[Q] Slow to receive messages on Wifi?

Search This thread

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
I bought 2 of these phones one for a friend and one for my mum. After noticing several times while messaging my friend on whatsapp that only 1 tick would appear usually for between 30 seconds to a minute or 2, i suspected there could be some issue going on with the wifi. After testing my mothers phone I can confirm there is an intermittent problem where the phone doesn't receive a notification as soon as it's sent. There's a lag anywhere between 30 seconds and a couple of minutes.

I've tested back and forth with a bunch of other phones on the same network and they suffer no issues at all, always instant notifications. I've also messed with every possible setting in the advanced Wifi options, done restarts, tried different channel for my router etc, the lag is there at least 50% of the time.

I should point out this lag is only there when the phones screen is off and in sleep mode. Once the power button is pressed to wake all delayed messages are instantly received. I've also tested and get the same problem with hangouts so it's not a whatsapp issue. I also don't think it's a router issue as my other phones are perfect and my friend is in a different house with completely different router and has the exact thing happening.

Is this a known problem and if so is there any way to solve it? Is there an updated radio that can be downloaded and flashed to the phone without rooting, or do we just have to hope a future update will solve this small but annoying issue?

Thanks.

makamarus

Oct 11, 2012
I had this problem since i got my first moto g. Now I have two with the same problem and a friend of mine aswell. All other notifications (email,tapatalk) are working great. I'm having problema only with mess apps like whatsapp,viber,line.

Inviato dal mio XT1032 utilizzando Tapatalk

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
I had this problem since i got my first moto g. Now I have two with the same problem and a friend of mine aswell. All other notifications (email,tapatalk) are working great. I'm having problema only with mess apps like whatsapp,viber,line.

Inviato dal mio XT1032 utilizzando Tapatalk

I'm hoping it's just a radio firmware problem as the messages are instant as long as the screen is on. I've not tested much on mobile data so it could be affecting both but right now I'm thinking it's a WiFi problem when then phone is sleeping (screen off). The messages always get through though eventually after a minute or two. It's almost like the phone only enables WiFi data for a few seconds every minute to check for notifications, like a battery saving feature. Whatever it is I don't like it, hopefully something that can be fixed in an update or by flashing a new radio.