Commuter vs Dualpro

Search This thread

Haesslich

Sep 15, 2006
I can't speak for the Commuter for the G2, but I've handled the DualPro and the Commuter for the Galaxy Nexus, which seems similar in design to the G2 version.

The DualPro doesn't have the plastic outer shell going up to the too and bottom edges, and the silicone seems thinner than that used by the Commuter. It's also thinner in the back area, so means the whole case is smaller than the Commuter appears to be. What I don't like is that there's very little front protection, due to an extremely thin rim and having a low lip over the front.

The Commuter appears more protective due to having more silicone on all sides of the case, plus the thicker plastic that almost reaches the rim on all four edges. But it's definitely not a slender case. It also covers all the buttons, which is good for protection but also hides the power button LED. It also has flaps for the USB and headphone poets, which the DualPro does not. It is also less matte than the DualPro, which means the plastic is slippery, more so than the soft-touch type plastic on the DualPro. It also has a taller rim, when I look at it in-box, which is also thicker than the DualPro's.

It's really up to you to decide if more silicone with a slightly more slippery back is better than less face protection but a better grip (due to matte plastic plus a thinner overall case).

woundedworld

Dec 3, 2011
I have the dualpro for the G2 and the commuter for the note 2. The dualpro is thin but I feel would survive a light drop. The commuter would probably survive a toss or throw.

However, I like to maintain some of the original slim feel to my phone. The commuter negates that, the dualpro is perfect for that.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Haesslich

Sep 15, 2006
Just compared the DualPro to the Spigen Slim Armor.

The DualPro has a VERY thin lip, but it's taller (by 1mm) than the Spigen, which has a lip about 3/4 as thick as the Commuter. The DualPro also has a thinner back than either the Commuter for the G2 I played with in store or the Spigen. The silicone is thinner on all sides, and is a softer, stickier rubber than either of the other two. But the plastic on the Commuter and the Spigen is not the soft-touch, rubber-coated type of the DualPro. That is a thin, but grippy case. It's also shorter than either the Commuter or Spigen.

But it's still bulkier than the QuickWindow case, and feels about as protective - which means it wouldn't be good for more than 20-30cm falls. The Commuter is the thickest and widest of the three, but has the most protection with its firm, thick silicone and port covers, plus a sturdy plastic shell and tall lip. The Spigen is shorter, thinner, but has little face protection due to its short lip. But the very firm TPU feels like it can handle a few bumps, as did similar TPU cases for my iPod Touch. Plus it has an okay grip, if not as good as the Incipio Dualpro. The DualPro is the thinnest two-part silicone case with a plastic frame I know of. It covers the corners and sides better than the official QuickWindow case, while being almost the same size. That is, IMO, also its weakness. It doesn't seem much better then the Feather, which has a thicker plastic shell that's the same width as the soft silicone here, and which also covers part of the top and bottom.

Still, nothing beats trying the cases yourself and seeing if one suits you better than the others.

WheresTrent

Jul 17, 2012
I only have experience with the DualPro, and I love it. That said, I have been pretty lucky in caring for this phone. I did drop it once in a parking lot, luckily, it landed on one of the corners. That corner of the case is now slightly scuffed, but the phone was fine. I don't remember if it landed face down or not. I do worry about bigger drops, but I also don't want the phone to be too unwieldy. I'm happy with the DualPro.

I have the black Dual Pro and have been very happy with the case. I definitely like that it does not add much bulk. Also that the camera lens no is recessed. With knock-knock the phone is usually facing up. As mentioned in another post the matte finish gives the case a better grip.

I have 3 kids, 2.5, 5 and 9 years old so I need to protect the phone. I let them all use the phone for games, camera or internet. So far its been dropped a few time in the house on tile, carpet and hardwood floors with no damage to phone or case.

Overall I give the case a 4 out of 5 stars. Maybe 5 stars if the headphone jack and USB port had covers.

I might have gotten the commuter case but Otterbox didn't have a version for Verizon's G2

liteon163

Apr 1, 2011
I had an Otterbox Commuter for my Galaxy SIII and I have an Incipio DualPro for my LG G2. The Incipio case feels better and in the conditions I use my phone there would be a negligible difference in protection.

I like the Incipio better.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

liteon163

Apr 1, 2011
Now that I have a black Incipio DualPro case on my LG G2, I think it's just about the perfect case for this phone. It strikes a perfect balance between low profile and protection. Its low-key good looks make it a great all-around case. I may never use my matte black Diztronic case again.

slainte_0317

Jul 12, 2010
Maineville-OH
Now that I have a black Incipio DualPro case on my LG G2, I think it's just about the perfect case for this phone. It strikes a perfect balance between low profile and protection. Its low-key good looks make it a great all-around case. I may never use my matte black Diztronic case again.

Funny, I went from DualPro t0 the Diztronic, and have stayed on the Diz a bit longer (plus I got if for under $9). Love them both, the DualPro does seem to add a bit more protection, thought. Definitely cannot go wrong with it.