Linux on Universal (Update #4)

Search This thread
Feb 9, 2010
INIT Problem Solved

If you're having the init problem while installing linux on the uni just read SLD's post It's actually a previous post in this thread.. It works I tried it and works fine. It's on page 255

haker305

Jan 13, 2007
Can somebody upload working titchy-rootfs.tar? I really need it, the one I've generated yesterday isn't working even after mods from site 225...

sdose

Jul 23, 2018
Kernel Source

Hi.
I am working on an update for titchy. But now i got stuck with that 2.6.21-hh20 kernel. I want to compile a newer one. But first of all I need the htc-universal patches. Not everything is in mainline (like platform config, lcd config, ...).

The neilandtheresa.co.uk page seems to be totally dead, not responding anymore.

Is there anyone that has the kernel sources?

Thx in advance,
N.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    die-hard said:
    goxboxlive said:
    die-hard said:
    hi all i try to install linux on my sd (A-Data 4Gb)
    i make 3 partitions
    1. vfat (in that partition i make linux folder and 2577 folder) 30M
    2. ext3 (in that partition i put kernel, startup, initrd etc) 1000M
    3. fat32 make with fdisk.

when i start linux kernel don't work

1. In the vfat partition you place the files: haret.exe, default.txt (startup.txt ) and the zi ( the linux boot kernel ).
    2. In the ext3 partition you have to extract the opie-image to the root of the partition.
    3. i dont know, just forget about it for now.
    i use 3 partition for windows application and file

Yes i understand that, but does it work now? Can you boot Linux on your Universal?
    Beware og that you need to have the kernel, startup and haret on the fat partition and not at the ext3 partition. And try to make the ext3 partition smaller than 1GB.
    I am using all this on a 128MB sd card. 30 MB for fat, and the rest for ext3.
    ftp.xda-developers.com/Uploads/Universal/Universal LINUX Dev

Has anyone looked into the following folder:
    ftp.xda-developers.com/Uploads/Universal/Universal LINUX Development

I tested the rar password and it's ok.
    rar pwd:
    PU10 Intel PXA270 QTEK 9000
    Where can i download the latest files for trying to boot linux and testing gpe and opie?
    CR2 or Milanvot can one of you upload the requierd files so i can test it?
    vve said:
    madkat said:
    Can the root user be renamed...
    I think this is a funniest post in this forum :). Nobody in my life have ever asked me for this.
    Now, here's a new market - below are things we could make money from:
    1. Change superuser's name from "root" to "Administrator" - $20.
    2. Change superuser's name from "root" to anything you like - $50.

WTF? I wasn't asking someone else to do it for me.
    I was asking because I don't know much about Linux - but I have renamed the Administrator account in my WinXP Pro to something else to make the machine more secure. I don't think I've seen a Linux or Unix box with a superuser with a name other than "root" - so I decided to ask, rather than making any assumption that making the change would be impossible. Obviously if this Linux were sent out in an easy-to-install form, questions to the end user would be very brief and most would opt to enter no root password at all. That leaves you with machines all over the place with a superuser called "root" and either no password or a very simple password like "123" or "password". I don't know about you, but that strikes me as a very bad idea. Setting a default password is out of the question, and having a "strong password check" will only serve to frustrate people.
    madkat said:
    I have Haret, zi061203, default.txt
    I don't know how to configure default.txt to boot the kernel without mounting a root. It seems to automatically look for /dev/mmc/blk0/something and then complains if there is no "root="
    Milanvot's zi060312 kernel doesn't work without root partition on SD.
    Try to use cr2's zi kernel instead.