Other device, comparisons to other devices, and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Please use this thread to discuss devices other than and any comparisons with other devices on or about the GS 5 in this thread and any other off-topic issues that are not needing a new thread.

Post with respect, this is a helpful community, hope we all learn from this stuff in here.

Last edited:

BubZX

Jul 5, 2011
What phone is everyone coming from that has decided to move to the S5? I'm on an S3 now and still debating if I want to use my upgrade on this phone or wait and see what the note4 I'd gonna be like or some other phone. Still on the fence here.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

What phone is everyone coming from that has decided to move to the S5? I'm on an S3 now and still debating if I want to use my upgrade on this phone or wait and see what the note4 I'd gonna be like or some other phone. Still on the fence here.

I have the S3 also. I'm debating the S5, but at the end of the day I think that I want a phone that's smaller than the note. The S5 doesn't have all of the features that I want (namely the larger internal memory), but I think it will be the best option out there. I'm also on the fence, but not sure I could wait until the note 4 comes along.

dpwhitty11

Aug 15, 2010
Houston, TX
I'm on the Moto X, and I have my upgrade June 1. I'm at a toss up between the S5, M8, or waiting to see the X2 or Nexus 6. But I hate waiting...

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA

I'm also anxiously waiting to see what the Note 4 will be all about, but I don't wanna wait till September or October. Still thnk it's too frikken big lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Teeeejay

Aug 1, 2011
Whippany, NJ
I'm coming from an M7. I used to love HTC but this phone really upset me. Horrible signal (4G basically doesn't work and a SIM swap didn't help), not-so-good camera, and other slow down issues that really annoy me. I've had every HTC phone on Sprint since the Hero and none have disappointed me as much as this one TBH. I wanted an S4 last time but went M7 instead and now I'm just gonna switch over for the S5. Mine's cracked and a replacement would be $200 so I'd rather spend less and get an S5.

Hippie459MN

Im on the HTC Evo3D still and looking to upgrade and was looking at the One (M8) But the more I look at the S5 the more I like it. My mom has the S4 and being a bit of an HTC guy, I really like her S4. Plus I like the fact that the S5 looks to have an SD card slot as where the One doesnt. Not sure what to do just yet but in about 3 weeks I will be looking to upgrade to something newer. So far the S5 is in the lead. If it gets root right away, then im all in!

brookegray

Mar 16, 2010

iPhone 5s

Goose0121

Sep 13, 2010
pearland
Please use this thread to discuss devices other than and any comparisons with other devices on or about the GS 5 in this thread and any other off-topic issues that are not needing a new thread.

Post with respect, this is a helpful community, hope we all learn from this stuff in here.

A far from stock s4 which I'll be giving to my lady friend.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jmocherman

Dec 24, 2010
I'm coming from the S2. It has been a great phone, but 3 years is a long time and it's starting to show need of retirement. Can't wait to see this beast.

slyjai

May 18, 2009
Los Angeles
Im on the HTC Evo3D still and looking to upgrade and was looking at the One (M8) But the more I look at the S5 the more I like it. My mom has the S4 and being a bit of an HTC guy, I really like her S4. Plus I like the fact that the S5 looks to have an SD card slot as where the One doesnt. Not sure what to do just yet but in about 3 weeks I will be looking to upgrade to something newer. So far the S5 is in the lead. If it gets root right away, then im all in!

The m8 actually does have a micro SD card slot up to 128 gb.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bhess

May 11, 2011
Tampa
Coming from the s3 myself. I was hoping for more competition but I don't see anything else out there as good.

I don't like the sizes getting bigger and think the s3 size is right for me but there just isn't other choices in that range.

Macguyver

Mar 9, 2011
Coming from the s3 myself. I was hoping for more competition but I don't see anything else out there as good.

I don't like the sizes getting bigger and think the s3 size is right for me but there just isn't other choices in that range.

I'm sure there will be an S5 mini, or the Moto X is the same size I think.

ghostzyden

Sep 27, 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Just upgraded to the HTC one max and it's pretty nice. There's not much development though. I'm getting the s5 for its waterproof feature and because it looks like the most balanced phone at the moment.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

robert93436

Jun 17, 2012
i'll be comming off of the s3 had that phone for a while now, looking forward to the s5 upgrade tomorrow

BubZX

Jul 5, 2011
Looking forward to seeing what you guys say about the phone in the next couple days to see if I wanna pull the trigger on this phone or wait.

pyrochance

Aug 27, 2012
Fort Worth
I'm coming from the S2. It has been a great phone, but 3 years is a long time and it's starting to show need of retirement. Can't wait to see this beast.

I agree, running the S2 as well. Been great so far.

The S2 has been a beast and really stood the test of time I think, but my charging port finally gave out on me 2 weeks ago so i've been forced to make a decision so im jumping ship in hopes that the S5 has the same great community the S2 has had. I just hope i dont end up regretting it, for example locked boot loader keeping us from asop and etc. :( or maybe i shouldve opted for the note3... hmm.. too late now!

I sure will miss this versatile little phone!

jpkelly05

The S3 and S4 are very similar in size and if I recall the S4 might be a bit smaller.

And the biggest thing that is putting me on the fence- Sprint Spark sucks if you depend on using data while on a call. This is kinda a huge deal to me and almost makes the S4 (Non-Triband) a better phone. But at the same time- S5 is kick ass other than that. It has the best battery life of any Android phone due to algorithms. But I may buy a S5 to get Framily plan- I know it sucks but it is something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Great News

@rompnit and MOAR is coming an a S5 Galaxy SOON!!!!!!

Hellllllll Yeah...... Already got the shut out from my life buddy lol!

Things are seriously gonna kick into high gear, for sure!

My original Mentor... Super Stoked!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hell yeah! I seen him post in the s3 MOAR thread and instantly got excited to get MoAR on this beast. Been with out my s3 for 2 weeks now and missed MOAR as soon as I got the s5. Glad he picked one up.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Upgraded from the ATT S3 to ATT S5 Active one week ago. The one thing that really stands out as a feature of the S5 Active that the S3 didn't have is being able to capture pictures and videos with audio underwater. However, features that I truly miss from my S3 are:

1. Car Mode aka Driving Mode aka Hands Free Mode
    ATT has disabled the Samsung Stock Car Mode and replaced it with their own. The ATT Car Mode prevents text messages or incoming calls from being read aloud. As much as I used the stock car mode in the car, I also used it while I worked out or go running where I have my phone in a sleeve or back pocket to make sure I don't miss text messages from my kids or when I just totally hands free screen messages and incoming phone calls. I can launch the Stock Car Mode from Trigger/Tasker however it just shows me an active Icon on the status bar but text messages or incoming calls are not being read or announced. Also, after exiting stock Car Mode, it leaves my speakerphone ON during phone calls so I'd have to keep turning it off or reboot the phone to completely have it off.

2. Voice Controls for Alarms
    I miss not having to reach for my phone when my alarm goes off and just yell "STOP" to dismiss the alarm. I have not tried it with the current music player either.

3. Auto Dock
    This must have something to do with KitKat based on what I've read so far. The phone needs NFC tags to launch the car dock app. I just went ahead and started using an NFC tag whereas my S3 would launch my car dock app as soon as I docked it.

I love the bigger screen, brighter display, camera and faster processor but I would love to find a custom ROM to bring back the stock Car Mode and Voice Controls.

Any ideas?

Yep. Post this in the AT&T GS5 forum. :p This is for Sprint variant.