[Q] Any good news about this phone?

Search This thread

rhouse1983

Aug 6, 2013
I've been keeping an eye on this forum and it's basically become abandoned. It's pretty obvious no one is working on root, the bootloader frenzy is clearly over (though I had emailed the guy and he did say it was coming back but i'm not getting my hopes up), and no one has any idea about a 4.4.2 update. I love this phone as far as how it's run for me and all the specs, the active notifications are great, the OK Google now is awesome but it sucks when you follow Android news every day and you keep seeing all these other devices getting new stuff and new phones and the phone we have is barely a year old and has nothing new or exciting. I've even noticed the droid razr (when rooted) is running 4.4.2 and people are still having fun with it. So.......has anyone heard anything or has any suggestions for keeping our phone relevant to the conversation of development? Especially to those of us less fortunate that don't have root or a unlocked bootloader?

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
What do these new devices have that you need? A heart rate scanner? Fingerprint scanner? Crap ton of bloat? Unnecessary specs that do nothing but kill battery life? Meh.

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

FelixNZ

Jun 11, 2013
That would be awesome if the bootload unlocker chap started doing it again! Please let us know on here if he does!
I'm the same, love the phone (I have a mini) It's the perfect combination of features, size & price for me. But would love to be able to run HID drivers and remove all the completely useless (for me) NFL/Amazon/Verizon crap

Last edited:

teerout

Feb 12, 2012
Nevada
Samsung Galaxy S21+
I got to say I think the camera on this phone is phenomenal. I got my wife what I thought was a good nikon coolpix last year (350 bucks), but the ultra takes equally good pictures. the nikon has better zoom (26x optical) but the ultras' camera is more responsive and the burst shooting is better than the nikon.

reggie14

May 29, 2010
I got to say I think the camera on this phone is phenomenal. I got my wife what I thought was a good nikon coolpix last year (350 bucks), but the ultra takes equally good pictures. the nikon has better zoom (26x optical) but the ultras' camera is more responsive and the burst shooting is better than the nikon.

I've had problems with the camera in mine. The autofocus is slow and frequently fails to correctly focus on the selected subject.

doogald

May 27, 2010
I have my HDR setting to AUTO. Which is the default I think? I dont really like the wrist flip thing to launch the camera.

Yes, auto is the default. HDR has nothing to do with the gesture to launch the camera. It stands for high dynamic range imaging. Usually it's used to enhance photos in tough light. Traditionally a photo is taken with three images, one with normal exposure, one overexposed and one underexposed. The overexposed shot can show highlights in shadows, and the underexposed shot can show details in bright backgrounds. The three images are merged and can show details where you usually can't see them.

I don't know if the Ultra/Mini/Maxx actually takes three quick shots or if they are just using a filter, but I do know that having the HDR mode on can make the camera take longer to find focus - which is why I suggested turning it off.

bwheelies

Dec 6, 2010
I have my HDR setting to AUTO. Which is the default I think? I dont really like the wrist flip thing to launch the camera.

I love that feature! Once you use it a few times it will become second nature and the fastest way to ready the camera.

You can turn it off in settings.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Tharkys

Feb 14, 2012
What do these new devices have that you need? A heart rate scanner? Fingerprint scanner? Crap ton of bloat? Unnecessary specs that do nothing but kill battery life? Meh.

Cyanogenmod? Root so I can install an ad blocker? Unlocked bootloader so I can do whatever I want to my phone? At this point I would just be happy with root.

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
Cyanogenmod? Root so I can install an ad blocker? Unlocked bootloader so I can do whatever I want to my phone? At this point I would just be happy with root.

Good luck. Most new devices are going to be harder and harder to unlock and/or root. Why anybody would buy a device that's not a nexus and be disappointed with the stock overlay is making a mistake day one. Buy a device you want to use stock and see if it gets root/unlock. Otherwise buy developer editions or change providers and buy a nexus.

kanagadeepan

Jul 27, 2011
Sivakasi
^^^^^
Yes, I found that hard way... But luckily got some courage and got BL UL code from Chinese guy and I promise I won't get non-dev edition phone from BigRed in future...

The Nexus series is good, but the only very very bad problem is their battery life (or lack of it)... So I have got DroidMAXX...

mikekillerus

Jan 23, 2011

The ability to use mobile hotspot (Biggest one for me). Installing an adblocker. The ability to back up all my apps using Titanium back up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck. Most new devices are going to be harder and harder to unlock and/or root. Why anybody would buy a device that's not a nexus and be disappointed with the stock overlay is making a mistake day one. Buy a device you want to use stock and see if it gets root/unlock. Otherwise buy developer editions or change providers and buy a nexus.

I've had problems with the camera in mine. The autofocus is slow and frequently fails to correctly focus on the selected subject.

Try turning HDR mode off and see if it's better.