fastboot binary for windows!

Search This thread

Sumanitu

Jan 22, 2008
"cache: 70 megs, supposed to be temporary storage (/cache) but actually never used except by T-mobile OTA updates."

So is it possible that a future custom build of android could allow that partition to be used for apps or something else? 70MB is alot of wasted space for those of us that will never ever get an OTA again.

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
"cache: 70 megs, supposed to be temporary storage (/cache) but actually never used except by T-mobile OTA updates."

So is it possible that a future custom build of android could allow that partition to be used for apps or something else? 70MB is alot of wasted space for those of us that will never ever get an OTA again.

Cache is wiped when you install a new bootloader (or radio image) via recovery. It's not a good idea to put anything in /cache that you want to keep around.

It might be possible to tweak the partition map in the SPL, to make /cache smaller, and give that space to /data. But I'm not keen on trying out mods to the bootloader. If you mess that up you've got a brick. A brick brick. An "it won't boot at all" brick. The kind you build walls with. :).

Sumanitu

Jan 22, 2008
Cache is wiped when you install a new bootloader (or radio image) via recovery. It's not a good idea to put anything in /cache that you want to keep around.

It might be possible to tweak the partition map in the SPL, to make /cache smaller, and give that space to /data. But I'm not keen on trying out mods to the bootloader. If you mess that up you've got a brick. A brick brick. An "it won't boot at all" brick. The kind you build walls with. :).

I can definitely see why you wouldn't want to mess with the SPL, but someone had to tweak the SPL to get hardspl out, no? Giving the /data partition another 70 megs would solve most people's worries of not enough space for a good long time, until google or someone else releases a proper way to install apps on the sdcard.

And besides, doesn't it bug you that 70 of your phone's 256MB of flash will forever sit around idle? :p

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
And besides, doesn't it bug you that 70 of your phone's 256MB of flash will forever sit around idle? :p

jbq (Android team member who designed the download manager) did mention possibly opening up /CACHE to other usages other than a place to store temporary download data.

https://groups.google.com/group/and...read/thread/5a06ff2e95acb552/b564ac092ea470ac

Of course that doesn't really fix the problem that any data stored in cache is ephemeral-- it can at any time be removed to make space for an OTA update.

Sumanitu

Jan 22, 2008
jbq (Android team member who designed the download manager) did mention possibly opening up /CACHE to other usages other than a place to store temporary download data.

https://groups.google.com/group/and...read/thread/5a06ff2e95acb552/b564ac092ea470ac

Of course that doesn't really fix the problem that any data stored in cache is ephemeral-- it can at any time be removed to make space for an OTA update.

But if OTA updates never come due to having a modded recovery image and modded RC whatever, then the cache is more permanent.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
It will download; it just won't apply the update. And even if it didn't download, due to the design intention, the system would still treat /cache as a temporary storage area.

sinbot

Dec 18, 2008
So wouldn't it maybe be better to use /cache for the browser and market cache?

apfroggy0408

Jul 1, 2008
Instead of windows loading it as a usb storage device it's loaded as android 1.0 and it won't allow me to update the driver from the sdk. Any ideas to this?

pensive

Jun 29, 2009
fastboot with JF1.51

I am currently running JF1.51 the US version. Apparently I have the dev bootloader (I get the androids screen when I boot with camera+end call), but for some reason when I boot my device into the fastboot mode
(with fastboot on the screen) the Windows fastboot just does NOT see it.
fastboot devices produces no output, fastboot reboot produces a line which
says it is waiting for the device. I did check the windows drivers and it looks ok. When NOT in bootloader mode the ADB can see the device.

Any thoughts anyone?

I've compiled a fastboot binary for windows from the git source, using cygwin.

I had actually compiled it a couple of weeks ago, but I never could get it to work. I was looking into it again tonight and discovered that windows had installed the USB Mass Storage driver for the phone in SPL mode, instead of the android driver. So after updating it to the android driver, it worked! woot :)

THE REST OF INSTRUCTIONS DELETED FOR BREVITY'S SAKE.

pensive

Jun 29, 2009
fastboot with JF1.51 US (dll)

Well, I have to believe my senses, right? I looked at the .dll in the SDK1.5, it seems the same size as the one in the /windows/system32. I am assuming the dll we are talking about is 1,419,232 wdfcoinstaller01005.dll. The strange thing is that when the g1 is in normal state, not bootloader then adb can see it, and I can actually connect it via "adb shell". But the moment I put the phone into the bootloader state neither the fastboot not adb can see it anymore.

pensive

Jun 29, 2009
Still no success fastboot[ing] JF1.51

Thanks for the advice, but following that "how-to" did not get me anywhere.
I even reloaded the eng/dev bootloader with the same behavior. It seems that
after I boot the device in bootloader mode it will not go to "fastboot" screen until I plug in the USB connector, pressing the back just paints the same screen
with serial0. When I plug in the usb it automatically goes to fastboot. Sadly the PC fastboot still cannot control the g1.

Perhaps someone else has some idea.

pensive

Jun 29, 2009
Ok, I have resolved my problem with fastboot vs. JF1.51

Hopefully this helps others who have problems with Windows drivers. I am using 32bit XP on Dell Vostro.

It seems Windows treats normal G1 boot mode differently than fastboot mode.
You may have to install drivers twice. Once with G1 in normal mode, connected to the USB port. THen a second time with G1 in fastboot mode.
Even if it appears that the device/drivers have been successfully installed
when G1 was in normal mode, it may not be enough to use the fastboot under windows.

Thanks for the advice, but following that "how-to" did not get me anywhere.
I even reloaded the eng/dev bootloader with the same behavior. It seems that
after I boot the device in bootloader mode it will not go to "fastboot" screen until I plug in the USB connector, pressing the back just paints the same screen
with serial0. When I plug in the usb it automatically goes to fastboot. Sadly the PC fastboot still cannot control the g1.

Perhaps someone else has some idea.

KingMe26

Aug 31, 2009
i need help

ok i accidentally re-imaged the dreaimg.nbh while trying to flash a new startup pic. now it won even boot up to the android logo. please tell me i didnt brick my phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've compiled a fastboot binary for windows from the git source, using cygwin.

I had actually compiled it a couple of weeks ago, but I never could get it to work. I was looking into it again tonight and discovered that windows had installed the USB Mass Storage driver for the phone in SPL mode, instead of the android driver. So after updating it to the android driver, it worked! woot :)

Instructions:

(note: you have to check the USB device in Computer Manager when the phone is in fastboot mode. The computer sees the phone in fastboot mode as a different device than the phone in normal mode)

Download the file and extract it in the same folder as adb. (if you don't have adb yet, it's included in the android SDK for windows. go download it!)

Take out the usb cable and boot up your phone into the SPL (back + power). You have to have the dev bootloader for this to work (white background with 3 skateboarding androids).

Plug in the usb cable, and make sure the display on the phone changes from "Serial0" to "FASTBOOT". If it doesn't, try pressing the back button.

If it asks you to install drivers, then go ahead and use the same usb drivers that you used to get adb working. You can skip the rest of the instructions. Fastboot should be working for you now.

If it doesn't ask you to install a driver, you need to figure out if the correct driver is loaded already.
    Right click on My Computer, and click Manage, then go to the device manager

If you see an "ADB Interface" category at/near the top, with "HTC Dream" under it, then you're good to go. Fastboot should be working for you.

If you don't see an "ADB Interface" category, then it's likely that windows loaded the USB Mass Storage driver for it automatically. In the device manager, go down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", and see if you have at least one "USB Mass Storage device". If you have multiple ones, you'll need to go through each to find the correct one.

To find the correct one, right click on the USB Mass Storage device and click Properties. Go to the Details tab. In the combo box at the top that says "Device Instance Id", bring up the pull down and choose "Compatible Ids". If that is the correct device, then you will see 3 entries:
    • USB\Class_ff&SubClass_42&Prot_03
    • USB\Class_ff&SubClass_42
    • USB\Class_ff

Once you find the correct device, go to the driver tab, and click "Update Driver". Choose "No, not this time", then "Install from a list or specific location", then "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install", and then choose the same usb driver that you used to get adb to work.

After that's done, you should be good to go. Open a command prompt and type fastboot devices and it should list the phone.