 1.837GHZ

Upgraded RAM

wider variety of flashable roms and newer customizations

TRUE Beats audio

Way better battery I have achieved 26 hours on 1 battery

Although I do miss my kickstand from the thunderbolt I was able to find a case with thunderbolt-like kickstand

How in hell did you get 26 hours? The best I've gotten is 17....

carycooke

Apr 9, 2010
shelbyville, tn
I had the Motorola razr maxx for one week and sent it back
I just couldn't see paying that much for something the bolt was close to anyways
The razr was fast but moto blur sucks and the speaker crackles and is to quite and screen was not that great too dark
My bolt has good battery life pretty fast and does what I need it to do
I'm a sense fan too
Might burn a upgrade when one of those HTC phone / tablet hybrids comes out

Sent from my HTC Mecha using XDA

SubliminalME

Mar 23, 2011
Princeton
So, I'm sitting here reading this with my fancy new Galaxy Nexus sitting beside me.

I dropped my Tbolt on the concrete last week and spidered the screen for the 3rd time. I called Verizon, they gave me the option to upgrade early. I took it.

I was torn between Rezound and Nexus. What did it for me is this: The future is on-screen buttons. Buying a new phone that I'll be with for 2 years with capacitive buttons means that in ICS, it's already outdated (built for GB). When Jellybean comes out and I'm still rocking the phone made for GB...well, it'll be REALLY outdated.

So, I picked up the Nexus. The screen is awesome. Nice and big, easy to read on, great resolution...I even like the little curve to it.

The dev community is great...a lot of guys from TB...Droidtheory, Liquid, BAMF, Protekk. Lot of familiar faces.

Of course, 99% of the available roms (and there are dozens of them) are exactly the same, but with a few different menus in the specialized tweak dept. I'm running AOKP right now, and have found it to be my favorite. Immosyen is there with LeanKernal, and my new favorite is this whole derkernal.com business...good stuff. OC'ed to 1.42 Ghz, with AOKP, this phone is snappy...much quicker than the tbolt. I know benchmarks aren't everything, but in Antutu my wife's Tbolt (1.42 Ghz on Bamf) gets 3000ish and my Nexus gets almost 7000 at current settings.

ICS is awesome. Really good. Voice recognition...well, I put Siri to shame the other night doing voice searches. When you're dictating to the phone in voice, the words pop up as you say them and it doesn't stop until you push the stop button. Awesome.

But, I just ordered a new digitizer for my 'bolt and if that works out, the Nexus is going back to the store.

The reception is TERRIBLE. This phone, apparently, has the same radios as the Charge. My neighbor went thru about 20 of them before they sent him a Rezound and fixed his reception problems.

I'm sitting at work in a 4g area. 'bolt NEVER dropped to 3g. I just looked down and my Nexus is on 3g right now. I've tried all of the radios, leaked, OTA, stock, you name it. It must be true when they say that software just can't fix bad hardware.

So, if you live in a fantastic reception area, the Nexus is a VERY worthy upgrade. If you don't, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

watt9493

Dec 27, 2010
Croydon, PA
So, I'm sitting here reading this with my fancy new Galaxy Nexus sitting beside me.

I dropped my Tbolt on the concrete last week and spidered the screen for the 3rd time. I called Verizon, they gave me the option to upgrade early. I took it.

I was torn between Rezound and Nexus. What did it for me is this: The future is on-screen buttons. Buying a new phone that I'll be with for 2 years with capacitive buttons means that in ICS, it's already outdated (built for GB). When Jellybean comes out and I'm still rocking the phone made for GB...well, it'll be REALLY outdated.

So, I picked up the Nexus. The screen is awesome. Nice and big, easy to read on, great resolution...I even like the little curve to it.

The dev community is great...a lot of guys from TB...Droidtheory, Liquid, BAMF, Protekk. Lot of familiar faces.

Of course, 99% of the available roms (and there are dozens of them) are exactly the same, but with a few different menus in the specialized tweak dept. I'm running AOKP right now, and have found it to be my favorite. Immosyen is there with LeanKernal, and my new favorite is this whole derkernal.com business...good stuff. OC'ed to 1.42 Ghz, with AOKP, this phone is snappy...much quicker than the tbolt. I know benchmarks aren't everything, but in Antutu my wife's Tbolt (1.42 Ghz on Bamf) gets 3000ish and my Nexus gets almost 7000 at current settings.

ICS is awesome. Really good. Voice recognition...well, I put Siri to shame the other night doing voice searches. When you're dictating to the phone in voice, the words pop up as you say them and it doesn't stop until you push the stop button. Awesome.

But, I just ordered a new digitizer for my 'bolt and if that works out, the Nexus is going back to the store.

The reception is TERRIBLE. This phone, apparently, has the same radios as the Charge. My neighbor went thru about 20 of them before they sent him a Rezound and fixed his reception problems.

I'm sitting at work in a 4g area. 'bolt NEVER dropped to 3g. I just looked down and my Nexus is on 3g right now. I've tried all of the radios, leaked, OTA, stock, you name it. It must be true when they say that software just can't fix bad hardware.

So, if you live in a fantastic reception area, the Nexus is a VERY worthy upgrade. If you don't, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Just summed up the nexus and why I'm probably NOT getting it. All the same roms and terrible cell radios.

Sent from my ADR6400L

dante020

Dec 17, 2010
I have a Thunderbolt and I recently upgraded to the Nexus. It's a great phone except that I got horrible reception compared to what I was getting. You would think that reception would be a priority on a phone but I guess not...so I returned it for a Rezound.

The Rezound is also a great phone except the reception still isn't quite as good and when I have a weak signal I get horrible interference through the headphone port. Anyways, I'm back on my Thunderbolt waiting for something better.

Reactions: frank s

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I heard a rumor that you guys might get sense 4 soon, but who knows ;)

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
    I have a Thunderbolt and I recently upgraded to the Nexus. It's a great phone except that I got horrible reception compared to what I was getting. You would think that reception would be a priority on a phone but I guess not...so I returned it for a Rezound.

The Rezound is also a great phone except the reception still isn't quite as good and when I have a weak signal I get horrible interference through the headphone port. Anyways, I'm back on my Thunderbolt waiting for something better.
    Just curious how you are already eligible for an upgrade, I pre-ordered my Tbolt and received it the day it was released, and I am not eligible for an upgrade until Nov of this year.

I wasn't eligible. Sold my bolt for $120 and my wifes fascinate for $100 and bought the spectrum for $275. I'm done with buying subsidized phones only to get sucked into a 2 yr contract and then having my new phone be outdated in 3 months.

Sent from my SPECTRUM
    Does the Thunderbolt really have Gorilla Glass? My wife has dropped her Tbolt and cracked her screen twice now, so I assumed it isn't. That's disappointing if true as I was under the impression GG was very tough to crack.

Gorilla glass is tough to SCRATCH. It's still the same as regular glass with cracking

Sent from my ADR6400L